Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
Inactive Account

PS Elements 6... no instruction book?!

I just purchased Photoshop Elements 6 with excited anticipation to start learning what editing software can do for my photos, when lo and behold, no instructions! Sure, it's got a "Getting Started" guide but with so many features, I need details, examples, and explanation of each!

Anyone else purchase PS Elements? If so, all you received was the getting started "overview" (which looks more like a sales brochure explaining WHAT you can do, not HOW you can do it)?

03-06-2008, 02:50 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
It's the same with all software these days. I have Lightroom and it also only comes with a Getting Started Guide, although there is more available in the Help file.

You have to buy a third party book if you want real help.
03-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chrisman Quote
It's the same with all software these days. I have Lightroom and it also only comes with a Getting Started Guide, although there is more available in the Help file.

You have to buy a third party book if you want real help.
are you guys sure there's no PDF file or HTML file on the disc that is the manual?
03-06-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For light room there is an online pdf manual I haven't checked for Elements 6 but there is online help for it that seems to be lacking detail. I just put an order in last week for a Scott Kelby book coming out on Elements 6 since most of the on-line is only moderately helpful once you get into it. I looked at some of the other books but this one was recommended more on reputation.

03-06-2008, 08:18 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Book Recommendations

I recently bought PSElements 6 and wanted some help in maximizing the potential of the program. I went to my local library and checked out a couple of books.

The first was Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0: Classroom in a Book. This book is what I imagine a complete manual would be if the PS Elements came with one; it explains how to use the different features of the program.

The second book was Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0: Maximum Performance written by Mark Galer and published by Focal Press. I found this book to be a great help. Mr. Galer shows how to use the program in a lot of creative ways that get the most out of the PSElements. He teaches several work-arounds that allow user to take advantage of several editing tools that are not directly featured in Elements, but are found in the Photoshop CS family. This book has several projects for the user to try (It even comes with a DVD of practice images and other add-ons). To get the most out of this book, I think it would be useful to have at least some experience working with layers.

I know that Mark Galer's book is available in a PSelements 6.0 version, and I think the other is available in a 6.0 version as well. I read the 5.0 versions because they were available at my library. I have found the information and techniques in these books to work very well on PS Elements 6.0.

Good Luck
03-07-2008, 08:37 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeLJ Quote
... The first was Adobe Photoshop Elements 5.0: Classroom in a Book. This book is what I imagine a complete manual would be if the PS Elements came with one; it explains how to use the different features of the program.
I was just looking into this very same book and was shocked to see it marketed by Adobe! That's a bit of a poor tactic in profiting, as your assessment is exactly what I thought... this is a complete manual marketed separately. IMHO, Adobe would have been more honest in their business if they had just up'd the price of Elements 6 by $30 and include the 'manual', rather than letting the consumer buy the software, then say "If you REALLY want to learn all the features, here's the manual you can buy for $30"!

I'm even more mad at Adobe now!

Thanks everyone for the other suggestions. I'll try to review all of these from my local library and select the best one (other than Adobe's, as they aren't getting any more of my money) to buy!
03-08-2008, 09:04 PM   #7

I recently bought elements and was shocked as well. I don't know how they can sell a product with no users guide
03-14-2008, 10:02 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very rarely does any software come with an instruction book these days. As I am fairly new to digital also, I got Elements 6 because just about every photo mag and photo website and forum has tons of info and help on using Photoshop but very little info on any of the others. Besides, Elements doesn't cost more than any of the others. As for Adobe selling manuals, they aren't doing anything any other software company is doing. My local bookstore has "official" manuals with company logos from Microsoft, Apple, Corel, Adobe and so on for $50 and up. I agree its a ripoff but as long as consumers tolerate it things won't change.

03-14-2008, 06:57 PM   #9
Pentaxian

It seems most people complain about crappy manuals and buy a book anyway.