Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2013, 11:38 PM - 4 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Monitor for Photo Processing

I recently went through the process of choosing a monitor specifically for photo post processing – this has taken me over a year of research to find something that was suitable, and inexpensive.
Hopefully sharing my experience may be helpful.

Many know that in LCD technology, the panel to aim for is IPS (in-plane switching) because it is capable of showing more colors/wider color gamut, and have wider viewing angles with consistent and accurate colors.

So wider gamut/more colors is desirable –
an examination of monitor specs show things like 82% or 72% gamut –
but without any indication of what gamut or color space.

Although it would seem more colors or wider gamut is better –
so is 82% better than 72%?
BUT 82% or 72% of what?

That's when I realized those figures do not matter -
what was really important to me was the ability to display 100% of the photographic working color space -
ie: 100% sRGB

Even a gazillion% gamut is absolutely useless, if it cannot display all the sRGB colors ie: 100% sRGB.

OK some may argue that a monitor would be superior if it can display AdobeRGB or NTSC color space(s) -
but only if it is 100% sRGB capable in the first place –
since the displayable end result for the web and most printers is standardized on sRGB.

Doing searches of 100% sRGB IPS – will find monitors, and some surprisingly were not very expensive.

That is when I realized that some of those monitors actually had an sRGB preset that set a factory calibrated 100% sRGB – this was better than expected –
since that virtually means separate monitor calibration was no longer as critical as it used to be.

This discovery was HUGE.

Were there differences in IPS panels? – well of course, only a few months ago there was general opinion that cheap IPS monitors were not really recommended.
3 Reasons Why You Shouldn’t Buy A Cheap IPS Monitor

So the LCD panel technology was important too – not just blanket approval of any generic IPS.

Fortunately we have currently many smartphones with stunning very high pixel density screens -
have some of this new technology made it way to computer monitor screens?

Those names were AMOLED (Samsung) and AH-IPS (LG).

As far as I know there are no AMOLED monitors -
BUT – there are AH-IPS monitors now.
and searching on AH-IPS finds that LG claims AH-IPS been certified by Intertek as having accurate colors (this is really important)

Searching for AH-IPS 100% sRGB does in fact find monitors and in fact some inexpensive ones.

Just to set the scene –
Dell UltraSharp U2713HM – this is a 27” screen, but at $650-700 street price - hardly cheap.

But there were also:

ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED 22" Frameless LED Display

ViewSonic VX2370S-LED 23" Frameless LED Display

These actually were some of the lowest priced IPS monitors available.
This was like a dream come true – monitors based on the latest AH-IPS with 100% sRGB factory calibrated preset.

I bought the 22" ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED since I have limited desk space, and prefer a higher pixel density.

The first thing I did so to set the monitor for 100% sRGB -
which was just a simple set on the OSD to sRGB - and that was it -

Then I went to the various on-line monitor calibration sites to check the monitor -
it passed any and all the tests I could throw at it with ease.

This is a handy reference page that collects together the most useful calibration sites -
5 Online Tools to Help Calibrate Your Monitor

That includes the sites that I had found the most useful:
Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool
and
Lagom LCD Monitor Test Pages

Some of this has been discussed in the thread:
new Monitor Advice Please ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page)
starting with Post #37

Hope this was of some help.

01-31-2013, 02:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I need to qualify my post thread from what I have learnt since.

First this really is more about the Budget end of monitors for photo processing -
there are many worthy monitors that are hundreds, if not thousands of $$ more.

I am not, and cannot really address that end of the price range.

The reason why I was so enthusiastic about the ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED 22" Frameless LED Display -
is mainly because it had 100% sRGB on a factory calibrated preset -
so that setting virtually makes initial calibration redundant.

Acknowledge: calibration especially if optimal accuracy is required, and monitors will drift with age - so making re-calibration necessary

From the very comprehensive and thorough reviews at reputable sites such as:
LCD and TFT Monitor Reviews
PRAD | Review
Reviews of HDTVs and monitors - FlatpanelsHD

The factory preset sRGB have been satisfactory.

That's where AH-IPS was important -
LG claims AH-IPS has been certified by Intertek as being color accurate.

This means the panel itself is intrinsically more color accurate - so it is easier to have 100% sRGB -
and unless there is evidence of faster deterioration of the panel itself -
it probably stands to reason that it would maintain its color accuracy better than other IPS panel types.

Hence the importance of AH-IPS and obviously 100% sRGB on a factory calibrated Preset.

