Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Image transfer from camera to computer

My computers have memory card slots, so I just remove the card from the cameras (K-10, K-20, & K-7) and insert it in the computer memory card slot. I then usually use the Microsoft Explorer program for a quick review of the photos before processing or permanently storing them. I know the camera comes with transfer cords to download images without taking the card out of the camera, but I have never seen any particular advantage to downloading the images this way.

I would be interested in comments on your way of downloading, including advantages to downloading in some other way than the way I have described.

01-02-2013, 10:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ivanvernon Quote
My computers have memory card slots, so I just remove the card from the cameras (K-10, K-20, & K-7) and insert it in the computer memory card slot. I then usually use the Microsoft Explorer program for a quick review of the photos before processing or permanently storing them. I know the camera comes with transfer cords to download images without taking the card out of the camera, but I have never seen any particular advantage to downloading the images this way.

I would be interested in comments on your way of downloading, including advantages to downloading in some other way than the way I have described.
Using the cord does have a few advantages, i.e.:
  • Lets you transfer photos even if your pc/laptop doesn't have a card slot
  • May be faster than a cheap card reader (i.e. high-end cameras support USB3 and most others support USB2)
  • Lets you access additional camera features, such as tethering (this depends on the camera make and model)
  • Minimizes wear to card casing and reduces the risk of physically damaging the card
I generally use the card slot in my computer, but lately I've started using the cord too as I've broken one of my cheaper SD cards after taking it out so many times. The casing literally came apart!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use rhe usb lead mostly but the precaution is not to pick up the camera , forgetting it is plugged in.
I did that once and broke the connector tracks on the camera's main board.
01-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've never used the cord as both laptop and PC have card readers. I think there is a marginal speed advantage on the card reader but only if you have a good quality one. I would rather wear out a card than the cord socket on the camera.

And mostly because the camera is often on a tripod in the studio so taking it off to connect to the PC would be too much work. Now if we had real tethering that would be a different story.

01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cord....

because its a serious PITA to forget the card as you zip out to catch a flock of turkeys and realize you cant shoot with the card stuck in your comp, not your cam...

Last edited by Bramela; 01-02-2013 at 12:08 PM.
01-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Card reader, not as much fastness using the cord. Besides depending on how may photos you are transferring, the cord method drains the batteries in your camera.
01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
because its a serious PITA to forget the card as you zip out to catch a flock of turkeys and realize you cant shoot with the card stuck in your comp, not your cam..
I have lost count of how many times I have done that, yep, a real PITA. I still use the computer card reader though, as some time ago, I used the cord and caught the cord with my hand as I stood up and damaged the connection in the camera. In for repair it went and never used the cord for download from card since.

01-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that I first thought this was not a very interesting topic until I read through this. Hmmmm....somethings here I haven't experienced or thought of. I use a card reader typically as I want to maximize my battery life on the camera. I've not had the problem of forgetting the card as I off load it to the computer with the camera's door open and replace it right after download and then typically I have a spare card in the battery grip just in case. However, I haven't thought about ware on the SD cards. Very interesting.
01-02-2013, 12:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Using the cord does have a few advantages, i.e.:
  • Lets you transfer photos even if your pc/laptop doesn't have a card slot
  • May be faster than a cheap card reader (i.e. high-end cameras support USB3 and most others support USB2)
  • Lets you access additional camera features, such as tethering (this depends on the camera make and model)
  • Minimizes wear to card casing and reduces the risk of physically damaging the card
I generally use the card slot in my computer, but lately I've started using the cord too as I've broken one of my cheaper SD cards after taking it out so many times. The casing literally came apart!
+ 1 !!!
  • Minimizes wear to card slot connector pins, and possibilities for damage to pins.
01-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

My PC doesn't natively support USB3 so I bought an all-in-one card reader that takes a 3.5" drive bay. It plugs into a PCI-e socket and gives 4 USB3 sockets, CF, SD, MMC, etc. sockets. However the CF socket (for my *istD) isn't great and I bent some pins putting in a card. I had to pull it all apart to fix it.
01-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I use a Lexar card reader for my desktop, as it doesn't have a built-in card reader. My laptop does have a built-in reader. With both systems, I only "copy" the files to the computer, take a quick look to see if everything "copied" OK, and then reinsert the card in the camera. I format the card in the camera. I know there are pros & cons on formatting, but formatting in the camera is the way I started and I see no reason to change. Like blackcloudbrew, I leave the camera door open to remind me to put the card back. I also have a spare card in the grip in case I do forget to put the original back.
01-08-2013, 10:53 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Use the card slot on my iMac.
01-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I use a card reader. I don't even know where my cords are.
01-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I got away from connecting a camera 3 cameras back. I have an internal card reader but don't often use it. Any modern computer has a USB slot and you can buy pocket thumb drive size reader that will plug into that for just about a buck on fleabay. The transfer has always seemed faster and I always allow windows to delete them from my card after copy.

Now the only downside is you do have to remember to put the card back in the camera. As long as I take the camera bag I would have a spare card but if grab just the camera and go it can be a problem.
01-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Now the only downside is you do have to remember to put the card back in the camera. As long as I take the camera bag I would have a spare card but if grab just the camera and go it can be a problem.
Having been caught out all too often, I put another card in to the camera immediately after removing the card to be copied.