Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Lightroom?

I'll combine a couple of ideas not wanting to go into too much depth in a couple of them.

So for the past 6 years I have had this slave life with no hobbies. Anyway, my wife allows her oldest daughter to completely
take over the house. Now, they have a new "house" aka apartment, leaving me and my daughter the old, nice
house. So far I've had no hobbies other than trying to make life better for my family (added a bedroom for
the older one, working alone, with hand tools no truck. Took the better part of three years off and on).
It's weird because I am dating my wife now, but really only when the oldest daughter is out raising he*l.

Anyway, I've decided taking pictures of my two year old daughter will now be my full time and really first hobby.

So my sister has watched this drama from afar for quite some time. Previously she's been a bit stingy to a fault.
But she's really, really stepped up. I'll be getting a new canon 8220 printer (my old one died) and I already use
redriver paper. I was wondering if anybody has ever used Adobe Lightroom? I wanted to start editing my photos
or whatever, after I take this online class (bought by my wife with my money as a Christmas present) on digital
photography.

(BTW, I wanted to give credit to my sister not for the printer so much. My wife took all the money and all
the stuff. The printer is the tip of the iceberg if even that. She saved my house so I can stay in it with
my baby, and got her completely all new stuff.)

03-04-2013, 10:16 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh I see. LOL
Everybody already uses it.
03-04-2013, 10:17 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I was wondering if anybody has ever used Adobe Lightroom?
Yes.....
03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Aye, I think there's one or two folk out there using it.

03-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Lightroom is very popular, perhaps the most popular raw editor. But keep in mind that software like that will only be really useful if you shoot raw. If you buy a Pentax camera it comes with some version of Silkypix, which some people also love. I personally find Lightroom to be more simple to use overall. Other software that you can try is Aperture, FastStone, Raw Therapee, Bibble, Capture One, .. um.. and many others. There are all sorts of differences between them, so try one and if it doesn't work well with you, try another.
Also, I like to use photography as a hobby to get me out of the house and away from obligations. You know, to go out into nature, take some landscape and nature photos. Pentax cameras are pretty great for this kind of stuff, especially if you get a WR camera and lens, then you don't even have to worry about poor weather.
03-04-2013, 10:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have the Pentax *ist purchased used. I love it.
I never installed the disk that came with it due to other real life concerns.
I'll look at it this week.
03-04-2013, 11:06 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Lightroom is very popular, perhaps the most popular raw editor. But keep in mind that software like that will only be really useful if you shoot raw. If you buy a Pentax camera it comes with some version of Silkypix, which some people also love. I personally find Lightroom to be more simple to use overall. Other software that you can try is Aperture, FastStone, Raw Therapee, Bibble, Capture One, .. um.. and many others. There are all sorts of differences between them, so try one and if it doesn't work well with you, try another.
Also, I like to use photography as a hobby to get me out of the house and away from obligations. You know, to go out into nature, take some landscape and nature photos. Pentax cameras are pretty great for this kind of stuff, especially if you get a WR camera and lens, then you don't even have to worry about poor weather.
I agree. And, one other one to consider is Zoner Photo Studio. Zoner Photo Studio: Free Photo Editor Download A lot of folks tend to blow off software that isn't "what everyone else uses". In my opinion, "what everyone else uses" isn't necessarily what everyone else needs or wants. There are PLENTY of great, cost-effective software packages out there (some of them FREE) that are every bit (and sometimes better) than "what everyone else uses".

BTW, Bibble Pro was bought out by Corel and is now released as "Aftershot Pro".

03-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I never installed the disk that came with it due to other real life concerns.
If you have software from, what is that, 2004? I wouldn't bother, it will be very outdated. Some of the software I listed is free and will perform better.
03-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I'll look into all of it before I spend. My camera came (almost) new in the box.
I figured it was older though. It sure does work well enough though.