Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ACR Camera Profile, where do they come from?

Adobe Camera Raw (mine is version 4.3) has two profiles, ACR 3.7 and Pentax 1.00. The latter appears to give more saturation.

Where do these profiles stem from? Is the Pentax 1.00 profile fine tuned to Pentax, and ACR 3.7 just a general profile? Can anybody shed some light on this?

What do you use?

03-01-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

may be this is the answer from the man himself (from Adobe forums - ACR section) :

QuoteQuote:
Thomas Knoll - 5:49am Apr 20, 07 PST
Basil:

I answered our question. Rejecting the answer without even trying it is not going to solve your problem.

The problem is Pentax shipped the K10D with firmware that embedded a buggy embedded profile in the DNG. This embedded profile had the mapping between temperature/tint values and image colors way way off. (Pentax did the math wrong when they created the profile).

When I added official support the K10D in Camera Raw 3.7, I created a much better profile that has correct mapping between temperature/tint values. I made this the new default profile. I made the old (buggy) Pentax profile also available in the camera profile popup.

Unfortunately, when reading DNG files with existing settings created before 3.7, I did not correctly map settings to use the old profile, and it is using the new profile by mistake. This is the cause difference in colors you are complaining about.

To fix this, just pick in old profile from the Camera Profile popup. You can do this on muliple files at once using the filmstrip mode of Camera Raw (open all the files into Camera Raw, select all the files, and change the popup, and press done).

We try to avoid this kind of stuff happening. Sometimes we make a mistake (called bugs). This is one of those cases. In this case the bug was specific to Pentax K10D DNG files with settings adjusted before the camera was officially supported by 3.7.

The workaround (picking the old profile from the Camera Profile popup) is quite easy and fast. I suggest you just try it rather than just ignoring my answer.
03-02-2008, 12:16 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks! I guess the answer then is to stick to the ACR 3.7 profile and leave the Pentax 1.00 profile alone.
03-02-2008, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Thanks! I guess the answer then is to stick to the ACR 3.7 profile and leave the Pentax 1.00 profile alone.
and it was recently reported that "oops, I did it again" (c) Brit... , sorry - Pentax

QuoteOriginally posted by topic : ACR update for Pentax K20d:

Thomas Knoll
- 10:56am Mar 2, 08 PST
Pentax is made a math error when they computed the camera profile they embed in DNGs. The colors look OK, but the temperature/tint numbers are way off.
so brace yourself for "Pentax 2.0" profile

PS: now if the same people (in Pentax) are writing the code for their AF

03-02-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Ole I am not sure this is right. I think that the Pentax 1.0 profile is the official Pentax Profile for ACR 4.3.1. I have been using it as I want the files to respond to how Pentax has set up the algorithms.

Thomas Knoll himself an Adobe programmer admits making mistakes in correctly mapping settings in ACR 3.7 for the K10D in what is posted in the statement supplied by deejjjaaaa. Even though Knoll admits creating bugs he is blaming Pentax. Some how that does not sound right.
03-02-2008, 10:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rico Quote
Ole I am not sure this is right. I think that the Pentax 1.0 profile is the official Pentax Profile for ACR 4.3.1. I have been using it as I want the files to respond to how Pentax has set up the algorithms.

Thomas Knoll himself an Adobe programmer admits making mistakes in correctly mapping settings in ACR 3.7 for the K10D in what is posted in the statement supplied by deejjjaaaa. Even though Knoll admits creating bugs he is blaming Pentax. Some how that does not sound right.
When in Rome, do as the Romans do (c) apparently them, Romans

03-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Adobe Camera Raw (mine is version 4.3) has two profiles, ACR 3.7 and Pentax 1.00. The latter appears to give more saturation.

Where do these profiles stem from? Is the Pentax 1.00 profile fine tuned to Pentax, and ACR 3.7 just a general profile? Can anybody shed some light on this?

What do you use?
now we have new profile ACR 4.4 for K10D

John Nack on Adobe: Lightroom 1.4, Camera Raw 4.4 now available

QuoteQuote:
Previous camera profiles identified in the Calibrate panel of the Develop module may have displayed poor results at extreme ends of the temperature and tint ranges. A new camera profile identified as Camera Raw 4.4 is now available and will be applied by default to all images without existing Camera Raw or Lightroom settings. The creation of new default profiles will also include the updated Camera Raw 4.4 profile. Images edited in Camera Raw or Lightroom with earlier profiles will retain the earlier profile value and visual appearance.