Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Linux, color management and video drivers

I'm considering moving to linux for my main computer at home. I'll be building a new machine this summer or fall so I can select hardware specifically to work well in linux for my purposes. To that end I've been doing some research and testing using an old laptop that is very well supported. So far I am pretty happy with the software I've tested but I've run into a show stopping problem on the driver / hardware side of things.

My primary use of the computer is photographic work but I do enjoy playing games in my spare time. So I want to be able to use the video drivers provided by either amd or nvidia.

In my testing on the laptop I've discovered that the Nvidia driver does not support the extensions required for the Gnome Color Management utility to apply a profile to the display. So, I'm wondering if anyone knows if the AMD driver has a similar issue.

I've spent a fair amount of time researching this and have come up empty handed.

05-03-2013, 07:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might want to try browsing some of the Linux forums. I have used Ubuntu and found their forums a lot of help.
Ubuntu Forums
05-03-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I actually started this search on the ubuntu forums. And I've spent quite a bit of time hunting through various linux, ubuntu, debian, gnome, nvidia and amd related forums and mailing lists. I thought I'd try here because I know there are people on these forums that use linux and I figured there is a good chance that at least one of them has an amd video card, uses the closed source amd driver and calibrates their display.
05-03-2013, 08:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Ubuntu computer is nearly 10 years old at his point. I was using the onboard graphics and an old monitor. I never calibrated the monitor as it was mostly used for web browsing and other stuff. It survives only as a redundant backup for my photos today.

05-03-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I hope this isn't a horrible breach of forum protocol, but I posted my detailed findings over at Ars Technica, and I'm just gonna link:

Linux, color management and video drivers - Ars Technica OpenForum

I'm "Champ" over there. Bottom line, for people who don't wanna get out of the boat: nvidia driver 304.88 seems to work correctly for me, and color profiles appear to do what they're supposed to do.