Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 03:08 PM   #1

Printer advice

What photo printers should I look at in the under $500 range?

04-03-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I find the cheapest epson with clara inks does fine. I cannot tell the difference to largest/costliest epson which my college used for several mural sized prints of my work. But that's because my experience was excellent--not because I tried anything else. Whether I am just lucky or not cannot say--but I have not done most of the extra steps often said to be needed (custom profiles, adjust monitor, etc.).

Anyway: I like epson because I can cut/print any size paper (up to 8.5" wide) and define the size and print. (e.g., 7.5"x19"). I am told by a friend his Cannon does not have this feature. Don't know if they do now--it is a big deal for me. (I buy 13x19 paper and cut to size I want.

For wider than 8.5", and inks w/ longer life span (if you are selling and the buyer wants longest life possible), and if you want to specifically find the best for matte, or glossy, etc. there are more considerations.

Anyway I print from photoshop to a $70 (reconditioned epson) and have done 100's (mostly about 8.5x10 to 12") over the past 3-4 years, and my theatre department is very pleased. I mostly use epson matte, some epson glossy, and very rarely clear film.
04-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Canon often gives away [or close to it] 13" wide printers with camera purchases. Many Canonistas sell their unused printers cheap. They are very good printers.
04-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It might help if you shared some of your needs. How much B&W vs. color output? What size? What end use? Otherwise people will tell you what works for them--which may not sync with what you need.

M

04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have had very good experiences from Canon printers. I'm currently using a Pixma Pro9000 that is wide carriage and prints up to 13x19. It cost me around $250. I bought if factory refurbished. I think it's been replaced by a newer model.