Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2013, 10:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
printer profiles gone magenta

i wonder if anyone can shed some light on this.

I have for the last 3 years used a epson 2880 printer with paper from a uk supplier and used their colour profiles created for me on my printer.

my screens [2] are calibrated using a Spyder3. and I print with the epson printer disabled for colour management and use LR or Photoshop or qimage on a windows 7 pc to select the profile to match the paper.

I have never ever had any problems and my prints colours and tone are as close as I can get then to my screens colours and tone, in other words my colour profiling all works 100% ok.

or at least until to day.

today I saw that the print preview created on screen by the epson print driver software looked very very red. and that is what gets printed , no surprise as the preview is normally fairly accurate.

The image looks like there is a profile conflict as if both the printer software and the editing software were both set for profile selection. This of course is not the case and as I mentioned it was working ok and I have not to the best of my knowledge changed anything to cause this.

I have checked and double checked but cannot see why this is happening.

if I set the printer profile to be a generic epson one for gloss or matt paper however the red cast on the preview goes away and the images print ok, or as ok as they can with out the dedicated profile for the type of paper being used.

I am tearing my hair out , or what's left of it, over this and no one I have phoned up has any idea what is causing this. it is as if the windows or epson colour management has got itself screwed up.

the only other odd thing that has happened is my sd card reader which the pc calls drive g can be found via search in photoshop and is found in lightroom when you click on import., but it used to be when i inserted the card there was a screen dialog that gave me a choice of actions including opening the images with lr. now if I try that it won't do that anymore.

recently I installed then removed LR5 beta and installed a trial adobe acrobat full edition so I could edit pdf files can that have any bearing on this?

any ideas any one?

Last edited by adwb; 05-15-2013 at 10:11 AM.
05-15-2013, 10:22 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Could the removal of the LR5 beta have removed the profiles as well?

I have but bad experience with Adobe beta and trial releases. They create havoc of different kinds when uninstalled or even when replaced with a licensed version.

I had what you describe happen to me with an HP printer. I couldn't solve the problem and switched to an outside print service (MPix). When I bought a new PC and reinstalled my software the printer just worked as it should.

Sorry I can't help but hopefully someone would know how to beat print profiles into shape.
05-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ole, thanks , all the profiles are still there, have back up made pre lr5, i might do a total restore as I? have no idea what might be corrupted. I don't know if I should just restore the windows or the whole thing.
05-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
today I saw that the print preview created on screen by the epson print driver software looked very very red. and that is what gets printed
I don't know much about Windows 7 (just enough to not like its color management implementation), but it looks like your monitor profiles got corrupted somehow. Unless you are softproofing, the paper profiles should not impact preview.
Alternatively, the color space data of the images got either changed or corrupted.
I wish I knew the cause of your issues; I've been using Lightroom since the beginning, but never try out the initial beta releases (testing that is someone else's job). That could be a culprit, but it sounds intuitively not right.

M

05-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

When was the last time you did A head cleaning on your machine :
05-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you tried a restore point from an earlier date ?

By the way when ever I try a new program be it beta or anything else I make a disk clone using Acronis and if I don't like the new program I don't bother to uninstall it as i have learned it always leaves hidden stuff behind. I just replace the HDD. Use a HDD tray for this.

Greetings
05-15-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Have you tried a restore point from an earlier date ?

By the way when ever I try a new program be it beta or anything else I make a disk clone using Acronis and if I don't like the new program I don't bother to uninstall it as i have learned it always leaves hidden stuff behind. I just replace the HDD. Use a HDD tray for this.

Greetings
Restore point from before lr5 keeps saying it can't restore due to antivirus software. I have tuned the av off but it still says same thing. You are correct that I should have made a b/u at the installation point but I am doing that now .if I use the older b/u I have to fully restore then I can just replace the data files my doc, pictures ect from this one I am creating now.

05-16-2013, 12:11 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Sounds like a colour space issue somewhere along the line, have you checked the all settings for this before you go too far along trying to restore.
05-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

i have exactly the same problem..... I have two printers: P50 and 1500w, it started when i got stupid idea to upgrade the software for 1500w - everything went wrong i lost half day to revive printer to working state on my windows vista 64bit.... after succes i have noticed that every first picture i print has magenta tint, the subsequent pictures are fine, when i switc h to print from other printer it happens for this printer too - first picture: magenta, subsequent: fine... i think its the problem related to the software rather than hardware. The only solution i have right now is: don't print first picture after switching the printers in photoshop color management, press print with print prewiew and cancel it, next press print again and allow print the page this time. Its as if the colour management of my CS5 doesn't recognizes the printers at first time...
useful explanation: http://www.luminous-landscape.com/forum/index.php?topic=10377.0;wap2
by the way: magenta caste is a symptom of double profiling!!!

