Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Adobe Creative Suite Goes Subscription Only

Adobe goes all in on the cloud, ditches Creative Suite | ZDNet

Well, that was faster than I expected, but the pull of all those continuous profits exerted an irresistible force field.

I assume Lightroom will cease to be a retail non-sub product as well? Yuck!

M

Last edited by Miguel; 05-06-2013 at 12:35 PM.
05-06-2013, 12:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I watched this interview with Scott Kelby and an Adobe exec last week where this discussion came up.
The Grid - The Grid with Scott Kelby & Matt Kloskowski is a live talk-show about photography, Photoshop & other industry-related topics. Each week features a different guest (in-studio or online) and viewers are encouraged to chime in on the Liveblog
05-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Well, as much as I love Photoshop that's the end of my 13 year old love affair with Adobe. CS6 will be MY last version because I will not use their software if it means cloud computing, sorry. I do not like cloud computing. I have never liked cloud computing and I won't be forced into going there. Not even for what looks like some amazing upcoming de-blurring filters. If you cloud compute they OWN you. Your work they can see it. They can monitor your work online and don't tell me they won't because we all know they likely will to protect their collective arses from prosecution should you be doing something that they think might get them busted. Your work is stored online and of course any excellent hacker can access it.

With me hopefully doing more and more boudoir work that is not something I want. I value my clients privacy too much for that. It would be like giving your work to Google besides. You can't tell me that they won't use the contents of your work and how you use their product every day to try to sell you more services. Of course they will. Adobe will be sending you more spam than ever I am sure trying to add more and more stuff to your base subscription. Heck, they send me emails at least 3 or 4 times a month as it is and I actually own the entire CS6 suite and LR as well. They probably have nothing left to sell me and I still get emails about books, seminars, and other stuff that they are developing, stuff like that.

This is a crock and btw, I told my pal at Adobe that when he told me they were going this route not too long ago. He laughed but admitted that he thought that they might lose a lot of customers over it and that he was hoping that they'd decide to do it both ways, traditional and cloud vs just going to just cloud. I haven't spoken to him much since but I'll just bet he's less than thrilled with this. Now I know why he was so darned generous the last time he upgraded me. He knew this was coming and knew it would likely be the last time I ever upgraded. That's why I got the whole suite this time instead of just Photoshop and Illustrator. I actually sent him and his wife a nice basket from Swiss Colony to say "thanks" this time. Now, I'm so very glad I did, lol.

Last edited by magkelly; 05-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.
05-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you don't have a really fast connection these Cloud programs are just plain BS in my experience. It's all about profits, and no real concern for the end user. Schools with 25 students trying to use the program at the same time. My son's school tried Word on the cloud and it overtaxed the online connection, so they went back (because they could) to hardware based Word.

05-06-2013, 01:31 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Well, as much as I love Photoshop that's the end of my 13 year old love affair with Adobe. CS6 will be MY last version because I will not use their software if it means cloud computing, sorry. I do not like cloud computing. I have never liked cloud computing and I won't be forced into going there. Not even for what looks like some amazing upcoming de-blurring filters. If you cloud compute they OWN you. Your work they can see it. They can monitor your work online and don't tell me they won't because we all know they likely will to protect their collective arses from prosecution should you be doing something that they think might get them busted. Your work is stored online and of course any excellent hacker can access it.
Just like with Apple you don't have to use the cloud, but you will have to pay Adobe $50/month for as long as you want to use the software...
05-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote

With me hopefully doing more and more boudoir work that is not something I want. I value my clients privacy too much for that. It would be like giving your work to Google besides. You can't tell me that they won't use the contents of your work and how you use their product every day to try to sell you more services. Of course they will. Adobe will be sending you more spam than ever I am sure trying to add more and more stuff to your base subscription. Heck, they send me emails at least 3 or 4 times a month as it is and I actually own the entire CS6 suite and LR as well. They probably have nothing left to sell me and I still get emails about books, seminars, and other stuff that they are developing, stuff like that.

This is a crock and btw, I told my pal at Adobe that when he told me they were going this route not too long ago. He laughed but admitted that he thought that they might lose a lot of customers over it and that he was hoping that they'd decide to do it both ways, traditional and cloud vs just going to just cloud. I haven't spoken to him much since but I'll just bet he's less than thrilled with this. Now I know why he was so darned generous the last time he upgraded me. He knew this was coming and knew it would likely be the last time I ever upgraded. That's why I got the whole suite this time instead of just Photoshop and Illustrator. I actually sent him and his wife a nice basket from Swiss Colony to say "thanks" this time. Now, I'm so very glad I did, lol.
Nice rant, but not applicable to the products under discussion. While you can activate some cloud-based features, the actual Creative Cloud applications reside on your hard drive. On the good side, maintenance upgrades are handled automatically. What resides on the cloud are the monthly subscription authorization processes. Your data is kept on your hard drive as well.

