Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Lightroom or Photoshop

Could someone explain the difference between "Lightroom" & "Photoshop"?
Thanks

02-18-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

lightroom is a pretty advanced photo processing tool, it is designed to help you "post process" your digital camera images, through the use of data manipulation, such as exposure, contrast, sharpness and a long list of other cool features

its very intuitive (atleast for me), has a very good internal image cataloguing system and document filters to help sort out through all that mess (gets handy when you start having more than 10000 images on your harddrive)

photoshop is an advanced image procsessing tool, it i used to manipulate various existing images to produce... whatever you want to, add text, cut/paste/merge etc etc etc, there are so many things photoshop can do to existing images its mind blowing and people are cosntantly finding weird things to do with it.

the newer photoshops have the ability to processes RAW images, but lightroom simply does it better.

if all you want to do is develop your digital camera images, lightroom is all you need.

if you want to learn advanced image manipulation for commercial and advertisement use, or website design, then i would go with photoshop.

get both if you do both, ie, take a photograph then create something out of it other than a photograph.
02-18-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Both are Adobe products. Lightroom is mostly a database organizer for your photos with folders, keywords, flags, and symbols to help in searching your photos. It also has a powerful post processing program with lots of options and controls and does not modify the raw or original electronic storage file.

Photoshop is a small group of programs with PS Elements being the lower end and PS CS3 being the high end. They are an extremely powerful photoprocessing program that can modify and manipulate the images in all kinds of ways.

I use lightroom about 95% of the time for any photoprocessing. I have tried different free programs and tehn have come to use and accept these.

If you have a student in your house there are ways to get student discounts on line for the programs. Both allow you to try for 30 days. Well worth the effort.