Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 01:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Topaz Fusion Install Help

Ok, I am not a computer novice. But this is making me nuts.

I have downloaded Topaz's Fusion program to run their plugins under LR. I run the packet and it says its installed. Ok, then I go to LR and open the Edit>Preferences>External Editing and look under "Application" by clicking on "Choose". Then I go to the location specified by Topaz - C:>Program Files>Topaz Labs>Topaz Funsion Express 2 (64-bit) and open it to find - and empty folder!

I'm supposed to find "Topaz Fusion Express.exe" but there is no .exe file in the folder at all.

What am I missing here?

Why all the confusion and misleading information on how to get this to work? I just started scrolling through menus and found the above and I now have a photo open in Clarity and am editing it. Geez!

Last edited by Docrwm; 05-31-2013 at 02:30 PM.
05-31-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I wanted to try the new Clarity tool from Topaz. I didn't have the same problem as you - I got Fusion to install fine, and it showed up when I clicked "Edit In" - then "Clarity" was in the list just like it should be. But when I clicked on "Clarity" I got an error screen. Tried re-installing a couple times etc. - finally gave up and just un-installed everything. Not worth it to me after spending an hour to try to make it work.

I have the whole NIK set from the special earlier this year - plenty enough for me to learn and play with.
05-31-2013, 03:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
I wanted to try the new Clarity tool from Topaz. I didn't have the same problem as you - I got Fusion to install fine, and it showed up when I clicked "Edit In" - then "Clarity" was in the list just like it should be. But when I clicked on "Clarity" I got an error screen. Tried re-installing a couple times etc. - finally gave up and just un-installed everything. Not worth it to me after spending an hour to try to make it work.

I have the whole NIK set from the special earlier this year - plenty enough for me to learn and play with.
NIK? Sorry, post processing is my least favorite part of photography. Funny, I used to like being in the lightroom back in the old days.
05-31-2013, 03:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
NIK? Sorry, post processing is my least favorite part of photography. Funny, I used to like being in the lightroom back in the old days.
How is Clarity tool different from any of the NIK tools in that respect? The Topaz tools have the same presets and sliders as NIK.

05-31-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How is Clarity tool different from any of the NIK tools in that respect? The Topaz tools have the same presets and sliders as NIK.
Not sure what NIK is Stan.
05-31-2013, 05:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Not sure what NIK is Stan.
Sorry - I get lazy sometimes using acronyms.....

Nik Collection

This is the same as Topaz plugins - they are an add on specific editor that you use within Lightroom or Photoshop (and Corel PSP I think).

As far as how they work, it is the same as Topaz products. Once installed, you access them through the "Edit In' function in Lightroom, then a new window opens with the specific plugin to work on your image. Each of the plugins treats a certain aspect of the image (noise, sharpness, etc.) and has lots of presets to use along with intensity sliders.
05-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry - I get lazy sometimes using acronyms.....

Nik Collection

This is the same as Topaz plugins - they are an add on specific editor that you use within Lightroom or Photoshop (and Corel PSP I think).

As far as how they work, it is the same as Topaz products. Once installed, you access them through the "Edit In' function in Lightroom, then a new window opens with the specific plugin to work on your image. Each of the plugins treats a certain aspect of the image (noise, sharpness, etc.) and has lots of presets to use along with intensity sliders.
Thanks. There are fewer of them but they are cheaper. The descriptions sound good. At this point I have the three I think I need for Topaz so I'm good. Now I have to decide if LR4 is worth $70 or whether I should just wait for LR5 to come out of Beta.

05-31-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks. There are fewer of them but they are cheaper. The descriptions sound good. At this point I have the three I think I need for Topaz so I'm good. Now I have to decide if LR4 is worth $70 or whether I should just wait for LR5 to come out of Beta.
I'm really torn right now myself - been using Acdsee Pro for years now - it can do every bit of what Lightroom can do, and I still hate the Library function in LR even after 3 months now really trying to get used to it. My main reason for trying LR is the fact of being able to use these plugins like Topaz and NIK.

That's a tough call on upgrading now or waiting for the public version of LR 5. For me it would depend on the cost - what the upgrade price would be from v3 to v5 or from v4 to v5. I jumped in to LR recently with v4, so to keep up to date I will likely upgrade right away as long as there is a decent upgrade discount.

I would be a happy camper if I could use the plugins with Acdsee Pro - I hate where I am now using 2 different editors. It makes it hard to get proficient with one or the other.
05-31-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm really torn right now myself - been using Acdsee Pro for years now - it can do every bit of what Lightroom can do, and I still hate the Library function in LR even after 3 months now really trying to get used to it. My main reason for trying LR is the fact of being able to use these plugins like Topaz and NIK.

That's a tough call on upgrading now or waiting for the public version of LR 5. For me it would depend on the cost - what the upgrade price would be from v3 to v5 or from v4 to v5. I jumped in to LR recently with v4, so to keep up to date I will likely upgrade right away as long as there is a decent upgrade discount.

I would be a happy camper if I could use the plugins with Acdsee Pro - I hate where I am now using 2 different editors. It makes it hard to get proficient with one or the other.
Speaking of getting proficient, I have a On-Demand Course card from Adorama that would be a good way for me to learn LR4. If I upgrade I would have that to help me learn all its intricacies.
05-31-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Speaking of getting proficient, I have a On-Demand Course card from Adorama that would be a good way for me to learn LR4. If I upgrade I would have that to help me learn all its intricacies.
I would highly recommend that course of action. I thoughly digested Scott Kelby's book on Lightroom 4 and found it a huge help. I've gone back to it as a reference many times. That on-demand course would do the same or more - once you understand all the principals of the functions the rest comes much easier.