Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lightroom 4 now or wait a few months till 5 is released?

Title says it all. I don't want to get burned by buying LR4 with LR5 right around the corner. Does Adobe play fair if you buy an EOL product only a few months before the new release?

05-14-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
There are a few existing threads right below this one that discuss this. Often Adobe will sell the newest version at a discount if you purchase within a time frame, but with that time frame unknown there is risk.
Why don't you do the free trial for a month and then see what the market is doing after that?

M
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have a limited window of opportunity to use my academic discount, it ends before the trial does (and I do like what I see so far), so I figured I'd solicit some opinions. I'll pull the trigger and let the chips fall. I'll probably pick up CS6 PP as well before it disappears into the cloud, forever tethered to Adobe's bank accounts and customers' wallets.

I did a search for "Lightroom 5" and only got 4 hits:

"lightroom 5" - Search Results - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by MD Optofonik; 05-14-2013 at 10:46 AM.
05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
If you have a limited time frame where you can use your academic discount, pull the trigger now.

I would have thought this will be still a greater saving than the future upgrade cost of LR4 to LR5 when it becomes available.

You may need to check that there is an upgrade route from academic LR4 to non academic LR5 and if it's allowable in Adobe land.

I use both LR4 and CS6 and between them both, they meet all my photographic needs.

05-14-2013, 11:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I don't think you will be waiting months. I have the LR5 Beta and the Adobe site says the software is usable until June when the release is expected. It doesn't say when in June.
05-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #6

Here's the Adobe link to the new features, and to download the v5 beta so you can decide if you want it : Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 | photo management software beta - Adobe Labs

And elsewhere on the site you're able to download the trial version of 4: https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/tdrc/index.cfm?product=photoshop_lightroom

Give them both a try and see if it's worth waiting for.