Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A little cure for pixel-peeping (helped me a lot)

Hey guys!
Well, it's been a week since i've started using this little trick to cure my pixel-peeping, and it's something really simple :
I just set the default sharpening amount on my camera raw to 70, meaning that everytime i open an image, it's already sharpened.
It really worked for me...every lens seems much sharper, even though i already sharpened it everytime. I guess it just tricks my mind, but anyway...
PS : Even if it sounds silly (it did to me), just try it, and then tell me what you think.

Last edited by GabrielFFontes; 03-29-2013 at 01:25 PM.
03-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

best things are already invented, it even has a name. input sharpening.
it's sharpening done to remove the blur of the AA filter and of the lens.

DXO makes profiles for the camera and lens combination if you want a program.
03-29-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The cure to pixel peeping:

Own only sharp lenses.
03-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Own only sharp lenses
Very true, but just change the idiot behind the camera who can't focus.

03-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The cure to pixel peeping:

Own only sharp lenses.
and be a skilled and talented photographer.
03-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As Anvh said, its got a name--couple really--but I prefer to start with LR's default of 25. The problem with jacking up capture sharpening across the board is that it prevents you from perceiving what elements of the image actually need more or less sharpening, and then applying different qualities of sharpening. Might as well throw in clarity too.

But, if sharpness is the only criterion you gauge for image quality, then I'm glad this trick works for you. For me, sharpness is just a healthy slice of a bigger pie.

M
03-29-2013, 01:59 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
and be a skilled and talented photographer.
We are all skilled and talented! After all, the camera and lens are the weakness, not the photographer!

03-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

We are all skilled and talented! After all, the camera and lens are the weakness, not the photographer!
So instead of the self-loathing, I should be blaming my equipment, you've just saved me years of counseling.
03-29-2013, 02:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
So instead of the self-loathing, I should be blaming my equipment, you've just saved me years of counseling.
Remember, if there's still problems, you need a D800.
03-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Remember, if there's still problems, you need a D800.
What's really funny. My friend had a D7000, and his shots were often miss-focused and generally not very good. I calibrated one of his lenses for him, but he went out and bought a D600 and everything is much better; and I always told him you couldn't buy skill. He's a lot happier now. The focus and the metering system in that camera is very good.
03-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
As Anvh said, its got a name--couple really--but I prefer to start with LR's default of 25. The problem with jacking up capture sharpening across the board is that it prevents you from perceiving what elements of the image actually need more or less sharpening, and then applying different qualities of sharpening. Might as well throw in clarity too.

But, if sharpness is the only criterion you gauge for image quality, then I'm glad this trick works for you. For me, sharpness is just a healthy slice of a bigger pie.

M
Selective sharpening is often a form of creative sharpening though. You sharpen th eyes and mouth a tad more with portraits for example.
For input sharpening i use 0,5 pixels with lightroom and set it about 60 to 70. Since the setting of pixels is so low it only " up" definition to the parts that are already sharp

To make the list complete there is also output sharpening.
with print that is needed because of the greater viewing distance and for online you need to sharpen slightly after resizing to bring back the "edge" it has on full size.
03-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

As far as I know you cannot sharpen in-camera when shooting RAW so I have no idea what you guys are talking about frankly. I usually set up LR to do basic sharpening on input and then tweak it as needed.
03-29-2013, 03:20 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bossa Quote
As far as I know you cannot sharpen in-camera when shooting RAW so I have no idea what you guys are talking about frankly. I usually set up LR to do basic sharpening on input and then tweak it as needed.
If we go that way, you can not even open RAW on the camera to begin with
03-29-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Might actually be a nice feature if LR had the kind of profiles as DXO.
I know you can set up preset to lens and camera but having standard proflies from Adobe in this case would be great.
Maybe something for LR 5?
03-29-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote

M
Sharpness certainly isn't the most important factor, but contrast, colors, overall punch, bokeh, vignetting, distortion, etc. aren't really pixel-peeping, because you can analyze them without zooming in so far...so this thing helped me a bit with my pixel-peeping.