Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2013, 09:54 AM   #1

SD to SDHC Upgrade Avaialble

My 5+ year old laptop has a built in SD card reader. When I started using SDHC cards I was under the impression that the built in reader would not be able to read the higher capacity cards.

A couple of days ago, on a whim, I put an SDHC card into the laptop and much to my surprise it was able to recognize and download the JPEG and Raw mages on the card.

I did some Google searches and found that updates from Microsoft seems to have dealt with the problem. A 2007 update, KB936825, was to allow for the use of SDHC cards and a 2008 update, KB975823 allowed for use of cards greater than 32GB.

I checked the update list on the laptop and these have been downloaded through the regular update process so it appears my built in SD reader is now capable of reading SDHC cards also.

Wondering if anyone else has noticed the same.

Regards

02-17-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Once the SDHC standard was ratified, most card readers were made electrically compatible, so only software updates were needed to allow it to work. Mandy SDHC readers can work with SDXC as well.
02-18-2013, 06:29 AM   #3

Original Poster
I was under the impression that my built in card reader could only read SD cards and not SDHC (labelling on the computer only indicates SD - I have seen other laptops/desktops where the card slot has the SD and SDHC labelling). Regardless, it is a bonus to now have the convenience of using the built in reader.

Regards