Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

PEK RAW Image format causing DSS to crash???

I accidentally had the RAW format setting on my K-5 set to PEK instead of DNG when doing some astrophotography. I normally use Deep Sky Stacker to stack my images which of course won't accept the PEK file format. The obvious solution is just to save the PEK images as DNGs using Pentax's camera utility software. However when I do this the converted DNG files always causes DSS to crash when ever I try to run it. Any idea what the cause would be? Are the DNG files saved from the K-5 different than that when created using the software utility?

04-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hard to say what could be causing the crash, but have you tried saving them as a .TIFF instead?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, it works with .TIFF but the resulting image quality isn't as good.
04-28-2013, 09:39 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have any of the Adobe products to read in the files as PEK and then save as DNG (eg Lightroom)? The Pentax converter may be adding some proprietary metadata fields that DSS is not able to interpret correctly.

04-29-2013, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
try using the free Adobe RAW converter to create your DNGs from the PEF format.