Last edited by filorp; 05-23-2013 at 06:40 AM.
05-24-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
i have exactly the same problem..... I have two printers: P50 and 1500w, it started when i got stupid idea to upgrade the software for 1500w - everything went wrong i lost half day to revive printer to working state on my windows vista 64bit.... after succes i have noticed that every first picture i print has magenta tint, the subsequent pictures are fine, when i switc h to print from other printer it happens for this printer too - first picture: magenta, subsequent: fine... i think its the problem related to the software rather than hardware. The only solution i have right now is: don't print first picture after switching the printers in photoshop color management, press print with print prewiew and cancel it, next press print again and allow print the page this time. Its as if the colour management of my CS5 doesn't recognizes the printers at first time...
useful explanation: Epson 2100 (2200), ICC Profiles and color cast
by the way: magenta caste is a symptom of double profiling!!!
interesting, i ahve always suspected thaht my problem is double profiling but I can't see why every thing is set as it was and should be
05-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
in the image capture10 the printer is set to no colour management and the software to pf gloss, this weird colour shift will result in either CS5 or Elements 8 or Lr 4 or Qimage.

If the software however to printer manages colours and then the printer software set to no colour management the images look like the image capture11

if the software is set to printer manages colours and the printer software set to icm and pf gloss selected it looks like capture12

no matter what I have tried including uninstalling and reinstalling both the printer and it's drivers and uninstalling and installing lightroom this effect is still the same ,

Can it be windows 7 and xp has had some update that has screwed things up is question one?

and question two is, since if I let the printer manage the colours it seems to work ok is there any reason why I have to use the let Photoshop manage option?

the only thing I have not done or tried is to back up all the data and reinstall windows and all the software from scratch as if it is a new pc.

Last edited by adwb; 08-14-2013 at 05:34 AM.
05-24-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
bxf
Veteran Member

I know this is somewhat simplistic, but if I'm not mistaken, I recall situations where the Epson Print Preview did not accurately reflect the end result. I assume you are not relying only on the preview. If you are, this may be worth a read: Why Does the Epson Print Preview Image Look so Bad? - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

Certainly the Win7 driver is different from the XP version. Perhaps this is the reason for the discrepancy.
05-24-2013, 04:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bxf Quote
I know this is somewhat simplistic, but if I'm not mistaken, I recall situations where the Epson Print Preview did not accurately reflect the end result. I assume you are not relying only on the preview. If you are, this may be worth a read: Why Does the Epson Print Preview Image Look so Bad? - Photo Tips @ Earthbound Light

Certainly the Win7 driver is different from the XP version. Perhaps this is the reason for the discrepancy.
Thanks, yes i know the print preview is inaccuracy and is best used to check nothing silly is happening with the layout, but the prints do acctually come out as per the preview shots i attached believe it or not.

what I am trying to establish is what difference if any does using the Epson software to select a custom profile rather than the editing software make to a final print?

I also read that article and in fact it is a bit wrong as it says if you use the Epson software you cant select custom profiles and that is completely wrong.
05-24-2013, 04:34 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
I also read that article and in fact it is a bit wrong as it says if you use the Epson software you cant select custom profiles and that is completely wrong
Its not completely wrong!!! One can not do it with software that comes with P50 i can do it with 1500w however with 1500w i am limited to Epson profiles, can't use my own profiles from color munki. Each printer has more or less extended color management it doesnt matter anyway as the mainstream color management scholars say: set printer color management to NO set the color management of your developing software to YES.
05-24-2013, 04:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
Its not completely wrong!!! One can not do it with software that comes with P50 i can do it with 1500w however with 1500w i am limited to Epson profiles, can't use my own profiles from color munki. Each printer has more or less extended color management it doesnt matter anyway as the mainstream color management scholars say: set printer color management to NO set the color management of your developing software to YES.
on the 1500 do you have a section called mode on the printing preferences page?
if so click custom the use the dropdown menu on the colour controls bar to select ICM then click on the advanced tab
on the new screen that opens tick top left show all profiles then if you use the dropdown from printer prifle tab you will see all the profiles on the pc.