I have heard feedback that 100% sRGB may only refer to the gamut -
however at least on this ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED the preset seems to disable any other adjustment even brightness and contrast -
so it appears that the preset sets sRGB color space -
again those reviews of other monitors - especially the ones that use AH-IPS seems to show the sRGB preset/emulation are very satisfactory.

Short of having a calibration tool
I can only do my checking by eye - as mentioned already:

A handy reference page that collects together the most useful calibration sites -
5 Online Tools to Help Calibrate Your Monitor

The pages and images I found most useful for checking my monitor:

Black and white levels - I like the Photo Friday: Monitor Calibration Tool

I can easily see the black levels A, B, and C, and white levels I can also see easily X,Y, and Z

In terms of Color - I looked at the tft.Vanity.dk Online Monitor Test - Color Range Multiple

and also the Lagom.nl Contrast test

I can see each color segment easily.

For continuous tone I used tft.Vanity.dk Online Monitor Test - Trailing Main test

the tones were continuous.

Like I said short of actually using a calibration tool - by eye the monitor seems well adjusted on the factory preset for sRGB.
(note: calibration tools are $150-$250 street price - my monitor was only $160!)

But I do take the point, that a sRGB preset may not be as accurate as it can be potentially, and once the monitor ages things may shift - but for now it is brand new and things "seem" OK - within reason.
I am not against calibration - just for now I do not have the capability, other than by eye.

I looked at the various monitor review sites - in particular the AH-IPS panel monitors since that is the technology this ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED is based on - those monitors (eg: Dell U2713H, Dell U2913WM) seem to do pretty well on their sRGB factory preset - seems almost to me to be within experimental errors - or at least someone inexperienced in monitor calibration - like me, for example

Having said all that, I am impressed with this budget ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED monitor -
as it were - straight out of the box with its sRGB preset capability.
01-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thank you for taking the time to post this, and the links to the online calibration tools is a godsend, maybe they aren't as accurate as calibration tools, but they will be better than the complete lack of calibration that I have now..
01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by edgedemon Quote
Thank you for taking the time to post this, and the links to the online calibration tools is a godsend, maybe they aren't as accurate as calibration tools, but they will be better than the complete lack of calibration that I have now..
Thanks so much for your kind comment.

In my old thread:
new Monitor Advice Please ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page) (posting about my new monitor - started with Post #37)
one can see how complex the whole subject of monitors and their calibration can be.
I posed back then that adjustment by eye was possible - but the majority rely on calibration tools,
and calibration by eye generally seemed not to be considered adequate
(even when well reputed on-line sites have said calibration by eye was entirely possible)

I bought a monitor where cost is probably lower than any respectable calibration tool -
BUT it has a sRGB preset/emulation that sets 100% sRGB color space -
so out of the box it is already "factory" calibrated.

Those on-line calibration pages have been helpful to adjust my olde crt monitor -
and now for checking and reassuring on my new monitor set on its sRGB preset.

Thanks,

01-31-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good luck with the viewsonic i've had two and both had a failed power supply, one was a 37 inch tv which they would gladly repair if i just ship it to them in California since they won't make the part available.It is 4-5 years old so i'd would be crazy to pay the shipping both ways + parts and labor.Why not just make the 80-90 dollar part available and have a happy customer?I learned my lesson!
02-01-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
Good luck with the viewsonic i've had two and both had a failed power supply, one was a 37 inch tv which they would gladly repair if i just ship it to them in California since they won't make the part available.It is 4-5 years old so i'd would be crazy to pay the shipping both ways + parts and labor.Why not just make the 80-90 dollar part available and have a happy customer?I learned my lesson!
Thanks.

The monitor has a separate AC/DC power adapter "power brick" as its PSU -
it looks nothing special, and seems pretty commonplace -
so it's probably as reliable as almost any other AC/DC power adapter
and ought to be easy to replace......

It seems to have a lot of credentials/certifications :

Last edited by UnknownVT; 02-01-2013 at 09:37 AM.
02-01-2013, 09:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I just realized from elsewhere I may have caused some inadvertent confusion by the imprecise use of terminology:

To clarify -
The ViewSonic VX2270Smh-LED is specified as 100% sRGB gamut -
but it also has a sRGB Preset which is supposed to be factory calibrated -
I sometimes may have confused the matter by referring to it as 100% sRGB Preset

No, the monitor is spec'd as 100% sRGB gamut,
and separate from that, it has a preset for sRGB color space/emulation.

I hope that is clearer.

and it is on the sRGB preset that makes the monitor seem well adjusted - "passing" all those on-line monitor calibration images.

My apologies if I caused any confusion.

