Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2008, 07:11 PM   #1

Starting Over at 75...Which Printer is best, the Canon or Epsom?

I've found an outfit that will matt and frame my 13" X 19 " prints at a reasonable price and am now trying to settle on a printer that will best suit my needs for the 13" X 19" prints. I've looked at several and am trying to decide on either the Epsom or Canon printers. I mostly shoot people, but mother nature sometimes entrances me, too. I've got plans for a project at a cheese farm not far from here, that sort of thing. I will be doing both color and b&w prints, mostly color, but a lot of b&w prints as well....Any recommendations?

FLASH

02-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard to beat the Epson 2400. The pigment ink lasts forever and the printer does very well with B&W (most printers don't - at all). Not cheap. Around $850. Also has motorized roll paper for panos. The straight thru paper feed will take very thick paper. Friend showed some canvas prints that look like real canvas! The ink will cost less than cheaper printers. Cheaper printers give you the printer and make the money back on the ink. More expensive printers make you pay what the printer is worth but then the ink is less for a larger quanity. Epson also has the most paper choices. Good luck with your new project.
thanks
barondla
02-28-2008, 10:56 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The only down to the Epsons that I have seen is the ink usage. The inks don't seem to hang around as long when the printer is unused as with the Canons. OTOH the Canon printers don't seem to be as good with B&W.
02-28-2008, 11:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
The only down to the Epsons that I have seen is the ink usage. The inks don't seem to hang around as long when the printer is unused as with the Canons. OTOH the Canon printers don't seem to be as good with B&W.
Epson was to flush out their print heads/line more than HP or Canon, so if you leave the printer on it will automatically purge the printing system. If you shut it off for too long it will tend to clog and you have to use just as much ink to get it working well again. HP and Canon don't have this issue with their technology. Still Epson consistently gives excellent printing per monetary unit. If you print a lot Epson is fine, if not HP might be a better line to check out (but I can't point you to a model since I haven't followed them for years).

02-28-2008, 06:33 PM   #5
Inactive Account

I like the print quality of Epson. Even their lower end photo printers are really good. However, as mentioned, Canon may be more economical to operate. If you want to do B&W it is hard to beat the Epson 2400. If you do mostly color the Epson 1800 and the Canon 9900 Pro are both excellent.
02-28-2008, 06:34 PM   #6
Forum Member

If you are considering a Canon and don't need roll feed for panos then your two sub $1000 choices are the Pro 9000 (dye based ink) and the Pro 9500 (pigment).

Its hard to say what percentage of Epson printers are affected by clogged print heads but after experiencing the problem with 2 different models, I am extremely cautious about buying another Epson.

I ended up getting a 9500 which has very nice output right out of the box. There are a wide variety of non-Canon papers that work well with the 9500 and 9000. Most papers have their own ICC profiles that work with these printers.