JC

01-29-2013, 06:09 AM   #2

I do, have the license, thank you!!
01-29-2013, 06:53 AM   #3
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you! It is my main photo processing program and I wondered if they were ever going to release an update. I'm hoping they've fixed one bug or missing feature in the way watermarks are done in batch mode. Now I just need time to download and play with it - once I get my hard drives stabilized...
01-29-2013, 07:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes, I use it also. Just downloaded the new version, they have added a noise reduction filter.

01-29-2013, 08:00 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
I've been using it for years. Most useful image software ever. And the easiest way I've found to do 1:1 crops.
01-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #6

Have been using it for about a year.Do you delete the old version before installing the new one?
01-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks! I mostly use Lightroom, but I love Faststones 'Portable" Version, meaning you can use it without actually installing it. I keep this on a USB key in case I want to review raw files on a computer that isn't mine.

01-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the heads up. My version is several years old. I've not used it much for processing, but mainly for viewing files in various formats.
01-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jessecad Quote
New Version available. Version 4.7 posted 1-28-2013
Thank you for the heads up.

I can't say enough good things about FastStone -
despite having other editors - this is my go to for quick resizing and adjustments,
and now my main interface for any scanning.

Thanks
01-29-2013, 04:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Thanks for the heads up on the new version!

QuoteOriginally posted by Boker Quote
Have been using it for about a year.Do you delete the old version before installing the new one?
I didn't uninstal the old version - just downloaded the new version and installed - worked perfectly.
01-29-2013, 05:53 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
Thanks for the heads up on the new version!

I didn't uninstal the old version - just downloaded the new version and installed - worked perfectly.
Did it the same way,worked good.The noise reduction don't seem to do much.
01-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I like FastStone's interface. If I was to use it, it would mainly be for browsing, cropping & resizing. Other image processing I usually do in PSP X4.

However, I'm addicted to XnView because of its configurability. When I look at a screen of photo thumbnails, I want to see EXIF readily. Most of XnView can be reconfigured to suit yourself.

Look at FastStone's browse screen. There isn't much info, the tool-tip doesn't show EXIF.

Now look at XnView's:

There are 6 formats to display items in the browse screen. Here I've selected Thumbnails & Labels view. I set up a 5-line label as a demo a number of years ago and have ended up keeping it, even though it consumes a fair bit of screen space. As regards the tool-tip, it shows even more. If I want to alter the order or type of info being shown in the tooltip, it's not hard. Here's the line that configures it in xnview.ini, a text file:

TooltipText=<Filename With Ext>, <Size auto>, <Format> ||Taken: <Date Taken[d/m/Y H:M:S]> Modified: <Modified Date[d/m/Y H:M:S]> ||<Width>x<Height>, <BPP> bits||<Exposure Time>s F<F-Number> ISO<ISO Value> EV <Exposure Bias> FL <Focal Length>mm

There doesn't appear to be this level of customisation in FastStone. If it ever gets added, I'd be prepared to give it a much bigger trial.

BTW, in preparing this message, I was doing screen-grabs. While these two programs both have Screen Capture sections with lots of options (although FS doesn't have a multiple screen-capture option), I often prefer to grab a screen outside first and then bring it in via the clipboard. With XnView this is easy: Import Clipboard (Ctrl-Shift-V) creates a new image (default name: Clipboard-1/2/3...). PSP has a similar capability: Edit | Paste as New Image (again, Ctrl-Shift-V). FS does not have this. If you have something in the clipboard, you can use Ctrl-V, but this only pastes over an existing image, not as a new image.

Dan.