Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Suggestions for flat screen monitor?

As a certified Old Fart I a still using a CRT, a Dell that came with a computer - since replaced - that I bought several years ago. This old thing, the CRT, that is! is acting up, so I may need to replace it.

Does anyone have suggestions for a monitor capable of proper photo editing (I have the Spyder 3 Pro for calibration) that wouldn't cost an arm, leg, and other appendages I'm rather fond of? I'm running Vista with all updates, 12 g memory, a Radyon video board, etc. My computer will run 2 monitors, which might be handy on occasion.

I edit in Lightroom, scan with VueScan with an Epson V799 if that info makes any difference.

Are there any trusty websites which evaluate monitors for those not terribly interested in video games?

Many thanks!

05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
As a certified Old Fart I a still using a CRT, a Dell that came with a computer - since replaced - that I bought several years ago. This old thing, the CRT, that is! is acting up, so I may need to replace it.

Does anyone have suggestions for a monitor capable of proper photo editing (I have the Spyder 3 Pro for calibration) that wouldn't cost an arm, leg, and other appendages I'm rather fond of? I'm running Vista with all updates, 12 g memory, a Radyon video board, etc. My computer will run 2 monitors, which might be handy on occasion.

I edit in Lightroom, scan with VueScan with an Epson V799 if that info makes any difference.

Are there any trusty websites which evaluate monitors for those not terribly interested in video games?

Many thanks!
Look for an IPS monitor, something in the 23-24 inch range should run under $200 on sale (at 1080p resolution) - if you want higher resolution at that size you'll be around $250 on sale. As long as you don't have an aversion to buying online, I'd suggest to check www. - just search 'ips monitor' and it will bring up recent deals. I just bought an HP 27 inch IPS monitor a month ago from amazon for $270 - it is 1080p and at that size you can begin to see the pixels, but otherwise it is a very nice monitor, I'm happy with the purchase. I would've went for higher resolution but at that size they become quite expensive (increments for different features/builds move from 20-50 dollar changes to hundreds!).
05-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the info. If I can free up some desk real estate I might be able to use the old CRT in a dual setup as long as it works. It is beginning to need the occasional whack to make the left hand side of the image return.
05-02-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info. If I can free up some desk real estate I might be able to use the old CRT in a dual setup as long as it works. It is beginning to need the occasional whack to make the left hand side of the image return.
If you think dual monitors would be useful for the way you work, then going for 2 20 inch monitors would also put you around the low $200s - as long as your video card supports dual monitors that might be a better/alternate option.

05-02-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
IPS monitors are far more affordable than when I last looked! I also gather that the gamut reproduced by the monitor is an important consideration. I assume that sRGB monitors are more affordable than the full Adobe RGB; certainly the even more "professional" gamuts are probably unaffordable. I'm trying to find a review site.

Yep, I could run dual monitors.
05-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

IPS is not the only option, just avoid TN panels, all the rest are quite valid.
Don't buy anything with a glossy screen, it does nothing good.

Here is a good review site
TFT Central - LCD Monitor Information, Reviews, Guides and News

If colour is important to you i would get a high end single screen. The "budget" serries from Eizo and Nec are quite affordable if you don't get a big screen.
These monitors support aRGB and they have hardware with a higher bit lookup table so more colours basically.
With the cheap $200 panels you might get posterization in some cases.
05-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

This is a useful link:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/digital-processing-software-printing/2132...rocessing.html

DELL has several monitors that support 100% sRGB:
Monitors

05-02-2013, 04:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I might be able to use the old CRT in a dual setup as long as it works.
Certainly do not do this. The mismatch in brightness among other factors won't serve you well. And CRTs suck up a lot of energy.

Just ensure you have enough clearance in your workspace to sit far enough away from a larger monitor to avoid eye fatigue and to maintain proper perspective. I strongly recommend IPS monitors--the more expensive IPS-H are render tones more accurately than the newer (and cheaper) IPS-e-based monitors.

M

Last edited by Miguel; 05-02-2013 at 04:46 PM.
05-03-2013, 03:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
. I strongly recommend IPS monitors
So you're saying not to get for example an EIZO or NEC with PVA screen?
This a very nice screen if you can get hold of one HP LP2275W Review

For more modern and budget option this not an option?
Samsung S27A850D Review
05-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
So you're saying not to get for example an EIZO or NEC with PVA screen?
This a very nice screen if you can get hold of one HP LP2275W Review

For more modern and budget option this not an option?
Samsung S27A850D Review
I've had horrible experience with both the quality of a Samung S-PVA monitor and the abysmal warranty service provided by Samung. So I would recommend folks stay away from their monitors.

My recommendation is aimed at the OP's needs & not intended to pick a petty argument about brand choices. An EIZO or a good NEC I believe would not provide good value for the needs of the OP.

M
05-03-2013, 07:59 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm not the one talking specifically about brands.

You're saying that IPS is the only option while at the moment there are 4 other panel type that rival IPS.
Eizo and Nec use PVA and these brands are highly regard in the industry so they aren't using PVA for nothing.
Nec has this one with the new and cheaper C-PVA panel, it does not have the amazing viewing angles like IPS but it's certainly enough for normal use and just look at that contrast!
NEC EX231Wp Review
05-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #12
Forum Member

If you're willing to go used, I'm fairly happy with the late Dell 2007FPb S-IPS I picked up last year. If you can get one in good condition for $150 or less I'd go for it. sRGB, 1600x1200 resolution (0.25 dot pitch, I think), old school CCFL backlight. It's only 20 inches, but it has a virtually extinct 4x3 aspect ratio, so there's a decent amount of headroom for verticals. I'm running it on Win7 desktop with a Radeon HD 5450 video card.

Charles
05-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #13

Another options: korean IPS and PLS monitors.

Monitors and Displays - Search this page using the keyword "korean" and you will get plenty of results.

The couple of most known brands is Yamakasi Catleap and CrossOver.

Yamakasi Catleap Monitor Club
CrossOver 27Q LED/LED-P, 27M LED, & 2720MDP GOLD LED Monitor Club
Korean QNIX QX2710 Evolution ll 27" 2560x1440 Matte Samsung PLS panel ??
The Korean PLS Monitor Club (Qnix & X-Star)

They recieved quite psitiove feedback and some of them may reach refresh rates higher than 60Hz.
05-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
The ASUS - PA248Q IPS monitor looks pretty good, claiming out of the box calibration (I have a Spyder 3 Pro 3 just in case) and 100% sRGB capability, all for around $300, which puts it within my budget. Anyone have comments? User experiences? The various user reviews I've seen on NewEgg, etc, are favorable, but I'd rather hear what fellow Pentaxians have to say.

Again, many thanks for the responses from all of you!
05-16-2013, 10:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

For 599.00, I just place my order for a new Dell Ultrasharp U2711 to replace my old NEC 23 inch. We'll see how it is. Apparently they're getting rid of stock. It is a 2010 model.

Dell UltraSharp U2711 27-inch Widescreen Monitor with PremierColor : Computer Components | Dell

Larry

Last edited by larryinlc; 05-16-2013 at 11:54 AM.