Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Corel Paintshop Pro X5

Anyone using the Corel Paintshop Pro X5? How does it compare to Photoshop Elements? I want something a little better than the free internet programs I have been using, but can't afford the full blown Photoshop.

03-25-2013, 07:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't compare it to elements as I don't have elements. I have used PSP for about 8 years now through various versions. X5 seems about the best so far, in terms of interface, speed etc.

Buttesg gripe, but I am not sure anyone can answer properly is that there are a lot of functions that a 8 bit on,y. Therefore you must do your color adjustments etc first, before any other PP to make themmost of it. Big advantage is it can use adobe plug ins. I use one for CA adjustment because PSP is really only fringe removal, not geometric rescaling. Otherwise it is quite good
03-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
Inactive Account

For the usual things try Gimp, like photoshop.
For RAW files Photivo is excellent although requires some learning .
They have Windoze and linux versions, both FREE !!!
03-25-2013, 07:47 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I do not have X5, but X4. As X5 didn't offer anything subtantial better over X4 I didn't upgrade when it cam eout.. But I do like X4, I needed to get used to it after using PSE. But now I know how to work with it, it isn't that much different from PSE. But both have their cons and pro's. The biggest con of PSE I found that after opening a RAW file, you couldn't use layers, had to convert it to a 8bit tiff file. X4 does that (don't know if PSE 11 can do it now, only used up to 9, then switched over the PSP). The biggest con of PSP is the raw converter. basicly, it kinda sucks. But for me it not a problem, casue I sue also lightroom, and will go from there to PSP if needed. They do have an adjust tab, where you can do all the adjustments needed to develop a raw file. But when going to edit with layers and all, it first needs to be converted into a PSP file. Which is anoying, as you need to delete it later. Would be better if you could just go from adjust to edit in one go without the need to save first.
PSP has a rather nice HDR feature, I have heard it is even nicer on X5 as you can also do single photo HDR with it.
So I personally like it better than PSE, apart from the raw developer, but for that you can use the adjust tab.

03-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks all. All I want to do is develop my raw files and save as jpg, I assume it will do that. Would also like a noise reduction filter. I see they also make something similiar to Lightroom called Aftershot Pro. Maybe it would be better for raw files, but don't know if it will save to jpg.

I've tried GIMP and didn't like it. It needed a separate program to open raw files.
03-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #6
Pentaxian

If the only thing you do is develop and save, then go for Lightroom 4. It is'nt that much more expensive. And it is very nice to do the processing of raw files . Also the noise reduction in LR is pretty good (I also have Topaz deNoise for more severe noise reduction)
03-25-2013, 09:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm not a photo editing guru by any stretch of the imagination, I find PSP works well for me, I've gone through numerous versions over the past years. I'm using it as the editor with lightroom, works for me.

03-25-2013, 02:27 PM   #8

You can download trial versions of PSP and Elements. I've been evaluating both for several days.
03-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I downloaded both PSP and Aftershot Pro. trial versions. I checked off PSP already after trying it for about an hour. Bad workflow for me. Trying Aftershot Pro now, and liking it so far.
03-25-2013, 03:49 PM   #10
Inactive Account

If your need is primarily RAW processing, get Aftershot Pro. It used to be called Bibble Pro which was a highly regarded RAW converter in it's day.