Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2013, 07:05 AM   #1
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Posting images on this forum.

I dunno what I'm doing wrong but all my images when posted here look soft, you could cut your retinas on the originals.

Work flow is, export from Lightroom, sRGB, resized to shortest edge 800 pixels, jpeg, 100% quality, resolution 300 pixels, output sharpen for screen set to high.

Thoughts anyone...

I'm being a pratt cos other folk get them sharp, so I'm doing something dumb.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 05-05-2013 at 11:49 AM.
05-05-2013, 07:08 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Resize the images 1024 on the long side. That way the exif will be preserved too.
05-05-2013, 07:24 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Resize the images 1024 on the long side
Thanks for the quick reply, just tried that, didn't seem to look any sharper than 800 on short side and the exif still didn't make it in, but maybe I've got Lighroom stripping that out, I'll go check.

No Lightroom saying, Metadata set to all, except location data.

Do you have a Plan B for me?
05-05-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Do you have auto-scaling enabled in your forum preferences? That could certainly degrade the perceived image quality.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2013, 08:05 AM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
auto-scaling enabled in your forum preferences
I've just put zero in both max height and width for images boxes, only 1024 was entered in the width one, is this what you mean?
05-05-2013, 08:18 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I've just put zero in both max height and width for images boxes, only 1024 was entered in the width one, is this what you mean?
Yup, did that help? The only other thing I can think of is if you're uploading large files that end up being compressed by the forum.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
05-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, did that help?
Don't think so, files appear to meet size requirements, I'll keep plugging away, I'm sure some other members will weight in soon telling how dumb I've been.

05-06-2013, 04:31 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are they being posted directly into threads or via an album? I'm exporting from LR4 into forum albums, now using 1280 pixels on horizontal edge (taking advantage of new upload size) and quality = 65. That works ok and Exif preserved. I then post image from album into a thread. Only problem is when I occasionally post a square format and forget that the second edge is now too long and the uploader scales my image.
05-06-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Are they being posted directly into threads or via an album
Directly to threads, why do you have the quality=65? I set mine for 100%
05-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I based my choice of LR export quality on the basis of the analysis of Jeffrey Friedl on the impact of LR quality settings vs perceived quality vs file size, per the following article: http:// http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

I came to the view that 65 gave me a good compromise between quality and file size for the forum albums.
05-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Directly to threads, why do you have the quality=65? I set mine for 100%
Why 100? It just makes a larger file with no discernible difference in image quality over a setting of say 90.

JPEG Myths and Facts - Page 1
05-07-2013, 02:42 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Did you say you post in 300 DPI ?

Resample your pics to 72 DPI and then you can change the width pixel count to 1024. (After that check your pic by looking at it in actual size)

If you resample a small pic to 72 DPI and the resulting width pixel count is less then, say, 1024 (for these forum posts) don't bump up to a higher pixel count, if you do the computer has to invent pixels to fill in the gaps which always degenerates the quality. (You get away with a very small amount but not a lot)

After resampling I always apply a light sharpening as a last step.

Greetings