Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
LR4 - Missing Camera Profiles

Started using Lightroom a month ago and noticed I see my DNG files previews with the "Adobe Standard" profile. Sometimes I´d prefer seeing them with the setting I used on camera.

Does anyone knows how to fix this? I searched a lot but could not find a definitive answer

Thanks,
Francisco

Last edited by carrrlangas; 06-12-2013 at 09:00 AM.
06-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

tick the embedded or better still use passport colour checker to create your own
06-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know I can click the Embedded colour profile for each individual photo, but how do I set Lightroom so that it displays the Embedded profile by default? I don't want to have to change the profile for every photo, I only want to see Embedded colours.
06-10-2013, 01:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I know I can click the Embedded colour profile for each individual photo, but how do I set Lightroom so that it displays the Embedded profile by default? I don't want to have to change the profile for every photo, I only want to see Embedded colours.
Change the profile to embedded on a photo then create a user preset which only contains that setting. Then at import you can select this preset in the quick development (?) options on the right side of the import window.
I don't have LR here so I can't tell the exact details, but hopefully you get the idea.

06-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Change the profile to embedded on a photo then create a user preset which only contains that setting. Then at import you can select this preset in the quick development (?) options on the right side of the import window.
I don't have LR here so I can't tell the exact details, but hopefully you get the idea.
Thanks Simico, I'll check it out. I'm a new LR user. I had noticed the User Presets field, but have not used it yet.
06-10-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I know I can click the Embedded colour profile for each individual photo, but how do I set Lightroom so that it displays the Embedded profile by default?
Another way to achieve this is to change your default Develop settings.

Change the camera profile to "Embedded" and then press the "Alt" key to make the "Reset" button turn into a "Set Default" button. Click the latter and (after a confirmation) all your current Develop settings will be used as the standard settings for future images (and you can "Reset" to them). This is also a good way to set a standard sharpening level, etc.

I prefer changing the Default settings to using an import preset.
06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
tick the embedded or better still use passport colour checker to create your own
You can also use the Adobe DNG Profile editor to create your own.

However without the use of a colour checker (or similar) this won't be easy.

I've personally have not achieved good results with the automated passport colour checker process (neither with a K100D nor a K-5 II). Colours are different but not better, AFAIC. I often prefer "Adobe Standard" over the calibrated profiles.

I'll try some more manual tweaking with the profile editor now. Looks promising.

06-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by simico Quote
Yeah, that is what I usually do. You could create a preset for each lens that also sets the lens corrections to save some time. Another option is to right click a photo that you have already processed and copy develop settings and then highlight the other photos that you want to have the same or similar processing and paste the develop settings. If you are clicking the same buttons or moving the same sliders for each photo, saving the settings as a preset and then importing using that preset saves alot of time!

Mike
06-10-2013, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, But I want to see the "Camera Standard", "Camera Portrait", "Camera Landscape" that should be available for the K-5 and mimic the profile used by the camera when output set to JPEG.
I am using RAW only now and I find the LR export a bit dull compared to the OoC JPEG
06-10-2013, 12:37 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by carrrlangas Quote
Thanks for the replies, But I want to see the "Camera Standard", "Camera Portrait", "Camera Landscape" that should be available for the K-5 and mimic the profile used by the camera when output set to JPEG.
I am using RAW only now and I find the LR export a bit dull compared to the OoC JPEG
I previously looked that up and Lightroom does not include those calibration presets for Pentax. You get Adobe Standard or Embedded. There are also some calibration presets that other users have created that you could download and try, and you can make them if you have an X-rite Passport. As I and others have stated, you could process a photo and adjust the sharpening, clarity, vibrancy, satuation, etc. and save that as a preset which you could then use when importing to give you a look similar to the OOC settings.

Mike
06-10-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The Pentax software that came with the camera will import all your camera settings. Unfortunately LR won't.
06-10-2013, 01:27 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Pentax software that came with the camera will import all your camera settings. Unfortunately LR won't.
Oh, ok. But, Although LR won´t read it, the information IS in the DNG file? or only if I use PEF?
06-10-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Oh, ok. But, Although LR won´t read it, the information IS in the DNG file? or only if I use PEF?
Pentax software will read and display the camera settings in either DNG or PEF format.
06-10-2013, 03:07 PM   #14
Veteran Member

All the information is recorded in the out of camera DNG or PEF, but since LR doesn't support the Pentax Profiles, it won't read that info.

Personally, I don't find that a huge issue. I have a rather generic develop setting to automate the process to something that looks like how I would want things "out of camera" and then I tweak it from there. I almost never bother with the profiles as I find the coloring by default is decent for my camera. If I feel it is off, I usually just tweak it as part of the developing leaving the profiles alone. I'm not sure there is a right way, however, so the key is to find what works for you.

I think, as a new user, you might be best served to just play around with the program and at how quick you can adjust things and find what is intuitive to you. Find out what works via automation be it the auto-exposure and levels or manual tweaks that get what you want. It also may be worth getting a book on LR to get a feel for the process. That actually helped me immensely.

LR is not necessarily easy for getting that out of camera look (i.e. getting an image that matches what the camera gets), but I think it excels at giving you an image better than the camera's JPG. It is those tweaks that you need to get you from what the camera gives you to a final product that Lightroom makes easier. That should really be the criteria for any RAW processor. If out of camera is good enough for you, you might not really need RAW.
06-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #15
rfg

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Another way to achieve this is to change your default Develop settings.

Change the camera profile to "Embedded" and then press the "Alt" key to make the "Reset" button turn into a "Set Default" button. Click the latter and (after a confirmation) all your current Develop settings will be used as the standard settings for future images (and you can "Reset" to them). This is also a good way to set a standard sharpening level, etc.

I prefer changing the Default settings to using an import preset.

Quick question: if I change the develop settings as you suggest, do the changes show up on the sliders? eg if I create a setting with clarity 10, vibrance 20, when I open a new photo in develop are the sliders at zero or 10/20?
(sorry, no access to lightroom just now or I'd try and see)