Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hard drive not backed up..

my hard drive crashed which like a dope i didn't have it backed up, so i lost all my photos.. my question is can i get copy's of the photos i have posted without removing them from the users photo gallery?? or can i download them and then re-post them back in the gallery? thanx!

04-11-2013, 07:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is recovery software that can find your files as long as you don't over write them with something else first.
04-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
There is recovery software that can find your files as long as you don't over write them with something else first.
.... If the hard drive is operable. I suspect, from his use of the term "crashed", that probably isn't the case here.
I'm sure Adam will be along directly to answer your question.
04-11-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Just make sure you don't throw the hard drive away. Depending on how precious your photos are to you, you may wish to contact a professional data recovery company. It could be a little expensive (hundreds of dollars) but worth every penny if the photos are irreplaceable.

Re-downloading your photos from here will result in low-resolution versions of your originals.

04-11-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep, happened with my wife's computer. We were able to recover almost everything, but it did cost hundreds, even in NYC! I have good back-up now.
04-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #6
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
I have good back-up now.
When it comes to backing things up, I am a firm believer in redundant redundancy. No files should exist on fewer than three drives, one of the three geographically separated from the working and primary backup drives.
04-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kozlok Quote
the only problem there is i can't even log on even with all the options from the start menu', won't read the install disc or a flash drive with the recovery console on it. thanx

04-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
When it comes to backing things up, I am a firm believer in redundant redundancy. No files should exist on fewer than three drives, one of the three geographically separated from the working and primary backup drives.
you are a 1000% rite. it's another lesson learned the hard way, which seems to be the way i learn all my lessons.thanx for the words of wisdom..
04-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by thoughton Quote
Just make sure you don't throw the hard drive away. Depending on how precious your photos are to you, you may wish to contact a professional data recovery company. It could be a little expensive (hundreds of dollars) but worth every penny if the photos are irreplaceable.

Re-downloading your photos from here will result in low-resolution versions of your originals.
thanx mr. thoughton. that figures the resolution would be poor. if it wasn't for bad luck i would have no luck at all..
04-11-2013, 02:11 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jacquot Quote
Yep, happened with my wife's computer. We were able to recover almost everything, but it did cost hundreds, even in NYC! I have good back-up now.
yep mr. jac. you can bet your britches it won't happen to me again.
04-11-2013, 02:28 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
No files should exist on fewer than three drives, one of the three geographically separated from the working and primary backup drives
These are good words of wisdom, heed them well, fellow forum members.
04-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Get your self a USB housing for your drive.
Install it in the housing, then connect it to another machine or laptop.
See if you can find the directories that contain the image files that way.and copy them off.
04-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is great advise but too late, I do the same however
QuoteOriginally posted by elmo wartz Quote
the only problem there is i can't even log on even with all the options from the start menu', won't read the install disc or a flash drive with the recovery console on it. thanx
Get a new drive or computer and a USB case for the crashed drive, chances are you have damaged the boot sector and perhaps the operating system files but. Not the data section. Depends on how the disk was set up of course, but OS and program files a usually the most vulnerable.
04-11-2013, 03:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elmo wartz Quote
you are a 1000% rite. it's another lesson learned the hard way, which seems to be the way i learn all my lessons.thanx for the words of wisdom..
Although it's probably your hard drive, it could also be a couple other things like the cable or the controller. If you can. try putting it in another computer and see if it can read it. By any chance is it a WD hard drive? Just curious because I had three of them fail within a few months of each other. There are data recovery services, but they aren't cheap - anywhere from a couple hundred dollars and up. They wanted $450 to salvage one of mine.
04-11-2013, 05:10 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would take it to a tech. While you maybe able to write from the drive using another computer, you can also damage files from spinning it if there is mechanical damage. Most of the time data is recoverable.