Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I would go for the Dell ...
HP, LG and (some) Samsung are also options.

01-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
HP, LG and (some) Samsung are also options.
I was referring at the "list" he mentioned ... Asus or Dell ...
01-17-2013, 02:10 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Your comment was so alone so didn't knew that.

here is good review site.
TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News
01-17-2013, 02:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just in case you didn't know Windows 7 has a calibration tool hidden in the control panel section. I discovered this tool after looking at some of those pricy options mentioned above.

I've been struggling with mine since I upgraded and could not seem to get it just right using the monitor controls. It was my gamma that was off and today I got things back to normal.

01-17-2013, 02:35 PM   #20

I would recommend Dell too

One more thing to check is the gamma setting of your current monitor

Prints can often appear darker especially after a stretch in front of your monitor editing, brightness can tweaked easily, getting good colour is the biggest challenge
01-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
I recently printed one of my pictures to my small photo printer and the image was really dark compared to how it looked in Lightroom 4.
I have the same problem with LR4 and my Epson Artisan printer; the prints are dark and the colours are off.

If I check the "fix photo" option in the printer dialog box, my prints come out beautifully. I haven't had the time to screw around with it too much but I highly doubt it's my monitor.

Have you tried printing from another application? Maybe try the Pentax Digital Camera Utility?

Might want to read up here: Adobe Community: PS and LR are producing bad prints but other programs are not...

Confirm that the monitor is indeed the problem before running out and buying a new one.
01-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #22

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Lots of good info, thanks guys. Using the info provided I shall dig deeper before buying a new monitor.

01-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

more info you asked...
Why are my prints too dark
01-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One more thing ... don't believe anyone who says they got a print to exactly match their monitor. It's impossible since one emits light while the other reflects it. What you're actually looking for is a reasonably close facsimile on your screen.
01-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #25

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
For those that are interested in a monitor then this seems like a good option. It's the Asus monitor and comes bundled with Spyder Express:
http://uk.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitors/PA248QJ/
01-19-2013, 12:06 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

Here is an interesting article n colour printing explaining the relationship of RGB and CMYK for home printing.

Greetings

Basics of RGB and CMYK for ink jet printing at home - Inkjet Printer Reviews - Zimbio
01-19-2013, 03:53 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
One more thing ... don't believe anyone who says they got a print to exactly match their monitor. It's impossible since one emits light while the other reflects it. What you're actually looking for is a reasonably close facsimile on your screen.
On wikipedia page Color space - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia is this image comparing RGB and CMYK Color Spaces:

01-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Here's an interesting article on how to use your camera to check the monitor brightness.....

http://www.hermitage-ps.co.uk/Files/CheckMonLum.pdf

I've checked it on my calibrated machine and it's pretty accurate.

FWIW unless you're using a high end monitor and printer, sRGB is the color space you should be using for everything.
Monitor, Programs, and printers. All average systems can't display the full spectrum of the sRGB color space, much less
full RGB. If you can't see it or utilize it, why process and print with it.

IMHO, reset your machine, try the brightness check, and go from there.
01-19-2013, 12:43 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thechumpen Quote
I recently printed one of my pictures to my small photo printer and the image was really dark compared to how it looked in Lightroom 4. I researched and discovered the whole topic of monitor calibration.

I have an NEX 2470WVX that I bought before I got interested in photography. I have used the monitor calibration tool built into Windows 8 (Calibrate your display) and the problem I have is that the test screens look completely different depending on my vertical angle of viewing. E.g. if you look at the gamma test in the link then this looks completely different depending on whether I hunch down in my chair or sit up.

This makes me think I am on a losing battle with this monitor. Even if I buy a calibration solution it is always going to look different depending on my viewing angle.

My question - is this the same for all monitors or is mine just no good for photo editing etc? Can anyone recommend a 24" monitor that is more suitable?
One key concept missing from this discussion is colour management. Colour management is the framework that controls how images are rendered throughout the processing chain from camera to monitor to printer.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it is necessary to have a basic understanding of colour management in order to have any control over how your images look, particularly when printed. If you understand colour management, you will understand how and why monitors and printers are calibrated. It's all about profiles.

Monitor calibration is an important part of colour management. So is colour managed workflow when printing. Lightroom has good capabilities in that regard, so I suggest that you seek relevant online Lightroom tutorials or books.

In a very quick search I found a decent-looking tutorial about colour management. It's a few years old, so some hardware specifics may be outdated, but I would say the underllying ideas are laid out pretty well: Color Management Primer: Overview - photo.net. Any good book about photo editing should also have a clear explanation of colour management.

With regard to your monitor, I can't comment on that particular model. If you are having problems with viewing angle, I suggest that you go to a computer store and simply move up and down in front of several monitors to see how they compare to the one you have. Maybe yours is not as uniquely bad as you think! Of course, getting an IPS monitor is an option.

A monitor calibration device is very useful. I use a Spyder 4. I find that it givers very accurate colour balance on my system. I tweak gamma manually to suit my tastes in terms of brightness/contrast. One individual in this discussion dissed the Spyder device and recommended something else, but offered no reasons. I suggest you look into reviews yourself.

There are a couple of other pieces of advice in this discussion that I consider to be dubious.

One is to only use sRGB colour space. Adobe RGB is a larger space that is still very safe for general use, and is something of a standard. Most experts would recommend using Adobe RGB or even one of the larger colour spaces for serious work. I use Adobe RGB based on my personal testing. The reasons for using larger colour spaces are a bit complex, and often subject to debate when you get into spaces larger than Adobe RGB. Again, look into it yourself and do a bit of testing.

Another suggestion was to use "Print Fix", which is an automated adjustment function in some printer drivers. That can work in some cases, but in fact all you're doing is blowing up image corrections that you may have made yourself. It's not all that different from selecting automated image adjustment in Lightroom. No point in doing colour management if you go that route.

Hope you find this useful.

Last edited by John Poirier; 01-19-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: clarity
01-19-2013, 03:19 PM   #30
Pentaxian

If you have a higher end monitor and printer that can display and/or print the RGB color space that's great, I do and I use the color space. Judging from the OP question, I don't think that applies. They appear to be working on an average system with a low end monitor. Suggesting using the sRGB color space should help getting the prints to match a bit closer.
When this digi 1st. started it was easy to take a shot, load it and print it. Colors matched quite well. This all occurred using the sRGB color space, yeah many years back.
Same can apply today and does for most folks using the small digicams. Load them and print.
If the original poster wants to upgrade to higher end stuff, that's cool and they will have to do the studying you suggest.

Dubious using sRGB, probably not, most print labs want sRGB files.