Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2013, 03:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosliwmit Quote
Curious how LR3 and LR5 will play together using the same catalog...
LR5b needs a new catalog, you can't open an existing catalog with it. I'm planing on upgrading the LR5b catalog I've created and using to reprocess some older file, to LR5 when the final version is released, then importing my LR4 catalog into my LR5 one.

05-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
While we're talking about LightRoom....

I have 4 on both my desktop with Vista and a HP laptop with Windows 7. I took the laptop on a vacation trip so I could get a headstart on massaging pix (I've decided that laptop screen angle picture changes are maddening!) Getting home I decided to export the images to the desktop via a thumb drive. Some day's images refused to load, others dropped varying numbers of images. I'm using the file menu's Export as Catalog. Those images which do make the trip have lost their tags, etc.

The desktop LR is 4.4, the laptop 4.1; I've been unsuccessful in updating further. Any ideas? I'd very much like to have everything in one place....
05-15-2013, 01:41 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Some day's images refused to load, others dropped varying numbers of images. I'm using the file menu's Export as Catalog. Those images which do make the trip have lost their tags, etc.
Questions:
1. When you say refused to load, what do you mean? Load into Lightroom as an imported catalog?
2. When you exported images as a catalog, did you select all the images in the library that you wanted to export?
3. When you exported images as a catalog, did you check the Export Negative Files box (by negative files they really mean master image files)?
4. In your exported catalog folder (on your desktop), what files are contained? The previews.Irdata and the catalog.Ircat and the .xmp sidecar files and the image files should be there.

M
05-15-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Questions:
1. When you say refused to load, what do you mean? Load into Lightroom as an imported catalog?
2. When you exported images as a catalog, did you select all the images in the library that you wanted to export?
3. When you exported images as a catalog, did you check the Export Negative Files box (by negative files they really mean master image files)?
4. In your exported catalog folder (on your desktop), what files are contained? The previews.Irdata and the catalog.Ircat and the .xmp sidecar files and the image files should be there.

M
Thanks for the quick reply!

1. I first tried loading the entire week's shooting as an imported catalog. Only a portion of the images loaded.
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. As far as I can tell only the image files ported over. None of the keywords survived, nor did any of the added metadata.

If necessary I can do all the editing, etc, on the laptop, but this is hardly ideal.

05-15-2013, 02:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
nor did any of the added metadata.
Catalog Settings>Metadata tab
Ensure third box down is checked--automatically write changes in xmp.

You should also select all the images you want exported and hit control/command S to manually write changes. Just in case.

None of the keywords survived
Metadata

M
05-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I haven't upgraded from LR3.6 yet and was reading about LR4.
I didn't upgrade to LR4 either for various reasons (to do with the product).

I'd definitely skip LR4 because there is hope that LR5's performance will be better again.

You'll probably also like the new cloning/healing tool that can address irregular shapes now. No more stringing together circles to remove a power line, or similar.
05-15-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Catalog Settings>Metadata tab
Ensure third box down is checked--automatically write changes in xmp.

You should also select all the images you want exported and hit control/command S to manually write changes. Just in case.

Metadata

M
Outstanding! I was sure there was a solution. Thanks, Miguel

05-15-2013, 03:50 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
One other thing about the new exposure controls is that they are really more intuitive. In all cases, moving a slider to the right increases exposure, while moving it left decreases it. And the sliders start in the center. Before you had a "Blacks" slider that starts at 0 on the left and moving it right actually makes the image darker. The recovery slider worked similarly. I thought it was be weird moving to the LR4 controls, but after just one session they totally make more sense.