Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need Data recovery guidance

Hi,

I'm not even sure this is the right section for this question, but anyways,
I bought an external 2TB USB drive to backup my hard drive. Since my hard drive is smaller, I ended up transferring many files (pictures) to the external 2TB unit to free up space in my HD. You guessed it: The external drive died on me!
I took it apart and removed the disk itself hoping that it was the USB that was at fault, but another USB SATA adapter confirms the disk is not responding.
I'm not sure what else to try. Any ideas?
Does anyone have experience with data recovery services?
This is (was) a Western Digital My book unit.

Thanks,

04-24-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Place it in the freezer overnight and plug it back in to see if it will go.
04-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I am not sure about data on the external USB drive, because it dead. but the hard drive on your computer might still have the deleted data. (I assume you already delete the data on your computer's hard drive.)
try Pandora Recovery, I have successfully recovered my deleted data in past with this software and it is free.

according to PendoraRecovery web site :
"How does it work?
When you delete a file on FAT32 or NTFS file system, its content is not erased from disk but only reference to file data in File Allocation Table or Master File Table is marked as deleted. It means that you might be able to recover deleted files, or make it visible for file system again... "
04-24-2013, 09:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pakinjapan Quote
I am not sure about data on the external USB drive, because it dead. but the hard drive on your computer might still have the deleted data
This is almost certainly true,the program I have used in the past is Transcend's RecoverRx, which has the added bonus of being able to recover data off SD and Flash cards
where you will be surprised what is still on them. RecoveRx is also free and is a very small file to download.
Glenn

04-24-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
Emperor and Senpai
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've used recuva, but that will not help an HDD that has stopped spinning up. That's why I suggested the freezer trick. It may get your data off before it dies again.
04-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #6

The freezer method is one of those last ditch efforts to quickly pull off what information you can. Make sure you seal it up tight to prevent condensation build up and get your stuff off of there FAST. Also, we are not liable for any damage, heartache blah blah...
04-25-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
I've used recuva, but that will not help an HDD that has stopped spinning up...
True, but packinjapan was suggesting trying recuva on the original HDD to see if it can retrieve the files that were deleted after copying to the external drive. Worth a shot but chances get worse the more the computer has been used since.

04-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all, but there is no chance the images are in the original drive. It has since been filled (and dumped to other drives) at least twice since then. The 2TB external drive spins.
My question is more about suggestions or experiences with data recovery service companies.
Has anyone used one of these?

Thanks,
04-27-2013, 01:26 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by ismaelg Quote
data recovery service companies
Really it all comes down to cost and how valuable the data is to you, to warrant being recovered.

Bearing in mind there is usually a cost incurred even if it's beyond recovery by these folk.

It's a straight economic decision, if it's worth it.
04-27-2013, 02:01 AM   #10

My experience is that Western Digital drives have a higher failure rate than Seagate. Some people won't touch Seagate because they had a high failure rate with one series of drives. This has not been repeated in subsequent series.

A company I worked for used one of the data recovery companies back in the 90s. It was a life saver. I don't remember which company but there were only a few back then. This one was based in Southern California and probably is still in business as it was rated one of the best back then.