Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photoshop vs Lightroom w/ Perfect Photo Suite

Hi,
I am stuck between getting Photoshop CS6 or Lightroom with the Perfect Photo Suite. I can get Photoshop and Lightroom at discounted rates. What is your opinion?

05-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on what you need to do with your images. And on your level of experience with PS. If you are doing layers and complex graphics PS is the way to go. If minor edits, keywording and archiving are what you need then LR is the place to be.

I cannot work without LR, I can work without PS. I currently use LR for 90% of work. Perfect Photo Suite maybe 5% and PS Elements maybe 5%.
05-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
@jatrax, What can Photoshop Elements do that Perfect Photo Suite cannot?

Last edited by noahdsnell; 05-05-2013 at 06:50 PM. Reason: haha
05-05-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think LR+Perfect Photo Suite gives you just about all you need including layer functionality.

Elements is a cheap and easy solution as most of what you need is there. CS6 is more oriented towards advanced graphic arts and modeling these days, though content-aware fill is sweet (don't know if Elements has this). Like jatrax I use LR for at least 90% of everything if not more. But sometimes that final 10% is awfully important. I prefer the cloning in CS6, but it seems like LR5 will go aways to fix that. The only plugins I use are NIK Silver Efex and HDR efex pro2.

M

05-05-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by noahdsnell Quote
@jatrax, What can Photoshop Elements do that Perfect Photo Suite cannot?
No idea. I have perfect suite and use it for some things, but to be honest I like the interface in Elements better. Just what I'm used to. I think either will work, just pick which one you like or know better.

For that matter GIMP is a perfectly usable companion to LR and covers just about anything you would need. For me, I know LR and can get things done quickly, when I have a need for something more, like layers then I go to another program but it is a struggle because I don't use either Elements or Perfect Suite enough to be good at them.
05-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Editing software can be almost as bad as LBA. Sooner or later, you will probably own all those programs. Buy now before the price goes up.
05-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Editing software can be almost as bad as LBA.
True. There is always something new that has a whiz-bang feature that you just really have to have. I don't have a problem usually because I know it takes me far too much time to learn anything so buying new software is generally a waste of money. I focus my efforts on being as good as I can be in LR and anything else I learn only if I have to. I just don't have the time to learn more software.

05-06-2013, 06:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Yes, it does take time but after learning your way around, those plug ins start looking very interesting.
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Me, I use Lightroom for everything and where it can't do it, or it's not as good as, I use CS6.

Used together they are IMHO the perfect combo, they are different tools for designed to do different jobs, but they play together nicely.
05-16-2013, 12:36 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
Editing software can be almost as bad as LBA. Sooner or later, you will probably own all those programs. Buy now before the price goes up.
Hi, my name is Sue and I'm a brush addict. LOL! I love finding different brushes-not sure why. Oh wait, cheaper than LBA. LOL!
05-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by subeeds Quote
Hi, my name is Sue and I'm a brush addict. LOL! I love finding different brushes-not sure why. Oh wait, cheaper than LBA. LOL!
With LBA, once you buy a lens, you have it. Software gets updated every year to 18 months with new and better features and the cycle repeats itself. Perfect Photo Suite is far from perfect. If it was, they would put themselves out of business. Then there's the issue of computers, operating systems, and compatibility. Software has become the cash cow that film once was.