Veteran Member

Lightroom 5 beta available.

Just saw this on another forum:

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | photo management software beta - Adobe Labs

04-15-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davek Quote
Didn't LR4 JUST come out? I have LR3.6 because it's around a year old. Wow, that's a fast cycle for software.
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is just the beta release, final release is usually a couple months after beta.

I believe v4 is about a year old, seems to be on an one year-ish release cycle .
04-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Didn't LR4 JUST come out? I have LR3.6 because it's around a year old. Wow, that's a fast cycle for software.
Version 4.0
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.0 was officially released on March 5, 2012 after having been available in beta format since January 10, 2010[7].

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom

04-15-2013, 01:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenafein Quote
Version 4.0
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4.0 was officially released on March 5, 2012 after having been available in beta format since January 10, 2010[7].

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanks. Time flies, but 12 months is still pretty darn fast.
04-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Thanks. Time flies, but 12 months is still pretty darn fast.
The Beta for lightroom 4 lasted 2 years. If the beta for 5 lasts 1-2 years, then it will have been a worthwhile investment to buy 4.
04-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Form the download page:
QuoteQuote:
When you install Lightroom 5 beta, the software will remain active through June 2013
I assume there will be further Beta versions. They can't go from Beta 1 to final in 2½ months, can they?

04-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I assume there will be further Beta versions. They can't go from Beta 1 to final in 2½ months, can they?
Anything is possible, but I would think a second Beta is more likely. Usually a first release, no matter how much testing, will have significant issues that need fixing. By the time you get to a second release you hope most of the big problems have been spotted and its the less frequent quirks that start showing up as more users weigh in.
04-15-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Here's alink to the changes
04-15-2013, 03:30 PM   #10
Veteran Member

As Aperture user i feel pain :\
I don't want to switch again, database conversion is kind hard, but Adobe innovates regularly.
04-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I tried LIghtroom when it was version 3 and didn't like it. I downloaded the beta of version 5 just now and will give it a try again. I'm using Photoshop Elements 9 now and like it pretty much. It does what I want anyway. So, we'll see how the new version is going to work for me. I have no faith I'll like it any better than previous versions.
04-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Well, rumors have it that Apple will introduce new Mac Pro models within a few weeks. They really ought to introduce the next version of Aperture to give folks more fairy dust with their hardware purchase. They should also have some kind of trade-in incentive (Mac Pros are losing value very quickly) and throw Aperture into the deal.

If a new version of Aperture doesn't come out within the next two-three months, my guess is that they are in the process of selling off the product. Apple has bigger whales to wallop these days, as I think Aperture was Steve Jobs' giving the finger to Adobe when that stuff may have mattered. Nowadays Apple could buy Adobe as an afterthought. But they won't; they'll sell Aperture to Google or AutoDesk instead

M
04-15-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
I don't want to switch again, database conversion is kind hard, but Adobe innovates regularly.
I hear you. I was with aperture from the very beginning. Last year I made the switch to lr4 right when it came out. Apple was doing little updates here and there, but lr4 just offered too much. I am very happy with my switch, but I did keep what was on aperture on aperture.
04-15-2013, 10:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Well, rumors have it that Apple will introduce new Mac Pro models within a few weeks.
Like Pentax FF new Mac Pro have been in rumors for years.
04-16-2013, 03:25 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
Form the download page:
Depends wether the release is based on quality or if it is based on quarterly revenue requirements.
Sadly, most software is released when the bean-counters say they need the money rather than when the developers say it is whats best for the customer.

You are more likely to see an early release, bad press about the poor quality, followed up by a quick update with a press release stating how important the customer is and how quickly they were able to respond to the problems.

So yeah, it *can* be done.
I always like the phrase; just because you can do a thing, doesn't mean you should do a thing.

At least Adobe has tended towards multiple betas if significant issues come out. I wish they'd do more, but you do have to draw the line somewhere.

(can you tell my real life is in software development?)