Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-29-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Computer needs more ram. How to proceed?

Recently tried a pano using 7 frames from a sigma DP1Merrill. The frames were 80mb each tiffs. PSE11 merged all the shots fine then asked if I wanted it to fill in the edges. Checked yes, it worked a few seconds and said it didn't have enough ram. Never had any problem with this computer before.

Computer is Dell Studio with Intel I5 750 processor and 6gb ram. How much ram can I add and how much should I add? How do I know what type of memory I need. Any idea what it will cost? Try to keep it computer simple. No expert here.
thanks
barondla

05-29-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What is the exact computer model? How many memory slots does it have?
05-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Also depends on which operating system you are using as well...if it isn't 64 bit then you can't access anything above 4GB anyway.
05-29-2013, 11:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote
Recently tried a pano using 7 frames from a sigma DP1Merrill. The frames were 80mb each tiffs. PSE11 merged all the shots fine then asked if I wanted it to fill in the edges. Checked yes, it worked a few seconds and said it didn't have enough ram. Never had any problem with this computer before.

Computer is Dell Studio with Intel I5 750 processor and 6gb ram. How much ram can I add and how much should I add? How do I know what type of memory I need. Any idea what it will cost? Try to keep it computer simple. No expert here.
thanks
barondla
yes, we need computer details

go to RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com and use the finder to see what RAM type you need. Get that type in any brand, although crucial is top-notch.
you may need to have someone help you install it.
Alternatively, you an take it to best buy or microcenter and they will do it for you.
newegg.com is a good place to buy ram if you have a friend to install it.
they also have a memory finder: Newegg.com - Memory Finder Tool

05-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think it would be insufficient RAM in the computer An i5 processor with 6G RAM sounds like more than enough.
PSE 11 has setting in Edit/Preferences/Performance for amount of RAM to use. Check this is not set to a small amount. I find 2.5 g to be sufficient for most needs.
History Cache may be clogged up. Save and close and reopen images you are working with
Close any image files that might be open in PSE
Shut down any other programs that might be running.
If all else fails reduce the file size of the images you are trying to merge
05-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I think the image is big enough that it could be a RAM problem, but it's true that many "out of memory" messages are misleading, if not outright false. It may be, for example, that you have enough RAM, but the OS or application can't allocate any more (which could even be because it's poorly written or not configured well).

Investigate a little more, or at least make sure you can return the RAM if you don't need it. But in general I think you'll be better off with a minimum of 8 to 16 GB of RAM for working with images like this. It sounds like you're running Windows - make sure it's the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.
05-30-2013, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
I think the image is big enough that it could be a RAM problem, but it's true that many "out of memory" messages are misleading, if not outright false. It may be, for example, that you have enough RAM, but the OS or application can't allocate any more (which could even be because it's poorly written or not configured well).

Investigate a little more, or at least make sure you can return the RAM if you don't need it. But in general I think you'll be better off with a minimum of 8 to 16 GB of RAM for working with images like this. It sounds like you're running Windows - make sure it's the 64-bit version of Windows 7 or 8.
Photoshop Elements 11 is a 32 bit program. It will run on a 64bit OS but only in 32 bit mode. Extra RAM will not help in my opinion.

05-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bruce Clark Quote
Photoshop Elements 11 is a 32 bit program. It will run on a 64bit OS but only in 32 bit mode. Extra RAM will not help in my opinion.
Thanks for the info - I didn't realize this (I don't run PSE). Apparently it's 64-bit only on the mac. I think a different application would be in order. A good idea might be to try the 30-day Photoshop CS6 trial (or Creative Cloud version), or a dedicated stitching program. Seven 80MB TIFFs on a 32-bit imaging app is just asking for trouble (well, I suppose I'm thinking more of 20-30+ image panoramas, but it's still a bad idea).
05-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by barondla Quote

thanks
barondla
Barondla, go in here and find out

SDRAM, DDR2 and DDR RAM memory upgrades from Crucial.com
05-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Went to the Crucial site and input Dell Studio XPS. Recommends ( 2gb X 3 ) DDR3 1600 1.5v 256meg X64. Not very expensive at less than $70.

Opened PSE 11 and looked at performance settings. Available Ram is 3255MB. It recommends 1790-2343. It was set to 2278 as default. Should I raise this?
History & Cache set to History states: 50 and Cache Levels: 6

Computer is Dell Studio XPS with Intel core i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67 Ghz. Installed memory 6.00 GB. 64-bit Operating System. Windows 7 Home Premium. PSE is using drive C ( approx 750 GB available). My image files are on external hard drives. Only use this computer for image editing.
thanks
barondla
05-31-2013, 07:50 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sounds like you already have what Crucial recommends. You might get 3x 4gb sticks if yours has 3 memory slots, thought that is a REALLY weird number since normally memory slots are in pairs.
06-01-2013, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Don't add any memory if your issue is Photoshop Elements. I have 16 gb of memory on my computer and it still gives me that same message if I do a decent sized panorama and try to fill in the edges. The edge fill isn't usually that great anyway. But the issue is the Elements on PC is a 32 bit program and can't see more than 4 Gig of memory. So it wouldn't really matter how much you would add, you would still be in the same boat.
06-02-2013, 03:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

What about trying the operation in a different program that has less overhead. (perhaps freeware to test..!) I have no idea of the overheads for a pano-merging program, but 7x80MB is not that massive for a 4-6GB RAM machine, and it might be a problem of too much other overheads running in parallel.
06-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't need more RAM, you need a better stitching solution...

Free
Hugin - Panorama photo stitcher

Microsoft Research Image Composite Editor (ICE)

Not Free (both have free trials)
Autopano Pro | Panorama software for Windows, Mac, Linux | Kolor

PTgui
06-09-2013, 01:36 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Don't know if it will help but if you have an extra empty 4gb USB thumb drive you can designate it to use speed boost. (Win7 feature) just right click on the thumb drive or it may automatically give you that option.