Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
I believe Lightroom only creates its own catalog. It does not change the image file
This is true. Lightroom makes a "virtual copy" of the image in which the changes you have made are stored only in Lightroom's catalog and does not alter the original RAW file. That is one of the things that I like so much about LR. Of course, you can still export and print from these virtual copies as if they were an actual image copy and they will retain all the changes that you have made to them.

03-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by CB Knipp Quote
This is true. Lightroom makes a "virtual copy" of the image in which the changes you have made are stored only in Lightroom's catalog and does not alter the original RAW file. That is one of the things that I like so much about LR. Of course, you can still export and print from these virtual copies as if they were an actual image copy and they will retain all the changes that you have made to them.
Picasa also stores the original copies... JPGs or DNGs
but the functions to treats the raw file are not sophisticated enough. and the results too soft
BUT it is user friendly... that's a good starting point though...
You get fast results... that's why I still use it ....
03-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akira181 Quote
What do you use?
I've used Thumbs Plus for 12+ years. Too late to change now
03-17-2013, 07:39 PM   #19

Original Poster
currently thinking of either Digikam or Zoner Photo Studio to manage the files since they're free and edit the metadata then buying Lightroom 4 to edit pictures.

Although Elements 11 might meet all my needs so I'm still not sure.

03-18-2013, 06:06 AM   #20
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by akira181 Quote
manage the files since they're free and edit the metadata then buying Lightroom 4 to edit pictures.
If your going to buy LR anyway, why not let it manage the files, metadata etc., rather introduce extra steps to your work flow with other software packages.

LR has some very powerful features when it comes to cataloguing and file management, it can automate many functions for example the addition of copyright data, right at the time of import.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 03-18-2013 at 06:11 AM.
03-18-2013, 10:56 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
If your going to buy LR anyway, why not let it manage the files, metadata etc., rather introduce extra steps to your work flow with other software packages.
Find it hard to fault that logic Lets hope LR4 is more capable than Elements. Downloaded a trial version of elements yesterday and I am not really impressed with the organizer thus far. Maybe I'm missing something, will need to play around more.

I need the program to seach all my drives, find the photo's and ideally move them to a centralized location (ideally my new file server). With elements, I cannot specify what type of media I am looking for, so it takes everything. Videos, movies, music, pictures, and pdfs, so it lakes literally hours for importing. And if it's a strange video format or codec (like from old compact cameras, phones, etc) the program hangs while importing, occassionally crashing and requiring you to start again.

Once imported, I can filter the media types easily, but oddly not sort the pictures by date taken easily.

Might play with it a little more because it does almost everything I want. That or give LR4 a try.
03-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #22

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think IMatch4 by Photools.com does a very good job. Even takes care of images copied to backup disks.