Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-29-2008, 03:17 PM   #1
Veteran Member

high end raw converters

i'm using Lightroom (fancy ACR) at the moment but willing to give other programs are try, can someone give me a list of all the high-end stuff thats out there (even if you havent used it)

02-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
i'm using Lightroom (fancy ACR) at the moment but willing to give other programs are try, can someone give me a list of all the high-end stuff thats out there (even if you havent used it)
Rawtherapee even it is free
Silkypix (they have close relations w/ Pentax - PPL is based on it)

DxO - but only for a few lenses
Bibble
CaptureOne
02-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Higher end? You mean $$$ or better than Lightroom? For money you really can get more expensive than full blown Photoshop. CaptureOne Pro 3.x is pricey as well. If you want good RAW conversion (other than Lightroom or ACR) many people sware by CaptureOne 4 (or 3.7 LE). Bibble Pro has it's share of followers. My personal favorite is RAW Developer, but it's Mac only (really high end ).
02-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tybeck Quote
Bibble Pro has it's share of followers.
Not here. I tried it for over a year...quirky interface (which I did not mind) and a fair amount of options, but it does not seem to like Pentax RAW files. Many, many strange artifacts in hair and water. No help at all from their programmers. I switched to Lightroom and have not looked back. I'm sure there are other great programs, but Lightroom does it for me.

03-01-2008, 08:17 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by kpfeifle Quote
but it does not seem to like Pentax RAW files. Many, many strange artifacts in hair and water. No help at all from their programmers. I switched to Lightroom and have not looked back.
Also if you have a camera that shoots DNG (does the K10D support them ?) like the new K20D and K200D you can't use Bibble since they don't support DNG's.

Someone gave me the advise to convert my PEF's to DNG (Lightroom can do this while importing the files) because they claimed the DNG's were a bit better (and smaller).

I'm not expert enough to make a statement on this though (I also never noticed that Bibble was having problems with PEF's but I stopped using it when I got Lightroom).

Oh, and I think when you set Lightroom to import and convert to DNG AND to backup the photo's it will also save the original PEF files in the Backup directory so you have both if you want.
03-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'd stick with lightroom.
No need to spend extra money
See: Digital Camera RAW Converter Comparisons with Canon 1Ds Mark II & 20D Images and Clemens and Nihongonauts » Blog Archive » The RAW converter showdown and many other tests.

- Bert