Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2013, 02:09 PM   #1

Silkypix Developer Studio 3.0 for K-30 driving me nuts

I took about 850 photos yesterday in RAW+ mode, and I wanted to process some of these using the software bundled with my K-30. I was comparing the JPG output by the camera (Natural mode) with what DS3 showed me as having the "Camera settings". However, I had a great deal of trouble getting the image in DS3 to look as good (subjectively) as the JPG.

After a couple of hours, I eventually managed to get a slightly better looking image from DS3, but it is not without its flaws (subjectively) compared to the JPG.

The most glaring difference is the colours - DS3 using the "Camera setting" is off on the white balance (compared to JPG)! The colour temperature seems fine. However, there is a colour cast on this image which to remove (subjectively, again), I needed to change the "Color deflection" setting from the "Camera setting" value of -3, to -10. This change seems to get the red and the orange to match up closest with the out-of-camera JPG. However, the yellow and the blue are still off. Admittedly, I prefer the skin tones in this image after the settings change I just described. But the increase in green causes the yellow to become yellower, and the blue to become less blue (see 2nd attachment). I also changed the "Dark adjustment" setting from 0 to 20.

Next, for the tone settings, I changed Contrast to 0.80, and Gamma to 1.00.

For noise reduction settings, I changed "False color ctrl" to 70, and "Noise reduction" to 0. In sharpness settings, I changed "Detail emphasis" to 100 (although I didn't notice much of a difference with this, if any). With these settings, I got a more pleasant noise result than the out-of-camera JPG. See the first attached image, which is zoomed at 200% (maybe not any more, as this forum may have resized it).

The DS3 image retains considerably more detail on the wall and darker areas (jacket, etc.), so that is another bonus.

Has anybody figured out how to get DS3 to apply the same settings as the in-camera JPG engine? I couldn't find info any after searching the Web for a while.

Attached Images

06-12-2013, 07:05 PM   #2

Original Poster
After wasting a bit more time with Silkypix DS3, and not being able to get as good a JPG as from the camera, I decided to try the trial version of Adobe Lightroom 5. I'm very pleased with the results - I got the image looking better than the camera JPG with no trouble. DS3 is going to be uninstalled!
06-13-2013, 06:42 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Try Gimp, digiKam(wich is similar to lightroom) , Raw Therapee or darktable.

Last edited by carlosodze; 06-13-2013 at 07:01 PM.