Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 06:19 AM   #1

Microphotography setup advice - not specifically PENTAX related

Good day everybody,

my brother is working in the microbiology lab at the local university.
In the course of the research, he is taking a lot of (hundreds, maybe even thousands) microphotographies. The shots all look like small light blue spots on the very dark blue to black background.
Current setup consists of OLYMPUS microscope and OLYMPUS C4040 camera with adapter.
ISO 100, f 1.8, 1/30sec, 35-105 lens @ 105mm.
He would like to upgrade (C4040 is camera from 2001) his setup because of the insufficient sharpnes of the objects and vigneting (shots are darker near the borders).
These shortcomings are causing trouble during semiautomatic counting and measuring of the microbes in the shot.

I would very much apreciate your advice in finding good camera to hook with the microscope (it does not have to be OLY at all - simple adapter ring can solve that) that is not expensive and can yield significantly better results than Oly 4040.
Significantly better as in: "no vignetting, noisefree at ISO 100/200, tack sharp, more depth of field than Oly 4040".

I'm thinking about simple DSLR with remote control software and high quality prime lens.

I will be looking into microphotography forums, of course, but as I higly value all of the people here, I would very much like to hear your advice.

03-06-2008, 07:24 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax made a microscope adapter which you can find second hand. There is no lens involved; the adapter goes right onto the body in lieu af the lens. So it is a different setup than what your brother has.

Amazon.com: Pentax Microscope Adapter B: Camera & Photo