Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 11:49 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lighroom AND Photoshop?

I have Lightroom 4.3 installed right now. I have never had a program like this, so getting used to it will take some time...I have noticed there are things I cannot do in it. Am used to an old version of Digital Image, I could make cards, labels, etc. and limited editing on my pics. So, I just got a good deal (I think!) on a photo printer and it came with a DVD of photoshop elements 8. My question is, would it be worth it for me to install this program and use BOTH, or should I just forget about it and let it sit in the box??? BTW, am a newbie at all this stuff if you can't tell, LOL.

01-03-2013, 11:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

You may as well install it. To begin with try getting used to Lightroom first though! And keep your old programme too; AFAIK neither of the more advanced programmes offer cards / labels making features!
01-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use LR3 and PS Elements 10 and find it very useful to have both. I also have Topaz accessible in my Elements 10.
01-03-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Install it. Lightroom is great for what it does but layers and pixel level editing it cannot do. If you install Elements LR should see it and install menu options so you can just send images to Elements for editing and they flow back into LR when you are done. Works very smoothly.

As ihasa says though try hard to get used to Lightroom, there is a learning curve but once you understand how it works you will do most of work there, exporting to Elements only for fine editing.

01-03-2013, 01:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I absolutely love Lightroom for managing pretty much all aspects of my photo library, including doing 99% of my editing. However there are times where you need something like Elements to do more elaborate editing, so I defintely view them as supplemental.

PS: Consider getting "The DAM Book" by Krogh to help you leverage the library management aspect of LR.
01-03-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I only use LR to mamange my photos and do the basic editing, the real stuff happens in photoshop.