Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Fyi, Corel Aftershot sort of does the same thing sometimes, briefly showing a rough preview while sharpness and other effects are applied.

01-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #17

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
why do i need a pentax profile ?! the lightroom version is always an improvement ... to me
01-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Colours but there is a Pentax profile though but just 1.
01-23-2013, 07:25 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Its the JPG preview being replaced by the actual RAW data.

Shoot a bunch of monochrome or filtered images in RAW+JPG and you'll see the funky JPG camera-induced filters get replaced by the basic RAW data pre-filtering, and if they're loaded side by side you'll notice this right off since the RAW file will be sitting besides the JPG in the listing.
EDIT:

Last edited by Sagitta; 01-23-2013 at 07:39 AM.
01-23-2013, 02:15 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paranoia23 Quote
why do i need a pentax profile ?! the lightroom version is always an improvement ... to me
Because a good profile can "improve"* the image more?

You can use devices to get a better profile for your particular camera (not all cameras, even by the same brand/model, are identical) and particular lighting environment.

For 99.99% of photographers, the built-in profiles are just fine. One might argue that 99% of people can't see color well enough to know better anyway. (see FM 100 Hue Test)

* Additionally, the word "improve" is potentially quite a subjective term as well. A lot of photos need to be warmed up or cooled down, or have contrast added, etc... to give a desired effect, so your "perfect" profile is pretty much out the window.

If the Lightroom camera profile is close enough for your work, then I wouldn't get all hung up with trying to "make it perfect". As long as you stay consistent with one profile, you should be fine.
01-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #21

Original Poster
i think i misunderstood what u meant ... thought i wanted to say that the raw conversion is worse and would need a profile to get closer what is produced by the jpg engine of the camera.

thanks for the link with the test .. interesting .. i got 74 ... but this test measures my screen more then my eyes
01-24-2013, 09:02 AM   #22
Veteran Member

thought i wanted to say that the raw conversion is worse and would need a profile to get closer what is produced by the jpg engine of the camera.
Later part is actually true but if it's better depends.

01-25-2013, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

You may not need it, but some others might.

If what you see on the LCD when you take a photo is what you like, then you'd probably want a profile to get you close to that image to start with. On the otherhand a profile could be used to further improve what the LR version initially shows.

In my workflow, the generic LR version is usually better than the image embedded in my photo by the camera; my camera's jpg is set to capture the most dynamic range possible, which means a flat contrast. That helps me know what is in my RAW file. However, the generic LR version still goes through a lot of changes in my workflow. A profile could be used to minimize the amount of developing by getting your image closer to your "typical" end point. Obviously it can't be perfect, but it can be a start. A profile is mostly best to tweak the colors so that the are closer to what you might expect (if you are adjusting colors a lot anyway).
01-27-2013, 12:40 AM   #24

Original Poster
the idea with the flat jpg is good ... but unfortunately i do alot of family pictures and my wifes is using the jpgs :\
01-27-2013, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #25

I think this video explains what is happening.

Why Does the Photograph?s Preview Change in Lightroom and Bridge? | The Complete Picture with Julieanne Kost | Adobe TV
01-29-2013, 02:57 PM   #26
Veteran Member

the idea with the flat jpg is good ... but unfortunately i do alot of family pictures and my wifes is using the jpgs :\
Yes... you can only get away with it if you aren't really shooting the jpgs for any purpose. If you save a custom JPG preset for flat and then have one for not so flat, you can change when appropriate. I'm not sure if that is entirely possible, although it may be through the USER settings in some of the newer Pentax cameras. My own luck, I'd forget to change the settings, but many people are better than I am. My reliance on RAW makes me more careless about the in camera settings such as white balance, contrast, etc.

As it is, if one gets to a nice result quickly using a preset or profile in lightroom, they can just quickly export JPGs on import for family members who don't care much. That's why I mostly do anyway. Adjusting basic photos from family gatherings is wasted time since my family has no appreciation of what RAW files can do and the results I can get. They like snapshots.
01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

The compressed DNG format that looks like JPEG actually adapt his colourprofile so that it can capture a wider range when needed or a shorter range for more precision. It also has WB baked in so you can change it like with RAW.

I'm curious to see the first Pentax with this format.