Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2013, 03:47 AM - 1 Like   #1

Program which will show focus point?

I have a K-5 and I am wondering if there is a program which shows focus point, I know that there is at least PhotoMe but image in PhotoMe is very small, so you can't really tell precise where the focus point is.

01-24-2013, 04:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by itte Quote
I have a K-5 and I am wondering if there is a program which shows focus point, I know that there is at least PhotoMe but image in PhotoMe is very small, so you can't really tell precise where the focus point is.
Aperture can show an overlay of focus points with the used focus point in red.
01-24-2013, 05:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. It seems that PhotoMe can show the image bigger but I don't know how to use it. I can only see the little picture in left side, but there seems to be way how to see the picture bigger also, can anybody help?
05-27-2018, 03:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by itte Quote
It seems that PhotoMe can show the image bigger but I don't know how to use it.
I can only see the little picture in left side, but there seems to be way how to see the picture bigger also, can anybody help?
How do you know there would be a way?
There is no option and no setting for it.

This graphics could be used for an overlay when viewing pictures. The vector version is included in the PDF Pentax K-1 user manual on page 19.

Attached Images

Last edited by angerdan; 05-27-2018 at 03:22 PM.
05-27-2018, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

A zombie thread, but the issue is still un-resolved.

There is still no application that I am aware of that displays (as an image overlay or anything else) the active focus points in a Pentax-shot image. PhotoMe was the last program that let you see that, but it died long ago and doesn't seem to offer that capability for cameras newer than the K-5/ K-x.

The data on active focus points is certainly there in the EXIF in newer Pentaxes [somewhere], as Pentax cameras like the K-1 can display during image review in-camera what the active focus points were (alongside an image thumbnail).

But outside of the camera, official Pentax apps like Digital Camera Utility (DCU) make no attempt to display the active focus points in an image.

Which is very disappointing and somewhat surprising, since the Nikon supplied (and Silkypix authored) 'sister-app' to Pentax Digital Camera Utility (Capture NX-D) has the option to turn on the display of active focus points as a full-screen image overlay. And it is very handy.
05-27-2018, 03:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Interesting would be if also the measured horizontal and vertikal tilt levels could be displayed.
Like everything else what was visile in the moment of the shot taken.
05-27-2018, 10:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
The data on active focus points is certainly there in the EXIF in newer Pentaxes [somewhere], as Pentax cameras like the K-1 can display during image review in-camera what the active focus points were (alongside an image thumbnail).

Wow...I never heard about that feature...I don't have my camera with me to look for this feature but could you tell me how you do it Rawr?
Thanks for the tip!

05-28-2018, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DimC Quote
could you tell me how you do it
It's buried in the manual:

and it looks like this:

All you need to do is hit the play button, then the INFO button, then select 'Detailed Information Display'.
05-28-2018, 12:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

and it looks like this:

All you need to do is hit the play button, then the INFO button, then select 'Detailed Information Display'.

Thanks a lot mate! Appreciate.
05-28-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

There is still no application that I am aware of that displays (as an image overlay or anything else) the active focus points in a Pentax-shot image.
There is a freeware plugin to LR (google it) that should do it for the K-1. I couldnt care less, since it only runs on Macs and the reason is that Adobe's LR scripting is severly buggy there (exact same function doesnt work on windows and Adobe doesnt care a bit).

I also once wrote a PS script that creates an overlay layer to display the chosen AF point on opening an image. And that technically works (never had the urge to invest more time).

So: Whomever cares just needs to either invest his own time or pay a developer. Nothing is stopping anyone.
05-28-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Some similarities to this thread are recognizable
Someone made a Lightroom plugin that shows you where the camera's focus point was - PentaxForums.com

QuoteOriginally posted by beholder3 Quote
I also once wrote a PS script that creates an overlay layer to display the chosen AF point on opening an image. And that technically works (never had the urge to invest more time).
So: Whomever cares just needs to either invest his own time or pay a developer. Nothing is stopping anyone.
Does your script work for the K-1 too?
I'd suggest Andrea K. the feature of displaying the focus points in WiFi Commander.
Wifi Commander for Pentax is online (Windows app) - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by angerdan; 05-28-2018 at 01:49 PM.
05-29-2018, 02:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

and it looks like this:

I've checked a couple pics and there is something I cant explain.
Im using center spot focus and sometimes the RED DOT AF point is not RED but GREY instead.
Even if I dont recompose and that I've got AF confirmation in the viewfinder, the dot is GREY instead of RED when I review the image...
05-29-2018, 06:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Does your script work for the K-1 too?
Yes and no. I only wrote the data for the K-3 I. But it is trivial to add the data for any Pentax camera if sticking to single AF point select. All the plugins and my script pull data via exiftool and the AF point numbers are right there (Pentax simply counts from top to bottom and left to right).
The actual work is to get the script as such to work and the effort to locate exactly the position of the AF points relatively to the frame.

It is trivial but consumes effort, especially in testing.