Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Darkroom is getting very nice.
I assume you mean darktable?

03-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #17

Slightly off-topic, does anyone know if ACDsee Pro accepts Photoshop plug-ins? Thanks.
03-16-2013, 08:06 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Have a look at Zoner Photo Studio. Zoner Photo Studio: Free Photo Editor Download It does have a free, uncrippled version.
03-18-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joebob Quote
Slightly off-topic, does anyone know if ACDsee Pro accepts Photoshop plug-ins? Thanks.
No it does not.

I've been using Acdsee for years, and have followed along to the current Pro 6. I really like it probably since I am so used to it, but think I have found my limitation with it - one being the use of plugins. I thought I would never do it, but I bought a copy of Lightroom 2 weeks ago - now the learning curve.........

03-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #20

GIMP's great but needs sometime to get used to. I've been using it for many years for digital painting and photo editing. Just don't give up to quickly and you'll appreciate it.

I haven't been using much RAW software. Just started with PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software that came with camera. What's your experience? Is there anything significantly more functional?
03-21-2013, 10:30 AM   #21
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Kocur Quote
Just started with PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software that came with camera. What's your experience? Is there anything significantly more functional?
I started with the PENTAX Photo Browser 3 that came with my *istDL, then bootlegged the PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software after reading about it on the forum. For me, either one is a fairly basic viewer, whatever editing tools are clunky and limited.

The only real useful feature I have found is extracting the jpeg from a photo. So I just use them to scan through shots prior to pulling images for more serious work in Photoshop.

After finding out here that GIMP is available for Winblows and was kindly directed to a place to snag the Winblows installer, I plan to give it a go, once I clear up some space on one of my machines, and can budget some time to get to know it.
03-21-2013, 11:31 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Just started with PENTAX Digital Camera Utility 4 software that came with camera. What's your experience? Is there anything significantly more functional?
Almost anything, really.

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
The only real useful feature I have found is extracting the jpeg from a photo. So I just use them to scan through shots prior to pulling images for more serious work in Photoshop.
I use it to generate the exif database, and move files after I have processed the PEF because it "sees" the three files. Too slow to browse (and hangs). I use FastStone for weeding out the duds before I do anything else.

03-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I use it to generate the exif database, and move files after I have processed the PEF because it "sees" the three files. Too slow to browse (and hangs). I use FastStone for weeding out the duds before I do anything else.
I thought the exif information was embedded in the camera? Looks like I need to spend more time exploring the software.

I have not had any performance issues with the Photo Browser or the Digital Camera Utility though.

FastStone, eh? One I will need to look into. Thanks for the comments!
03-21-2013, 05:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I thought the exif information was embedded in the camera? Looks like I need to spend more time exploring the software.

I have not had any performance issues with the Photo Browser or the Digital Camera Utility though.

FastStone, eh? One I will need to look into. Thanks for the comments!
Exif is stored with the image, but you can download that info into a database.

I stopped using the software for conversion when it was v3.51 because it lacked a few features - nevermind the poor interface. However, the newer version is very slow (many seconds) to preview a file, versus almost instantly in FastStone (which can open up to 4 at a time and sync them for easy comparisons). Pentax frequently hangs when hundreds of images are in a folder.
03-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #25
Inactive Account

Be a little less stingy and get Corel Paint Shop Pro or Aftershot. Either can be had for less than their Adobe counterparts, Photoshop and Lightroom respectively.
03-25-2013, 04:31 AM   #26

I belive that this thread topic is Best free photo editing software

So I'm thinking of Raw Therapee. I've heard good rumors about Darktable, but unfortunatelly I'm a Windows user and not eager to install a second OS just for RAW's.

Anyone using Raw Therapee?
03-25-2013, 06:59 AM   #27

Faststone for most work. Although not free, PSPro (i have X4) Amazon every so often drop the price to really silly low money; about $40. Well worth grabbing a copy for those extra features, e.g. HDR, layers, perspective correction.
03-28-2013, 10:47 PM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
FD Imaging - Black Silk 0.2.0 Release
http://fd-imaging.com/apps-2/blacksilk-bw-toolkit/
Mac/Windows/ and linux versions here....standalone or P/S plugin....
http://fd-imaging.com/apps-2/blacksilk-bw-toolkit/download/

But wait, ! there's more....FD Imaging - YUV Temperature
https://sites.google.com/site/elsamuko/gimp
03-29-2013, 12:05 AM   #29

As I remember Adobe Photoshop CS2 now is free. It is quite old and already unsupported software but still can do all the things.
Adobe - CS2 Downloads
03-29-2013, 12:39 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I belive that this thread topic is Best free photo editing software

So I'm thinking of Raw Therapee. I've heard good rumors about Darktable, but unfortunatelly I'm a Windows user and not eager to install a second OS just for RAW's.

Anyone using Raw Therapee?
Yup, RT is great. You can get the latest Windows release here, if you didn't find it already...

Here are more of my recommendations for free editors, if you're the curious type...

I also prefer Irfanview over fast stone and use it and the plugins quite a bit for various tasks.. Picasa is pretty good too though I havent used it in a long time.