Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Re-sizing issue

I have some images that need to be re-sized from 4288 x 2848 down to 2048 x 1365.

I can only go to 2048 x 1360. And it must be 2048 x 1365 for the viewer to render it correctly.

Short of cropping the original to a ratio that will re-size correctly is there anything else that can be done?

Resources are;

Lightroom 3
CS4

Last edited by P12; 04-11-2013 at 07:52 PM. Reason: incomplete
04-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by P12 Quote
Short of cropping the original to a ratio that will re-size correctly is there anything else that can be done?
Only if you want to alter the aspect ratio, which I wouldn't recommend (though the 5-pixel difference is probably not going to cause a discernible difference).

To do this in photoshop, go to edit -> resize and uncheck the option to constrain the aspect ratio.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-11-2013, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I can only think of 3 options:

1. Crop the width to make the correct ratio.

2. Stretch the height slightly to make it fit

3. Add some form of blank to the short edge (ie: a small black line at the top/bottom/both)

I think option 1 is the best, it's only a few pixels being cropped out, I doubt they'll be noticed.
04-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Not that I know of. Without cropping, resizing to a different proportion would take either distorting the image [think TV image resizing] or the ability to adjust pixel density on each axis independently.

04-12-2013, 01:38 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
To do this in photoshop, go to edit -> resize and uncheck the option to constrain the aspect ratio
This is the way I'd do it, for such a small difference, I think you wont see it.
04-12-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
P12

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I received word that they will be using the images as is. It appears the 5 pixel stretch will not be noticeable. I guess Pentax and Canon have a different aspect ratio.