M
05-06-2013, 01:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Reading this I'm just glad I decided to pop by Rawtherapee's site yesterday. Bye bye LR5.
05-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Your work does not have to be on the cloud -- the only thing you need access for is to download the software installation and activation. It probably has to check every once in a while (monthly, I presume) to make sure your fees are paid. There are reasons to be upset about this, but paranoid notions of censorship and hacking of your work aren't among them.

05-06-2013, 01:59 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Your work does not have to be on the cloud -- the only thing you need access for is to download the software installation and activation. It probably has to check every once in a while (monthly, I presume) to make sure your fees are paid. There are reasons to be upset about this, but paranoid notions of censorship and hacking of your work aren't among them.
Well, that in and by itself is a great reason to not want the software: be taken hostage by $COMPANY to pay for all eternity in order to use the software that's generated (proprietary) files containing my work.

Thanks, but no thanks Adobe!
05-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think its a bit much to call concern about the Cloud "paranoid". We all know of instances in which Cloud based storage has been either a) hacked, b) lost, c) shut down without notice, or d) all of the above. The Cloud benefits basically the seller only in nearly 100% of the instances of which I am aware, not the consumer. Also, how do you know how it's going to work in the next iteration?
05-06-2013, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Adobe discusses their plans for Lightroom and the cloud. Looks like Lightroom 5 will still be available stand-alone:

QuoteQuote:
Lightroom and the Creative Cloud

Adobe’s recent announcement around our Creative Cloud update has generated quite a few questions around how it will impact Lightroom 5. I’ve answered a few of the questions below and please feel free to ask additional questions in the comments.

Q. How much will Lightroom 5 cost?

A. We do not have pricing information to share at this time.

Q. Will Lightroom 5 be included as part of Adobe Creative Cloud?

A. Yes. Lightroom 5 will be delivered to Creative Cloud members at no extra charge when it’s available.

Q. Will I still be able to purchase Lightroom 5 outside of the Creative Cloud

A. Yes. Lightroom 5 will continue to be available as a standalone product, available for purchase as an Electronic Software Download(ESD) or as a boxed product with a traditional perpetual license.

LR is all that I really use from Adobe, so it sounds like business as usual for me.
05-06-2013, 02:25 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Adobe discusses their plans for Lightroom and the cloud. Looks like Lightroom 5 will still be available stand-alone:

LR is all that I really use from Adobe, so it sounds like business as usual for me.
Thanks for that.
05-06-2013, 02:29 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I think its a bit much to call concern about the Cloud "paranoid". We all know of instances in which Cloud based storage has been either a) hacked, b) lost, c) shut down without notice, or d) all of the above. The Cloud benefits basically the seller only in nearly 100% of the instances of which I am aware, not the consumer. Also, how do you know how it's going to work in the next iteration?
But if you aren't using cloud-based storage, then there is no concern. Will everything be on the cloud in 10 years or so? Yeah, probably. But right now this is just a subscription-based activation thing if that's all you want it to be -- many programs have been working that way for a decade or more. If everyone revolts and it allows a competitor (or open-source) to gain market share, you can bet they will relent. Nobody is forcing anything onto anybody, and you certainly don't have to sign up if you don't want to. Like I said, there are legit reasons to get upset, but there is always plenty of paranoia and hysteria that has little connection to facts when any change is announced (for anything). My beef is with the subscription model itself, not the "cloud" thing per se.

The photoshop alternatives are better than ever and are only going to keep getting better, so it is easier and easier to do without Adobe altogether if you choose, and the more people that do drop Adobe and support alternatives the better the choices will be going forward.
05-06-2013, 02:33 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But if you aren't using cloud-based storage, then there is no concern. Will everything be on the cloud in 10 years or so? Yeah, probably. But right now this is just a subscription-based activation thing if that's all you want it to be -- many programs have been working that way for a decade or more. If everyone revolts and it allows a competitor (or open-source) to gain market share, you can bet they will relent. Nobody is forcing anything onto anybody, and you certainly don't have to sign up if you don't want to. Like I said, there are legit reasons to get upset, but there is always plenty of paranoia and hysteria that has little connection to facts when any change is announced (for anything). My beef is with the subscription model itself, not the "cloud" thing per se.

The photoshop alternatives are better than ever and are only going to keep getting better, so it is easier and easier to do without Adobe altogether if you choose, and the more people that do drop Adobe and support alternatives the better the choices will be going forward.
Yes, but until the full specifications are out (and we've read ALL the mice type in the contract) we'll not know for certain. However, when I buy a stand alone copy I know that my work is on my hard drive. It's not just a subscription based activation its ongoing cost for using the program and my bet is that there will be a mandatory upgrade after a certain date with additional cost. Now, I can run LR3 forever on my computer as long as I have a platform on which it will operate. With the Cloud you are at their mercy (and we know how much of that we've been getting lately from companies) as to cost from 1 month to the next and for cost, and timing, of cost for upgrades.
05-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, mandatory upgrades - I cannot run LR v4 - My computer is not 64 bit. Guess who won't be upgrading.