Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
ArcSoft Low Light NR

Has anyone tried this program, I got a email saying it is half off the $79.00 for a total of $39.00.
How to use ArcSoft Low Light NR

12-30-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Just tried the trial, seems pretty bad, to be fair...
I would choose Topaz Denoise if you have the time (for masking and waiting for it to run, even on a very fast computer it is much slower than other programs), or Noiseware for faster performance.
I usually use Denoise.
01-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #3

R u kidding me? I have tried bouth of Low Light NR and Denoise. Low Light NR was more fast and provide more details.
Name:  Compare.jpg
Views: 1234
Size:  116.1 KB
01-07-2013, 07:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by itanium Quote
R u kidding me? I have tried bouth of Low Light NR and Denoise. Low Light NR was more fast and provide more details.
Attachment 154451
Hum, that is NOT how denoise should look like.
You should tweak it up a lot more than that, it looks like you just pushed the overall strength slider.

01-08-2013, 04:07 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by GabrielFFontes Quote
Hum, that is NOT how denoise should look like.
You should tweak it up a lot more than that, it looks like you just pushed the overall strength slider.
I used the pre-set template to denoise this photo. It's so complicated. Low Light NR only need one click. And can you give an example to compare the results? Just using the sample photo of Low LIght NR.
01-08-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Has anyone tried this program, I got a email saying it is half off the $79.00 for a total of $39.00.
I'm on a Mac, so I cannot test ArcSoft. However, I have become very fond of Noiseware 5 Plugin. It is much faster and easier to use than Topaz DeNoise, and the results are excellent. The current price is $80, which is about twice that of ArcSoft, but NW allows you a great deal of control over the process, which I gather AS does not.

Rob
01-10-2013, 03:58 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
I'm on a Mac, so I cannot test ArcSoft. However, I have become very fond of Noiseware 5 Plugin. It is much faster and easier to use than Topaz DeNoise, and the results are excellent. The current price is $80, which is about twice that of ArcSoft, but NW allows you a great deal of control over the process, which I gather AS does not.

Rob
"a great deal of control over the process" Sounds great. I have not this APP. Can you help to use the attached photo to test the denoise function by noiseware 5 plugin? Then we can compare the results for this. THX

Attached Files
File Type: zip DSC_0325.zip (844.4 KB, 95 views)
01-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried that process using Oloneo Photo Engine, which can basically do the same a while back with a stack of hand held shots.... I guess I asked too much from the alignment feature so the hand held stacked results were not too impressive. It would only work well is you have a tripod.
01-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

"a great deal of control over the process" Sounds great. I have not this APP. Can you help to use the attached photo to test the denoise function by noiseware 5 plugin? Then we can compare the results for this. THX
Itanium,

Here you go. You'll have to enlarge it in your browser. I don't know how well the file survived the round trip, but the original looks much better on my monitor.

Rob

Noiseware 5 Plugin
Attached Images

Last edited by robgo2; 01-10-2013 at 10:52 PM.
01-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Initially I thought we had a new NR competitor on the market. But then I realized that it was in fact a stacking program. Which is fine in itself... though I'm really not sure how this would benefit the user if/when we consider the resources needed for multi-shot images vs that of taking a lower ISO image with a longer shutter.

Having said that, there is another software which uses a similar approach but... adds a few extra features such as; superesolution, PF and CA removal as well as highlight and shadow recovery. Which is all pretty nice. However, the downside is that the software needs custom profiles built for the lenses used and so, it can all becomes rather daunting to use at times.

PS. This function can be performed in Photoshop using image stacking and averaging over layers.

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-11-2013 at 11:31 AM.
01-18-2013, 04:53 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Itanium,

Here you go. You'll have to enlarge it in your browser. I don't know how well the file survived the round trip, but the original looks much better on my monitor.

Rob

Noiseware 5 Plugin
Robgo2,
Thanks a lot. But the photo you attached is too small. I can't see the details. Can you help crop a 100% area that like I did before?
01-18-2013, 05:28 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Initially I thought we had a new NR competitor on the market. But then I realized that it was in fact a stacking program. Which is fine in itself... though I'm really not sure how this would benefit the user if/when we consider the resources needed for multi-shot images vs that of taking a lower ISO image with a longer shutter.

Having said that, there is another software which uses a similar approach but... adds a few extra features such as; superesolution, PF and CA removal as well as highlight and shadow recovery. Which is all pretty nice. However, the downside is that the software needs custom profiles built for the lenses used and so, it can all becomes rather daunting to use at times.

PS. This function can be performed in Photoshop using image stacking and averaging over layers.
Yeah, u r right. I find this stack function in photoshop. when I use photoshop to open these samples as stack, I still see a lot of noise. So I think this software is not only stacking the photos, but also to do more things.
01-18-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Just for the heck of it...

100 percent crops of ACR and Nik Dfine NR just more or less accepting default settings no special PP.
1 ACR
2 Dfine

Last edited by wildman; 01-20-2013 at 04:31 AM.
01-18-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yeah, u r right. I find this stack function in photoshop. when I use photoshop to open these samples as stack, I still see a lot of noise. So I think this software is not only stacking the photos, but also to do more things.
I think you're right.

I had a chance to take a closer look since I last wrote my comment and it looks like the software does a little NR along the way. And the evidence of this can be seen in the color detail shifts following processing. Having said, the software does a good job of reducing a process into a single click affair which seems like a pretty good deal. And so if we were comparing apples to apples, I'd say this would be an equivalent to stacking with NR. And so to investigate, I compared output from the ArcSoft Low Light NR with a stacking + NR action in Photoshop:

load in tabs for direct comparisson

NB. The CS5 Action was based on a default JPG NR profile. Though I'm thinking a little tweaking could yield better results. Likewise, since these were processed from poorly processed JPG images. I'd expect further definition and detail retention with RAW on the Photoshop Action side of things when all is said and done.

Hope this helps.

PS. the PS Action took aprox. 22 seconds to process on a high performance workstation.

Last edited by JohnBee; 01-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.
01-18-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I might have to try Arcsoft sometime, I've been using Noise Ninja and it's OK removing noise up to 3200, however anything above that is a mess.