Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2013, 08:40 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens Correction Profile -- arrgh! Help!

I thought I had created a lens correction profile to use on import in Lightroom 4, but I've just noticed that they are all screwed up. So here's what I've done. What am i doing wrong?

1) I go to a .DNG image and click "Reset" in the Develop module.
2) I go to LensCorrections. Under Color, I check "Remove Chromatic Aberration"
3) Under Presets, I choose Setup "Auto"
4) I choose Lens Profile "Pentax". ** At this point, the correct lens is picked by Lightroom**

Up to here, everything is fine. I then save this as a new Preset.

Now I apply this preset to a .DNG image taken with a different lens. Lens Make profile then goes to "None".

So, I try something else:

1) I go to a different .DNG image. Again, I remove chromatic aberration.
2) This time, under presets, I choose setup "Custom".
3) I choose Lens Profile "Pentax". ** At this point, the correct lens is picked up by Lightroom**

Again, up to here, everything is fine. I then save this as a new preset.

Now I apply this present to a .DNG image taken with a different lens. The lens profile goes back to the profile for the lens I had used to set up the profile in the first place.

I've been going round and round with this for awhile, trying different combinations of keystrokes, etc. I want a Preset I can use at import that will detect which lens I have used and then apply the proper correction. I know I must be making some stupid mistake but.... aaarghh!!

Thanks in advance.

05-13-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you are confusing lens corrections profiles with presets.
If your lens is not recognized by LR, then it is not in the database. You have to create a lens correction profile using Adobe Lens Profile Creator software. This requires some discipline and time, but works well. If you are not planning on having the lens for a while, or you don't need the corrections for high quality output, then it is not worth doing in my opinion as I speak from experience.

A lens correction preset has to have a recognized lens for it to register as something meaningful in the database.

What is your specific lens, and is it recognized in the database?

M
05-13-2013, 11:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
What is your specific lens, and is it recognized in the database?
Are both of the lenses in the database and if you open the DNG does LR select the correct lens when you go into lens corrections?