Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Pentax Camera Utility Issue

Anyone ever experience anything like this with the Pentax Utility?

I browse my images in the Pentax software before choosing the ones I want to edit. However, I leave quite a few out because they have this weird moire type issue in some of the highlights and flares. I only just recently noticed as I was preparing to send my K-5 back to Pentax to be looked at that this is actually just a software issue. In the screenshot you can see that the image on the left from the Pentax Utility has the distortion in the upper right. Where as Photoshop Elements on the Right does not show the same distortion. Those are 100% views of the corners, the distortion is also visible at 20% which is what I browse them at. So here I am thinking I had some real sensor issue when it was in fact just the Pentax Camera Utility.

Running Version 4.40

I still plan to send the camera back for servicing due to having way too many dead pixels in videos. There's about 25 plainly visible ones and pixel mapping doesn't seem to be fixing it. Stills are fine but videos are not.

It's going to suck being without my K-5 for a month or however long it takes but at least I'll know if something else is wrong with it when I get it back.

Attached Images

01-06-2013, 06:26 PM - 1 Like   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In Laboratory mode, go to Custom Image. Then select Natural or other (pull down menu). (Do not use Camera settings)

(If the Custom Image does not appear, go to Window (6th top menu from left) and select Custom Image.

I am not sure why but as soon as you start to PP a shot, you need to avoid Custom image/Camera setting.

Hope that the info help.

Last edited by hcc; 01-06-2013 at 09:37 PM.
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks hcc, I'll do that from now on.

It looks like simply Unchecking Set Contrast will get rid of it as well.
01-06-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
It looks like simply Unchecking Set Contrast will get rid of it as well.
Chris
Not always. I usually uncheck Set contrast, and I still have so often the same issue. I found that the simpler way was to set a Parameter file which set the Custom Image settings to 'Natural' that I apply to each file, unless I want to apply other parameters.

Hope that the comment will help.

01-07-2013, 06:53 AM   #5

Original Poster
Ya, I don't actually do any editing in the Pentax Utility though. I do it all in Photoshop and Adobe Camera Raw.

It is nice to know I can do change that setting and be able to see an image that is odd normally again though.