Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #1

Best background for portrait

Would anyone have a recommendation for some good portrait background?

I have this picture but sadly I coudln't prepare a nice background before shooting so I would like to change it using photoshop :

Any income will be more than welcome !

02-25-2013, 10:55 PM   #2

Yes you could prepare it better. You have white wall on the left side.) Next time put your subject in front of white wall,use wider aperature and you'll get dreamy,angel-like look.You are asking question that has no unique answer. Background depend on the subject. But remember when you dont know what to do allways use white background because even if you dont like how it looks it's easyer to change in PP.)
02-26-2013, 01:16 AM   #3

Original Poster
As I mentioned I couldn't get a better background...
It was taken in a corridor so I could'nt step backward to get the white wall behind.

Anyway it's now done and I am looking for some postprocessing solutions (thus the post in postprocessing section ! )
02-26-2013, 01:22 AM - 1 Like   #4
Forum Member

I usually select the object, put it on the new layer (ctrl+J) and then apply motion blur filter to the background. The advantages: 1.the background retains the colours of the picture. 2.by rotating the angle hand of the filter you can allign the motion trails with light direction in the picture.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-27-2013, 06:24 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you kurki !

Good idea this the light orientation... I will try it out.
02-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You can always do it in PP with a background layer of you choice and place on top, your masked subject.
02-27-2013, 10:37 AM   #7

Original Poster
Yes but I had some difficulties to find some adequate background...

I tried one colour, one colour with gradient but nothing satisfying !
02-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lepiallou Quote
Yes but I had some difficulties to find some adequate background...

I tried one colour, one colour with gradient but nothing satisfying !
First, what a beautiful baby!
We use a curtain draped over something to keep it simple. You can go to the fabric store and buy any color you want. We use the back of a chair to hold it or you can also buy some foam board.
Simplicity is usually a good guideline.
Or you can use props but the trick is to keep EVERYTHING relative to the subject. Any thing that doesn't have something to do with the subject...take it out!
Still even these kind of shots, simplicity is the key. You want the viewers to notice your subject, not the background. Backgrounds should tie into the theme, not over power them

Hope this helps

Randy