Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My iPad Photo Workflow...

Hey All,

I have started to document my iPad workflow on my blog. I am walking through each of my steps from transferring images to my iPad all the way to sharing them on social networks. I even cover organizing my images using the built in photos app as well as organizing my images after they are transferred back to my mac and in my aperture library.

So if you are intersted, head over to Digital Chemicals...: My iPad Photo Workflow... Introduction.

Thanks!

03-02-2013, 10:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some interesting blogs. I'm still kicking around a tablet but to this point, haven't made the jump to buy one. I shoot almost all RAW and use Lightroom and I'm very satisfied with that combination. I won't erase any cards in the field so my main need is just for viewing and some simple adjustments. I will upload my cards to my desktop when I get home to do any serious editing. One of my uses for a tablet is that I shoot a lot of pictures at motorcycle rallies and like to have a way of viewing my shots and also sharing them with others on site. I was initially excited when the Ipad was first announced but quickly saw the limitations. I currently use an Acer Netbook on the road with Picasa which is RAW capable and can do some basic editing. The drawback is the crappy screen on netbooks in general. The new hi-res tablet screens are awesome but most tablets aren't photographer friendly. The Ipad and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 are the only ones that are trying to cater to the photo world but it seems we still have to jump through hoops and make a lot of compromises. I could easily shoot 300 or more shots a day. At this point I think that a smaller laptop is still a much better photographic tool and tablets function better as portable viewing devices of edited JPEGs.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far and I will continue to drop in to your blog.
03-02-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Some interesting blogs. I'm still kicking around a tablet but to this point, haven't made the jump to buy one. I shoot almost all RAW and use Lightroom and I'm very satisfied with that combination. I won't erase any cards in the field so my main need is just for viewing and some simple adjustments. I will upload my cards to my desktop when I get home to do any serious editing. One of my uses for a tablet is that I shoot a lot of pictures at motorcycle rallies and like to have a way of viewing my shots and also sharing them with others on site. I was initially excited when the Ipad was first announced but quickly saw the limitations. I currently use an Acer Netbook on the road with Picasa which is RAW capable and can do some basic editing. The drawback is the crappy screen on netbooks in general. The new hi-res tablet screens are awesome but most tablets aren't photographer friendly. The Ipad and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 are the only ones that are trying to cater to the photo world but it seems we still have to jump through hoops and make a lot of compromises. I could easily shoot 300 or more shots a day. At this point I think that a smaller laptop is still a much better photographic tool and tablets function better as portable viewing devices of edited JPEGs.

Thanks for sharing your experiences so far and I will continue to drop in to your blog.
Awesome .. thanks for reading.. Yeah i am not sure how a workflow with LR would workout on a tablet. There is Photosmith that is suppose to help with the transferring. I also have a netbook and for me the only place it really wins is the hard drive space. I can store a ton of images without thinking twice if I am running out of space. The problem I had with using my netbook was that the apps to edit were not optimized for that CPU. This is the benefit of apps for tablets. They are optimized for those system specs. RAW processing is a bit of a pain.. I totally agree there... I think eventually it will be part of all the apps to be able to process the RAW file instead of the jpeg thumbnail. There are a handful of apps that do this now, but still file & version management gets a bit hard. I think the approach to take for editing images on tablets should not be the same we do on desktops. They are just too different in every way.

You have to ask yourself if it makes sense to change my current workflow so that I can add a tablet into the mix. When I started i wasn't set on editing on my laptop.. I didn't think of it that way or had a workflow that I had been using. So for me it was easy to just use the iPad and create a workflow that works for me.

Anyhow, its all good... different strokes for different folks... It is the apps that make the iPad a great photographic tool to me. Without those, it would just be a consumption device instead of a creation device for me.

Thanks again for reading my blog.. its been in my mind for awhile to post my workflow. I had been getting questions on my workflow from G+ members.. So that really got me motivated to finally write something up.
03-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Pentaxian

What I want is a lightweight and very portable device to view and do some very basic and simple adjustments to RAW photos as well as JPEGs. The tablets coming out have some of the finest displays anywhere but at this point aren't the easiest tools for photographers to work with yet which is unfortunate. Any laptop will do the job. Most tablets could do the job but don't and the ones that do, force you to compromise. I know price has a lot to do with it. All the Android manufacturers won't dare go over the price of an Ipad and they aren't going to offer anything more either.

03-03-2013, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Looking forward to reading about your workflow, Edward. Here's mine:

iPad + Camera Connection Kit (or Chinese knockoff) + Snapseed = basic mobile RAW processing

I use my iPad as my mobile image backup (I try not to erase images from the cards until I return home, but sometimes run out of cards). At the end of each day, I use the Camera Connection Kit to transfer the photos from my cards (I shoot RAW, not RAW+), and then pick a couple to send to Snapseed for processing and posting on Facebook/Flickr, etc. I've tried backing up to the cloud via Dropbox, but hotel wifi is never fast enough on the upload side to handle the hundreds of images I take each day. Sometimes I'll try to upload just the best ones from the day and even then it's slow.

My one issue is that I've found it challenging to check for critical focus while on the road. For some reason (maybe the iPad's RAW processor), I zoom into images on the iPad and they look a touch soft but when I get home they are sharp. Not sure what's happening there.

In any case, the iPad is much much better than my netbook was for mobile processing. Faster. Easier. I do wish there were more (and cheaper) tablets that have 64Gb and even 128Gb, as I'm shooting video on the road too and need all the space I can get. BTW, I can even edit video clips on the iPad. Slower, but it works.

I enjoy playing with some of the filters/effects on Snapseed. I rarely process as drastically at home, but on the road I wing it a bit more. Here's a RAW from the Q processed in Snapseed:

03-03-2013, 11:55 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The new Ipad offers a 128 GB model. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 offers a micro SD card slot that can be used as storage. Decisions, decisions. From what I have heard from others on some of the other threads, RAW options are much better with Ipad than Android.
03-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
The new Ipad offers a 128 GB model. The Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 offers a micro SD card slot that can be used as storage. Decisions, decisions. From what I have heard from others on some of the other threads, RAW options are much better with Ipad than Android.
Yes... I have 3 apps that process raw right now... Filterstorm (DNG), PhotoRaw (PEF/DNG) and RAWConverter2 (DNG).

Filterstorm & RAWConverter2 can save to TIFF and Snapseed can open tiff files.. but it is at 8bit not 16bit.

They all seem to save some of the important EXIF data in the file. They save at 300dpi resolution.

Transferring RAWs is it a bit slower as the files are bigger. For jpegs on my k-5 i use the highest quality jpg the camera can produce.

I have the iPad3 with Retina and 64gb... just the other day i checked and had like 4gbs left.. so I started removing some old stuff off... didn't have to think twice if it was on my mac, since iCloud takes care of that. Before iCloud it was would be a pain to plug in and sync...

anyhow.... i think there are a couple of RAW options for Andriod. I'd say your best bet is the iPad only cause you don't have to deal with the variations in devices like the Android. A couple of my photo friends i have online have Androids. One of the devices came with a built in photo app similar to what the iPad has while the other was bare bones.. So he had to go out and find one. These variations can be confusing IMHO. Unless your stick to one brand like Samsung and continue with that.

Like I said in an earlier post, it is the apps that make the iPad a great device.

Thx