Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-10-2013, 07:52 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The new MacPro "later on this year"

Since I was looking to upgrade my computer, I came across this:

Apple - Mac Pro
http://www.macworld.com/article/2041203/the-wait-is-nearly-over-apple-unveils-new-mac-pro.html

What do you think?

JP

06-10-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks amazing. Rally small, intelligent design... Increadebly expensive for sure.
A cylinder 10" tall and diameter of 7" with all that processing power..
The only thing I don´t understand is why the power plug is in the same place as the data connections, power button, speakers / headphones. Does not make sense
06-10-2013, 10:15 PM   #3
Forum Member

that's one powerful pickle-jar-sized machine, impressive.
Looks modular enough to allow a few different factory configurations.
Improved power management in the OS will help it stay cool.
if only it would boot Snow Leopard, I'd pre-order that. I see OSX 10.7 and up to be downgrades in functionality for how I use my macs.
06-11-2013, 02:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

dark R2-D2

06-11-2013, 02:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

It looks like a small trashbin! You know, the ones for bathrooms. Probably going to be twice the price of a PC with the same specifications, like always.
06-11-2013, 04:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
It looks like a small trashbin! You know, the ones for bathrooms. Probably going to be twice the price of a PC with the same specifications, like always.
And by the looks of it you can not upgrade it yourself like the older Mac Pro.
It looks nice though but is this what the profesional industrie really wants, looks more like a rich kids toy.
Looks to me a white MAC is an intersting solution.
06-11-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
And by the looks of it you can not upgrade it yourself like the older Mac Pro.
It looks nice though but is this what the profesional industrie really wants, looks more like a rich kids toy.
Looks to me a white MAC is an intersting solution.
SSD is upgradable, RAM is to, what more do you nead(by the way last Mac Pro was the same)? All other upgrades are through thunderbolt 2.

06-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
SSD is upgradable, RAM is to, what more do you nead(by the way last Mac Pro was the same)? All other upgrades are through thunderbolt 2.
When was the last time someone upgraded a graphics card? I don't think you can even buy a third party graphics card that is Mac compatible anymore. I've already seen complaints that this is the Mac G4 Cube all over again...

In the meantime everyone is ignoring that Mac OS X 10.9 is going to be compatible with 2009 Macs...
06-11-2013, 07:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

In the last mac pro you could out in quite a lot of HDD for example and lets not forget audio and video devices... but it's good to hear you could upgrade it somewhat since it looked liked a close system.

Personally i don't like the options that you need to buy expensions so to say.
They now have a nice small Mac Pro but you need to buy external devices to make it useful so it counter productive if you ask me and they are forcing you to use a specific interface.
So if you want to upgrade a mac pro you need to buy external adapters for all the extra PCI cards and HDD.
And can you adapt thunderbolt to infiniband?
So... you end up with a small mac pro with 4 to 6 cables going out from it conecting to several devices around your desk while most of them normally are inside the case.
I really wonder how much the adapters and cable will cost and how reliable they are in the long run.
In my eye an direct connection is always better then adapters.

For house/small office this device would have been far better since they don't have that many specialized equipment but the hardware is overkill there.
06-11-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
In the meantime everyone is ignoring that Mac OS X 10.9 is going to be compatible with 2009 Macs...
Sux for my iMac 2007 witch still works fine and stable. Closed hardware system wins is in stability.
06-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
Sux for my iMac 2007 witch still works fine and stable. Closed hardware system wins is in stability.
But it's great for my 2009 mini Baseline HW FTW. Thank you Nvidia for continuing to support CUDA and OpenCL on the 9400M...
06-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Since I was looking to upgrade my computer, I came across this:

Apple - Mac Pro
The wait is nearly over: Apple unveils new Mac Pro | Macworld

What do you think?

JP
I think it's still early to form any reliable opinions so I'll offer an unreliable opinion. In some ways the new Mac Pro is a Mac mini for movie production houses and others of that uber-power need. Is it the first consumer computer to leave SATA behind? With the push Intel is making around Thunderbolt, the peripherals issues are going away and we can expect those costs to come down a bit. Also, moving "devices" out of the box will be the new norm before long. No need for massive data storage to be housed in individual desktops anymore. Expect it to be near silent compared to the existing Mac Pro, too.

All in all, my worthless prediction is it will be a killer machine.
06-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Video industrie not happy, most likely the end for Apple their if you consider Final Cut Pro as well...
Apple's Redesigned Mac Pro is Unlike Any Computer You've Ever Seen
06-11-2013, 02:34 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was just browsing the Apple site "just in case" and came across the funny looking Mac.
But, as my bro-in-law says: should be quite a machine; of course, he's a computer expert, having worked for nearly 30 years with all sorts of computers (Nortel, Mitel, GvtCda ... etc) and he still uses a PC as well as a Mac Pro at his home.

For me, it doesn't look like a Mac wouold fit the requirements only because of one thing: no Apple dealers here, the closest being at least 200 Km away.
I would hate to have it serviced.

JP
06-11-2013, 02:54 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
I was just browsing the Apple site "just in case" and came across the funny looking Mac.
But, as my bro-in-law says: should be quite a machine; of course, he's a computer expert, having worked for nearly 30 years with all sorts of computers (Nortel, Mitel, GvtCda ... etc) and he still uses a PC as well as a Mac Pro at his home.

For me, it doesn't look like a Mac wouold fit the requirements only because of one thing: no Apple dealers here, the closest being at least 200 Km away.
I would hate to have it serviced.

JP
What would need to be serviced? The storage is solid state, there is no optical drive, the only thing that moves is the fan. 1 fan. The whole thing is a giant heatsink. If anything goes wrong while it is under warranty the whole machine will probably be replaced anyway.