Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2013, 03:34 PM   #16
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Mark. I've been using Apple computers, both laptops and desktops for over 12 years. They have each run Photoshop with the latest versions of their time with multiple layers and documents concurrently without a hitch. I invested in the Topaz suite on my 27" quad core i5 and they have similar processing times as you describe on 16Mp JPEGs (4-5secs). The 21.5" variety will do just fine - I'd consider getting the fastest one in the market for your uses - then you'll get the most mileage out of it. Having said that, I just passed on a 2008 MacBook (white) with 2GB RAM for next to nothing (I don't know what I was thinking at the time), but it was still running PS CS4 and the Topaz suite perfectly with under 10 second processing times.

QuoteOriginally posted by Khashoggi Quote
Bought an iMac 21.5inch last July and I really thought and still think it's a waste of money. How come people are so in love with imac/mac book? Thank god I still have my windows laptop for doing my photographing work or else I would've lost a lot of money and I had completely no jobs left to do!
You're entitled to your opinion, but have said nothing about why your iMac is a waste of money. I certainly don't 'love' my iMacs, but they've done the job for me consistently and reliably every time I've used them - never crashed and rarely quit my photographic software despite very intense work I put all my computers through.

01-01-2013, 03:55 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote

You're entitled to your opinion, but have said nothing about why your iMac is a waste of money. I certainly don't 'love' my iMacs, but they've done the job for me consistently and reliably every time I've used them - never crashed and rarely quit my photographic software despite very intense work I put all my computers through.
The only thing I can I do is play a game or be on the internet for 2 minutes and then I need to get the plug out as it doesn't work any more. Even with warranty, Apple refused to look at what the problem is&was. Therefor I paid over 1100 euros for a computer I barely used. Sometimes still use it&only to get on the internet. You don't buy an expensive computer for only using it for the internet or play a game for just 2 minutes.
01-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by khashoggi Quote
the only thing i can i do is play a game or be on the internet for 2 minutes and then i need to get the plug out as it doesn't work any more. Even with warranty, apple refused to look at what the problem is&was. Therefor i paid over 1100 euros for a computer i barely used. Sometimes still use it&only to get on the internet. You don't buy an expensive computer for only using it for the internet or play a game for just 2 minutes.
pebkac
01-01-2013, 04:23 PM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
pebkac
Sorry don't understand this. Apple doesn't want to fix the problem, and near apple resellers want me to pay 2000 euros to get it fixed while there's still a warranty on it.

01-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Apple says there is no problem then I have to assume the problem exists between the keyboard and chair.

I have never had that sort of problem with any Mac, and I have owned Macs back to the days of System 7.

Name:  Screen Shot 2013-01-01 at 6.27.56 PM.png
Views: 753
Size:  45.7 KB

My all time uptime record is over 60 days. Then Apple had to ruin it by releasing an update.
01-01-2013, 04:40 PM   #21

If Apple says there is no problem then I have to assume the problem exists between the keyboard and chair.

I have never had that sort of problem with any Mac, and I have owned Macs back to the days of System 7.

Attachment 153458

My all time uptime record is over 60 days. Then Apple had to ruin it by releasing an update.
No, strange then that everything freezes, can't do a thing anymore, they don't say there's not a problem, they just don't want to fix the problem unless I pay top price even the warranty. You really think I'm going to pay 2000 Euro for a mac less then 6 months old to get it fixed?
01-01-2013, 05:00 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Guys, the OP has already stated he wishes to buy an Apple. He did not ask for opinions on what people think about them vs. the Windows operating system. Please keep on topic.

01-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
MSM
Veteran Member

Original Poster
pebkac

LOL. I had to read your other post to get that one. I know I have been inflicted with this pebkac you speak of.

@Ash: do you mean your system takes 4 secs to finalize an image or load an image. What I meant was that any change and I mean any change meant a 4-5 sec penalty to take effect. So if I bump up the contrast slider for example, 4-5 secs to see the effect or make another change. I just get the beachball of death.

That being said. I appreciate the great advice you all have shared. I will be looking at the new iMac's when the money is available. I am in the process of upgrading my OS to the next cat (Mountain Lion or Lion which ever is newest I can't remember) and hard drives.
01-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All for 16Mp images: Slider changes or moving the image for recomposing and reprocessing within the Topaz prompt causes a 1 second delay on my iMac 27" i5 and an approx 1.5-2sec delay on my 2011 MacBook Pro. Clicking OK to enact the change on the whole image for Photoshop takes about 4 secs to finalise on both systems. Loading up an image takes about 3-4 secs.

All stats are much quicker for smaller images (esp <10Mp).
01-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #25
Pentaxian

pebkac
Hilarious! (And so often very true...)

To the OP, I cannot comment on your needs, except to say that a year and a half ago I upgraded to a 27" iMac with the 3.4Ghz i7 quad-core, and put in 32GB of RAM. I regularly abuse the system batch processing huge amounts of images (8-10GB at a time) for HDR, all the while stitching panoramas, surfing the web, and sometimes running Windows via Paralells. Nary a hiccup.

Worst computing experience I've had recently was thanks to Adobe Updater and CS6, nothing from my iMac. That said, I know part of my system's solidity is due to avoiding major OS upgrades (not updates, those I'll do). I'm sticking with MacOS 10.6.8 on my work machine until I'm dragged into the future by a hardware upgrade!