Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-25-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

LR3 Lens Profiles for Older Lenses

I would like to create a Lightroom 3 lens profile for my older lenses. With some of them, there is no EXIF data. However, I noticed in other threads people have created profiles for some of the K-series lenses.
How did you guys get around the EXIF data issue??

Thanks in advance

01-25-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I would like to create a Lightroom 3 lens profile for my older lenses. With some of them, there is no EXIF data. However, I noticed in other threads people have created profiles for some of the K-series lenses.
How did you guys get around the EXIF data issue??

Thanks in advance
You can either add EXIF data with a program like EXIFtool, or you can simply choose the profile manually to be applied to an image. Even on lenses with EXIF data, it will often auto-choose the wrong lens anyway (Some Sigma and Tamron lenses, for instance.). If you don't have a pressing need to apply profiles to every single image but only ones you need to be fully post-processed, then it is easiest to just apply it manually.

Of course you've got to know what lens it was, and if you are switching between old lenses often it can be hard to keep track of, so then you've got to keep a log when shooting, especially if you want to go so far as to keep track of focal distances and f-stops...
01-25-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
You can either add EXIF data with a program like EXIFtool, or you can simply choose the profile manually to be applied to an image. Even on lenses with EXIF data, it will often auto-choose the wrong lens anyway (Some Sigma and Tamron lenses, for instance.). If you don't have a pressing need to apply profiles to every single image but only ones you need to be fully post-processed, then it is easiest to just apply it manually.

Of course you've got to know what lens it was, and if you are switching between old lenses often it can be hard to keep track of, so then you've got to keep a log when shooting, especially if you want to go so far as to keep track of focal distances and f-stops...
Thanks
Thank goodness my older lenses are primes so that makes it somewhat easier.
But I guess I am unclear, the Adobe Lens Profile tool does require EFIF data to do whatever it is it does, correct?
01-25-2013, 12:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
But I guess I am unclear, the Adobe Lens Profile tool does require EFIF data to do whatever it is it does, correct?
Oh, when *creating* a profile? I don't know -- maybe, or possibly it lets you enter it right in the program. I was planning on making some profiles of old lenses also, but haven't tried it yet. You can always use EXIFtool or similar in any case. It can be done.

I was talking about applying an existing profile in LR -- you can manually choose any profile of any lens you like and apply to any image.