Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2008, 05:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Rescueing an SD card...

I just had to recsue an SD card for a friend...

I searched for a while for a freeware utility and found this tiny program called "Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery", holy cow it does an amazing job!

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery download and review - recover pictures from media cards from SnapFiles

It takes a while to scan a 2gb card, but it recovered every picture (complete and incomplete) on the card.

Just letting y'all know in case you need it!

Pat

03-08-2008, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks,

Got it bookmarked!
03-08-2008, 09:16 PM   #3

Great find, thanks for sharing!
03-08-2008, 09:18 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's great. Could have used it 6 months ago but it' bookmarked for the future. Thanks for the post.

03-15-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting, I just downloaded that program. I accidently reformatted a card on my point and shoot several months back and lost all the pictures. I hope I never have to use this but am now prepared in case I have a brain fart and do something dumb again. Another lesson learned would be to always carry a spare card so if something like that happens I can keep taking pictures and not overwrite and forever loose those photos.
03-15-2008, 11:29 AM   #6

Anybody who knows how this compairs with the tool that comes with certain (maybe even all ?) Sandisk cards ? (RescuePRO)

There are so many of these recovery utilities out there and they all claim to be the best that it's very hard to find the best (or maybe they are all equally good).
03-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Thanks for the post. Given what little size it is, have gone ahead and installed it ahead of any emergency

03-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

"Supported formats are TIFF, Exif, JPEG and GIF"

I suppose that means RAW shooters are SOL with this program.
03-15-2008, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Probably... but then again it is FREE... beggars can't be picky...

Pat
03-16-2008, 02:16 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
"Supported formats are TIFF, Exif, JPEG and GIF"

I suppose that means RAW shooters are SOL with this program.
Then it's nothing for me, but then again I just saw that RescuePRO 3.2 from Sandisk (that you get with their SD-cards) doesn't support the Pentax PEF files eighter (RescuePro 4.0 Deluxe should according to some resources on Sandisk but when you look at the sellers website they don't like PEF as supported).
03-16-2008, 03:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PhotoRec and TestDisk are my tools of choice when it comes to rescuing cards and disk alike. OpenSource and cross-platform available at PhotoRec - CGSecurity

PhotoRec is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents and archives from Hard Disks and CDRom and lost pictures (thus, its 'Photo Recovery' name) from digital camera memory. PhotoRec ignores the filesystem and goes after the underlying data, so it will still work even if your media's filesystem has been severely damaged or re-formatted.

PhotoRec is free, this open source multi-platform application is distributed under GNU Public License. PhotoRec is a companion program to TestDisk, an app for recovering lost partitions on a wide variety of filesystems and making non-bootable disks bootable again. You can download them from this link.

For more safety, PhotoRec uses read-only access to handle the drive or memory support you are about to recover lost data from. Important: As soon as a pic or file is accidentally deleted, or you discover any missing, do NOT save any more pics or files to that memory device or hard disk drive; otherwise you may overwrite your lost data. This means that even using PhotoRec, you must not choose to write the recovered files to the same partition they were stored on.

Last edited by newmikey; 03-16-2008 at 03:03 AM. Reason: added info
04-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #12

I wanted to thank ve2vfd and newmikey, their recommendations just helped me immensely. I'd suggest this thread get made a sticky to the top of the forum...

Boss's boss's kid took some pictures on a camera, deleted them (very young) and then took a couple more photos... It was mentioned I might be able to do something, but my first Google searches came up with nothing but cripple-ware (hold your data hostage 'till you pay) crap--worse, most of it was 2+ years old.

(After a good reminder that a 4GB SDHC card will not show up in an older reader...) I ran both PhotoRec and Zero Assumption (NOT at same time, obv.) on the card. I have no way of knowing how many files used to be on the card.

PhotoRec did a better job but is more for technical people--it asks a lot of questions about things like filesystems and is fairly user unfriendly (clearly came from Linux community) but the next version may be a little more automated (I used v6.9). But if you know the right answers it works great! Recovered 62 files, about 450MB of data... now this is from a point and shoot camera, you may wonder at the average size of the files there... that's because many of the files were .asf (or something) movie files, which it also recovered just fine! PhotoRec specializes in understanding and restoring all kinds of native camera formats, so if you're trying to recover your camera's version of RAW files (or movies) it is the one to use.

Zero Assumption Digital Image Recovery is *a lot* easier to use, but just didn't do as good a job. It found 39 files, some of which were movie files but it recovered them as .jpg files showing only the first frame (even when the file was huge). This app is better suited to recovering a card with just .jpg files from a simple point and shoot.

So if you have corruption, deletion or accidental format I highly recommend both these tools. But it's worth noting they're worthless if the computer can't mount the card at all.

Thanks again!

Last edited by JMLang; 04-06-2008 at 06:56 PM.
04-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So, after reading this threat I just had to try it. I installed Rescue Pro 3.3 that came with my last 4 gig SDHC card. I had just formatted this card after taking about 75 images but privious to that the card had been filled a number of times. The good news: it recovered 214 files with one bad one. These were all RAW files from the K10D. That has made me very happy. Hopefully I will never need to do this for real but it is good to know that it does work.
04-11-2008, 10:37 AM   #14
Forum Member

my extream III card came with some recovery software???

never used it
never tried even

is it any good anyone know????
04-12-2008, 04:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I've got the SanDisk RescuePRO 3.0 utility here.
If anyone wants a copy, send me a note.

- Bert