Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 05:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Free Legit Copy of FULL Adobe CS2 - Gizmodo

UPDATE: There are conflicting reports about this. Gizmodo says it's a free giveaway. Some commenters to the article say it was meant only for people who already had a legit copy and needed to download it again. I don't know which is true, and since I have CS6, I'm not going to dig into this. I'm just trying to share what I thought could be a good deal for some people. In other words, if this isn't true, don't shoot the messenger.

Link: Adobe - CS2 Downloads

Grab Photoshop and CS2 For Absolutely Free Right Here
Sam Gibbs - Gizmodo UK

Adobe's giving us all a late Christmas present. You can grab yourself a free, legitimate copy of Photoshop and the rest of the Creative Suite 2, right now, direct from Adobe. No catch.

Well, unless you think having an Adobe account is a catch. Anyway, apparently Adobe's tired of keeping the activation servers running to support legitimate installs of the 10-year-old CS2, so it's decided to just give it away. Sounds great to me.

Handy if all you need is a quick image editor, Photoshop CS2 will still do all the basic things, just not the new fancy smart ‘content aware‘ stuff. Free's free, so get over to Adobe.com and get downloading. [Adobe via Twitter]

Update: The install for Mac is actually for Power PC devices, so you'll need Mac OS X v.10.2.8–v.10.3.8 or Rosetta to get it working.

Last edited by NiftyFifty; 01-08-2013 at 06:00 PM.
01-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nifty:

Any idea if this would allow one to "update" since the price is usually lower that way than to buy the most recent release?

JP
01-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Nifty:

Any idea if this would allow one to "update" since the price is usually lower that way than to buy the most recent release?

JP
With Adobe you can only update two revs back usually with the update price. The price goes up the older your update copy is. This actually sucks for creative suite 6, since they are counting CS 5.5 as a full rev

Its much better to get the education price if you can find someone who is enrolled in some class somewhere.

Last edited by lgt525; 01-08-2013 at 07:52 PM.
01-08-2013, 06:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

These are only for people who have previously purchased licenses -

QuoteQuote:
Update on CS2 and Acrobat 7 Activation Servers
Posted by Adobe Corporate Communications on January 7, 2013 4:05 PM in Creatives, Digital Media

Effective December 13, Adobe disabled the activation server for CS2 products and Acrobat 7 because of a technical glitch. These products were released over 7 years ago and do not run on many modern operating systems. But to ensure that any customers activating those old versions can continue to use their software, we issued a serial number directly to those customers. While this might be interpreted as Adobe giving away software for free, we did it to help our customers.
Source - Update on CS2 and Acrobat 7 Activation Servers (Adobe Featured Blogs)

01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote
With Adobe you can only update two revs back usually with the update price. The price goes up the older your update copy is. This actually sucks for creative suite 6, since they are counting CS 5.5 as a full rev

Its much better to get the education price if you can find someone who is enrolled is some class somewhere.
Student price soinds good: I have a son who just "re-enrolled" in post sec. school now on a two-year full time program.
Thanks for the hint!

JP
01-08-2013, 07:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote

Its much better to get the education price if you can find someone who is enrolled is some class somewhere.
Thanks for answering that for him/her, because I didn't know the answer.

QuoteOriginally posted by RonakG Quote
These are only for people who have previously purchased licenses -

Source - Update on CS2 and Acrobat 7 Activation Servers (Adobe Featured Blogs)
Thanks for digging more into it and letting everyone know.
01-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Student price soinds good: I have a son who just "re-enrolled" in post sec. school now on a two-year full time program.
Thanks for the hint!

JP
@jpzk - Some schools have partnerships with Adobe for even better deals - mine will give a single CS 6 license to students enrolled in a number of programs at no charge, including some programs where it isn't actually required for any of the course work. The school's IT department or the bookstore should have some idea of what is available. Some programs here will also give you licenses for various microsoft productivity software at no additional charge (beyond tuition...).

01-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
@jpzk - Some schools have partnerships with Adobe for even better deals - mine will give a single CS 6 license to students enrolled in a number of programs at no charge, including some programs where it isn't actually required for any of the course work. The school's IT department or the bookstore should have some idea of what is available. Some programs here will also give you licenses for various microsoft productivity software at no additional charge (beyond tuition...).
I'll ask sonny if he could check with his school.
This would be just great.

JP
01-08-2013, 09:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I had to try this out just to see if it would go on Win 7 or not. I haven't run CS2 on 7, only XP, and it was quite a few years back. I just installed one application to see if it would go on and it did. No problems at all. Plays nice with CS6 even, wow. You get a message telling you that it can't activate but that's no problem. The serial # works and you just click don't register and that's that. So basically yeah, that's CS2 Suite, gratis, though just an FYI, the 4th disc for the deluxe suite they mention is not there to dl so it's Basic CS3 unless you have your original discs I guess.
01-09-2013, 07:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I can confirm that it works fine on Win 7. Installed last night.
01-11-2013, 04:16 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Thanks for the link, Nifty!
01-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Somebody at Adobe had a senior moment.
Adobe almost does something amazing by accident | Ars Technica
01-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #13
Forum Member

BTW this doesn't work on Intel Macs.
01-11-2013, 10:32 AM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ploetzlich Quote
BTW this doesn't work on Intel Macs.
It is meant for power-pc macs but you could run it on an intel mac if you have an older version of OS 10 (10.28 or older) that supports powerpc emulation.
01-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Running Photoshop CS6 and Photoshop CS2 again is something. I knew CS6 was freaking slow to load but watching CS2 load up like THAT with all the same plugs is just amazing. The tools in CS6 are more advanced, but I'm not too sure that I don't like CS2 better. It doesn't take 3 minutes to load while "measuring memory" or whatever it's actually doing. (Or pause so long when applying a plug.) It doesn't sputter and cough and flat out refuse to running so many of my older plugins either. I'm beginning to remember why I actually enjoyed working in Photoshop again playing with it.

I'd forgotten it had non destructive editing too. Thought it went back beyond that but that's not so. CS2 is still darned useful, I think. It runs a sight faster on Win 7 with 8 gigs of memory than it's supposedly better descendant does and that's just weird considering CS6 is touted as being faster, NOT. Oh and it's not nearly as picky about my video card that I had to UPGRADE to suit CS6, and that it still doesn't seem to be able to use properly all the time even though this card was supposed to be compatible. I guess it's true what they say sometimes "newer" doesn't always equal better. I mean technically CS6 is more sophisticated can do a bit more in terms of 3D and all that, but the disadvantages that it has really negate a lot of that for me.

I just hate waiting for it all the time. It's just so freaking slow even with the updates in place. I'm on a fast computer with 8GB of RAM and have a souped up graphics card. CS6 should be flying but it works like I'm on a 10 year old computer sometimes...

Last edited by magkelly; 01-12-2013 at 01:46 AM.