02-02-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I'm just passing along my experience with viewsonic and i'm saying i have an $800 tv in my closet because i can't get an $80 part.If i had bought a name brand available at most local stores this probably wouldn't be an issue but service after the purchase is worth something isn't it?
02-02-2013, 10:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bschriver11 Quote
I'm just passing along my experience with viewsonic and i'm saying i have an $800 tv in my closet because i can't get an $80 part.If i had bought a name brand available at most local stores this probably wouldn't be an issue but service after the purchase is worth something isn't it?
No, I appreciated the input -
however as I pointed out my ViewSonic monitor has a separate external AC/DC power adapter "power brick" -
and it does look nothing special and pretty commonplace -
so even if something goes wrong with the PSU -
it ought to be easy to replace?

BTW - ViewSonic is a reputable brand for monitors -
just like any other brand it can have mixed reviews and bad cases -
however generally they seem pretty good.

I am sorry to hear of your two TV cases -
I too would steer clear of them, if I had such experience.

Thanks

Last edited by UnknownVT; 02-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
02-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

100% factory calibrated sRGB means nothing functionally. A properly calibrated and profiled monitor is dependent upon the lighting factors of your working environment. Online calibration tools are probably better than nothing, but they cannot compare to using a hardware puck and appropriate software. Of course, a color-managed workflow is not a requirement for most users, so using less-precise methods may be more appropriate from a budget-related point of view at least.

Working in the sRGB color space is fine for online display of images, or outsourcing printing to popular labs.

I'm happy that your monitor meets your needs. ViewSonic was perceived as a higher quality brand about 15 years ago, but they have mostly gone the consumer gamer path since. It's nice to see them marketing newer variants on IPS technology.

M
02-03-2013, 12:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
100% factory calibrated sRGB means nothing functionally. A properly calibrated and profiled monitor is dependent upon the lighting factors of your working environment. Online calibration tools are probably better than nothing, but they cannot compare to using a hardware puck and appropriate software.
Thank you for your input.

I realize that many don't think anything other than calibration with a tool is adequate, and I accept that - however I bought this monitor because it had an sRGB preset that sets sRGB color/work space.
But I do understand for ultimate accurate work calibration is a necessity and monitors will drift/change with age - so re-calibration is also necessary.

Referencing the respected monitor review sites -
and their reviews of AH-IPS based monitors (currently only a few as AH-IPS is relatively new)
and I know my budget monitor is not in the same league -
but take for example the Dell U2713HM (link to tftcentral.co.uk review) is apparently very well adjusted on its factory calibrated sRGB preset -

the factory calibrated sRGB preset is pretty accurate and matched the reviewer's own calibration well -
probably well within margin of experimental error -
or someone inexperienced in monitor calibration (like me)
and probably using less than the very best calibration tool, and software.

Although it may seem that factory calibrated sRGB preset may be fairly commonplace -
if we check the same sized but lesser Dell S2740L - one sees that does not offer a sRGB preset -
which does mean that one would have to calibrate to get somewhere close to the factory sRGB preset?

So to me functionally the sRGB preset was the important deciding factor -
the budget ViewSonic may not be as accurate as the Dell UltraSharp costing over 4 times as much
but from what I checked with the on-line calibration pages - it does not seem that far out.

Whereas the other presets can, and do vary quite a bit from the sRGB preset.

Working in the sRGB color space is fine for online display of images, or outsourcing printing to popular labs.
I chose sRGB since that is the color space I work in
I am aware of and understand the need for wide gamut monitor using AdobeRGB and ProPhotoRGB -
but I am not using either.

I heeded this advice from a reply to someone else over on another forum,
by a very knowledgeable, and well respected poster:

QuoteQuote:
However, while wide gamut monitors may offer the the best visual colour experience, they can be very troubling for users that don't understand the basics of colour management and use of a calibrator, and don't have software that is color managed. Using a standard sRGB gamut monitor avoids most of these issues.

One point with better quality wide gamut monitors is that most have a pretty good preset sRGB mode so if you're not ready for the colour management issues, you can simply use the monitor in sRGB mode until the time that you want to tackle this challenge.
Thanks

Last edited by UnknownVT; 02-03-2013 at 01:35 AM.
02-03-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm happy that your choice of product is working well for you.

Quoting lab results from testing sites and the manufacturer is impressive but illusionary. NEC is the only manufacturer that has an integral factory calibration system linked with the EyeOne calibration tools.
Again clicking on an OSD sRGB button does not necessarily give you an accurate sRGB color space environment. Without accurate color and illumination tools, you really don't have the capability to discern any deltas here. TFTcentral's lab is not your home environment and in my 20 years of working in color managed environments, that matters a lot.

The real test will come in six months when you have some experience to evaluate.

