Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-22-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I need convicing - Photoshop Elements 11

I am debating getting the Adobe Photoshop Elements 11 and Premiere 11 package (Amazon has it at a good price). I have Lightroom 4 and I use that for most of my editing. I also have Corel Paint Shop Pro X5 but have not really 'taken' to that. Just don't really like the interface but in fairness have not spent a lot time learning it.

I need a video editor and premiere 11 seems like a reasonable low cost solution. Is Elements good enough ? With some of the Plug ins mentioned in This Threadl , it can indeed work on 16bit. I could just get Photoshop however I think as mentioned everywhere for me that would be like buying a backhoe to dig a hole for a bedding plant - just a tad overkill.

So all you Element users out there are you pretty happy with the product ? All the reviews I have read are good , so no need to point me there. While I haven't given Corel Paint Shop Pro a real chance should I ? For $120 I get a decent video editor and I can learn Elements that may help with an eventual upgrade to Photoshop at some point.

04-22-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you have a K-5 or a camera that records .AVI's, premiere elements can't open those files unless you convert them yourself. Just something to think about!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-22-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you have a K-5 or a camera that records .AVI's, premiere elements can't open those files unless you convert them yourself. Just something to think about!
Ugg that's not a good thing at all , thanks Adam.
04-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What do you use to convert them Adam ?

04-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No real love for Elements ? it's kind of a rhetorical question really - I need to decide what I want to use aside from Lightroom. PSP X5 is more than capable just not a big fan of the interface so far. I think Elements will be fine, a little disappointed Premiere won't read Native K5 files.
04-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Elements 9 and am decently pleased with it. I don't use it a whole lot, sometimes do photomerges with it, face exchanges or harder clone jobs that are possible in lightroom. I have used premiere elements in the past and was not particularly happy with it. Would probably be less so now, since I do take some family video with my K5s and it is not very friendly with it.
04-23-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have Elements 8, but found the ACR module in it was crippled functionally, so I swapped to LR where the Develop module has full ACR functionality. Was really narked off that ACR in Elements was artificially limited by Adobe. I now use LR every day, but rarely touch Elements. I only use it for more complex processing (eg removing annoying objects that the local adjustment tool in LR can't deal with) and I use it so infrequently that my (re)learning curve is horrendous each time I go there. For touching up photos, Elements has most of the necessary tools, although some forms of layer masks are missing vs Photoshop. From LR you can transfer an image seamlessly to Elements.

Don't use video, so no opinion there.

04-23-2013, 09:16 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I use Lightroom most of the time and Elements for some of the few things I can't do in Lightroom. I recently upgraded to ver 11 from 9 after I got it free with the purchase of an Wacom Intuos tablet. I can see no real difference right off between Elements 9 & 11 although I sure somebody will chime in. Since I hardly shoot any video, I can't add a thing about Premeire. As for Elements, to this point it has done all I have needed it to do with the PP skills I have. For me, the LR/Elements combination works well. Since it plays well with Lightroom and also with most plug ins, it's a pretty logical choice
04-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback - I do like the fact Elements integrates well with Lightroom. Given the issues with Premiere and I don't do a lot of Video (and have few tools that will work) opted for just Elements 11. Elements 12 should not be released next week or at least go on half price sale.
04-25-2013, 12:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Hi Dave
Actually, I use LR4 and Elements 11 as my main adjustment tools. Now actually, I am far from an expert on Photoshopping photographs, but I find the combination of the two is very satisfactory. oh, yes, I do have Topaz plugins as well, mainly for the fun of it, but do enjoy using them as well.
I upgraded Elements 10 to 11 about a month ago, and there are a few differences but not a real lot.
Best of luck.
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

If you want to get a video editor on the cheap, check eekbay for Video Studio Pro X3. You can get new old stock for $25 or so. It opens .avi and more. Runs on Windows up to Windows 7.
Haven't tried it but forums say not on Windows 8.