Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2013, 11:31 PM   #1

Looking for good photo scanning software

Thanks for reading. I'm starting off an an epic family photo scanning program that no matter what is going to end up taking a lot of time to get done. So I'm looking for any way to make this go as efficiently as possible.

So say you're scanning six photos at once...would anyone know of a program that will auto crop and straighten, then save multiple photos into separate jpeg files when they're scanned together. Seems like someone would have made something like that by now.

Also, I'm planning on using a Lexmark Interpret S405 printer/scanner. If anyone feels like I should be using a higher quality scanner for an archival project like this please let me know.

Thanks

04-05-2013, 05:26 AM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am still involved in doing that myself, off and on, for some time now. I use an Epson Perfection 4490 flat bed scanner that can do all you need: negatives, slides, 35mm and medium format, and its software is fine for me since I then do PP on all images as required, in PS.
I know that this software is really good stuff and is well known in this field but I haven't jumped yet: Manuals & Tutorials for SilverFast 8. I'm not sure if it is compatible with your Lexar?
As for tutorials I have found Lynda.com to be very good with Taz Tally's presentation, mentioned in the document above.
One item I'm picky about is scanning resolution - don't be shy to go as high as you can (depends on file size, of course) and use TIFF format, even if you downsize the chosen images later as JPEGs but keeping TIFFs is better as those images will more than likely be stored as reference documents with best quality.
Hope this helps.
04-05-2013, 05:35 AM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bradleyheathhays Quote
Thanks for reading. I'm starting off an an epic family photo scanning program that no matter what is going to end up taking a lot of time to get done. So I'm looking for any way to make this go as efficiently as possible.

So say you're scanning six photos at once...would anyone know of a program that will auto crop and straighten, then save multiple photos into separate jpeg files when they're scanned together. Seems like someone would have made something like that by now.

Also, I'm planning on using a Lexmark Interpret S405 printer/scanner. If anyone feels like I should be using a higher quality scanner for an archival project like this please let me know.

Thanks
I forgot one thing: I haven't seen any case where you can automate actions you mention, usefully. 98% of your images will more than likely be different from each other. All I can think of is WB problems which will be horrendous at times (see others posts on that elsewhere on this forum)!) and you can solve that by opening images in ACR and synchronizing or, if you are into that, use Automator and Ben Long's set of Actions, but that may be going too far?
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bradleyheathhays Quote

Thanks
Welcome to the forum.
VueScan is a well-known product that should do as you stated. You can also directly batch scan as a pdf. VueScan works with at least hundreds of scanners, so check the site to see if yours if covered. The automation will work if all the prints are the same size.

If you are just scanning for archival purposes (not accurate reproduction which you can do later on favored images), then your scanner is just fine. The only other way to make it go faster is to outsource the whole job to a service which lots of people do. A vendor like ScanCafe will send your stuff off to India for a few weeks and you will get fairly high quality scans in return. The risk is self-evident though.

M