Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2013, 01:45 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Photos lose sharpness fro catalog to develop in LR4

This problem has perplexed me and a friend and I have not been able to find this problem described elsewhere. Actually I have seen people have just the opposite problem. When I load LR4 and am looking at photos that have had work done in PS CS6 13.0.1 (with camera raw 7.1) in the LR4 (4.3 and 4.3) catalog, the photos look tack sharp in the library and as soon as I switch over to develop mode, they're sharp for about 2 seconds and then they lose sharpness. If I switch back to catalog, they look sharp again. Again, this only happens to the photos I have adjusted in PS and the rest are stable with their sharpness. What is the deal with this? I have read about people having the problems with losing sharpness going from develop to library, but not the way I'm experiencing this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. As a side note, this problem did not happen when I was using LR4 (4.2) with CS3. I would like to not have to revert back to the older software to correct this problem.

04-14-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I've just tried to replicate this, but you'll need to give me a couple more answers.

The images that you've already worked on in ACR/CS6 are saved as what sort of files, tiff, psd or jpg?

In ACR have the images been updated to current 2012 process, i.e. not fill light slider but shadows slider instead? Also in Camera Raw Preferences under General do you have the Apply sharpening to all images or preview images only?

What colour palette are you using? Adobe RGB 16 bit, 8 bit, sRGB or something else?

And last but not least, you don't appear to have performed the latest upgrades to your software, the current versions on a Mac are, Lightroom 4.4, ACR 7.4. & Photoshop CS6 13.0.4
04-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the input. I'll do my best to help. None of the images have been exported from the suite of software so they are still DNG. I would upload from my memory card to LR and then select edit in>photoshop. I am running a PC. My color space used was adobe RGB.The preference setting is set to apply sharpening to all images. As for the "2012 process" I'm afraid i need further clarification on that one.
04-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #4

Original Poster
UPDATE: Just found the process and it's set to 2012.

04-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #5
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by johnny6.6 Quote
This problem has perplexed me and a friend and I have not been able to find this problem described elsewhere. Actually I have seen people have just the opposite problem. When I load LR4 and am looking at photos that have had work done in PS CS6 13.0.1 (with camera raw 7.1) in the LR4 (4.3 and 4.3) catalog, the photos look tack sharp in the library and as soon as I switch over to develop mode, they're sharp for about 2 seconds and then they lose sharpness. If I switch back to catalog, they look sharp again. Again, this only happens to the photos I have adjusted in PS and the rest are stable with their sharpness. What is the deal with this? I have read about people having the problems with losing sharpness going from develop to library, but not the way I'm experiencing this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. As a side note, this problem did not happen when I was using LR4 (4.2) with CS3. I would like to not have to revert back to the older software to correct this problem.
Sounds like LR is switching to a lower res preview for some reason. In the develop module, if you zoom in on one of these images does it sharpen up? If you then zoom back out does it stay sharp or go back to slightly blurry?
04-14-2013, 06:51 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you send a photo from Lr to CS6 for editing you first get a dialog box with 2 options: <Edit original> and <Edit a copy with Lightroom Adjustments>.
<Edit Original> disregards Lr edits and <Edit a copy ...> creates another PSD (or TIFF) with all Lr adjustments included.

So what did you choose? And what file format are you exporting out of LR? Are you using layers in CS6?

LR 4 > CS3 is not very functional as the latter uses an older version of the ACR process engine that degrades the image when returning to LR. You need to ensure the ACR versions are in synch

M
04-14-2013, 07:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
If I zoom in on the image it does sharpen up. When I zoom back out it sometimes goes back to less sharp and sometimes decides it would rather just remain sharp. Which I find very odd. LR4>CS3 was what I was using before but not now. Now I am current. The edits in CS6 have been minor adjustments not requiring layers. I did one mask which was merged down before leaving the program.

04-14-2013, 07:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

1. It helps to use correct terminology. The Library module is what I think you mean when referring to "catalog." The catalog in LR is the sum of all parametric edits made to all images.

2. In the Develop module, you need to zoom to 1:1 (100%) to accurately view sharpness (and NR) as applied. An additional way is to work at a reduced viewing size in Develop and use the little window in the Detail side panel. You can right-click and choose between 1:1 or 2:1; I prefer the latter, especially for NR.

3. I think I've read that users should be able to perceive applied sharpness at lesser magnification on the whole image with newer dot releases of LR, but I remain unconvinced, as I bet you are as well.

M
04-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #9

Original Poster
Yes, I have a horrible habit of saying catalog instead of library. My apologies. Thanks for the help. We exported one of the images in question as a jpeg to see if the final photo would indicate this loss of sharpness and it did not. So I guess I'll just work around this annoyance and understand the final image will not reflect that. Thanks again.
04-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
While I was sleeping, your problem got fixed, if only life worked the same.
04-16-2013, 06:07 PM   #11

Original Poster
Yes indeed. That would be nice. Though it's more of a "live with it" sort of thing at this point. haha. Though LR5 is in beta and maybe this issue will be addressed. Time will tell.