M
02-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quoting lab results from testing sites and the manufacturer is impressive but illusionary. NEC is the only manufacturer that has an integral factory calibration system linked with the EyeOne calibration tools.
Again clicking on an OSD sRGB button does not necessarily give you an accurate sRGB color space environment. Without accurate color and illumination tools, you really don't have the capability to discern any deltas here. TFTcentral's lab is not your home environment and in my 20 years of working in color managed environments, that matters a lot.

The real test will come in six months when you have some experience to evaluate.
Thank you for your advice and caution.

I only bought a budget priced monitor ($160 shipped probably less than a lot of calibration tools) - it has a sRGB preset mode which is supposed to be factory calibrated -
I do realize it's not going to be as accurate as full professional monitors that have been carefully calibrated -
otherwise everyone would be buying cheapo monitors - so I accept that it is only adequate compare to the high-end monitors -

However the reason why I was enthusiastic (dampened now) was precisely because this bottom of the line monitor has a sRGB preset mode - which at least seems to give good semblance to the sRGB color workspace -
I do acknowledge and take the point that for better accuracy one should calibrate with an adequate calibration tool and software - and that monitors will eventually drift so re-calibration would also be necessary.

I have not for a moment suggested anyone should do what I am doing -
even if I have over 43 years' of photographic experience -
but that is diddly in terms of my neophyte monitor and calibration knowledge -
so much for credentials - but I know I am relatively fussy about my photos since I do shoot a lot.

Perhaps looking at the over year old thread new Monitor Advice Please ( 1 2 3 ... Last Page), and also this thread (where a lot of well respected and very knowledgeable posters have responded) - might help put things into context.
Even if I may debate I have not ignored any advice given - and by doing more research from the pointers - makes me learn a lot more - that is why I am grateful to advice and suggestions.

However the gist of this thread really is only that a budget priced near the bottom of the line IPS monitor can be based on the latest advanced panel technology AH-IPS - that LG claims has been certified by InterTek as accurate in color - the monitor has 100% sRGB gamut, and there is a Preset sRGB Mode that is supposed to be factory calibrated -
so out of the box and set on the sRGB preset mode - one should have a reasonably well adjusted monitor -
whereas I know most monitors do not have that preset mode, and therefore can be quite a bit out from the correct sRGB setting.

So, yes in that way hopefully without being completely "blissfully ignorant" - I am quite happy with this budget monitor,
as I feel only a few months ago I probably would have had to pay quite a bit more for such out of the box adjustment - if it were available at all.

Thanks.
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I do wonder on some of these things. I have a wide gamut monitor at work and one that has an sRGB setting. THe one with the sRGB setting (supposedly pre-calibrated) right off the start does not have a white point set right. THe monitor is obviously a little yellow. I don't work in photography (just an office job), so I don't calibrate it, but I probably should try to use a web-based option to just get rid of the yellow tint.

At home I do use a calibrator, and I love it because I don't trust my eyes. My eyes often see problems that aren't really there or the opposite. I especially like that my calibrator lets me get the overall luminance right.

The home monitor has an sRGB setting, too, and what I do find is that by using that setting I don't have to adjust the R,G, and B settings independently during hardware calibration. It is already close enough that the hardware tool can then make the software adjustment needed to get a good profile. An older monitor required a hardware adjustment of the R,G,B settings that was tedious and problematic in getting the profile correct. If the R,G,B values were not close enough to what the puck was looking for, it couldn't adjust the profile correctly or it would see things "wrong". I've sense gotten rid of that monitor, and some of that issue could have been my own inexperience with calibration. Things definitely work better now. My prints come out almost exactly as I see them on screen, and that is huge.

I'm not sure Wide Gamut is the end all otherwise. I find it creates a lot of challenges outside of photography, and I tend to send out to labs so the advantage of other color spaces is lost on me once I get to the final result, although I can see the advantages while PP. In some ways I liken that to processing in 16-bits vs. 8-bits and limiting the losses to the final step (i.e. saving to a JPG). It's not perfect, but it makes me feel better about the wide gamut monitor I bought. I'm not sure why my office bought them as they provide no benefit from a productivity stand-point.
02-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A really interesting thread! I've been using an old Dell CRT and hardware calibration with reasonable success. I've felt that a decent flat screen IPS monitor would be financially beyond me; I may rethink this. Since my computer (the Monolith) can drive two monitors the old Dell could be used alongside a new IPS.

Always amusing to ask at Best Buy if they have any IPS monitors.... About like asking which stereo receivers have a preamp for magnetic cartridges, and being told that "nobody needs a preamp anymore." Hah!